What's the worst graphic card...

Marcus M?nnig wrote:
> If it turns out to be such a problem I hear
> one brand name in nine of ten cases.

"CGA" is not a brand name. <g>

--
Ben

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

...from the developer point of view?

Whenever I release a piece of software to a certain number of users, some
run into strange problems, e.g. lockups. I usually advise to turn off
graphic acceleration and see if the problem still exists to see if it is a
graphic card (driver) problem. If it turns out to be such a problem I hear
one brand name in nine of ten cases.

Anyone with similar observations?

Marcus
--
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

> Whenever I release a piece of software to a certain number of users, some
> run into strange problems, e.g. lockups. I usually advise to turn off
> graphic acceleration and see if the problem still exists to see if it is a
> graphic card (driver) problem. If it turns out to be such a problem I hear
> one brand name in nine of ten cases.

> Anyone with similar observations?

The easiest way to find the worst are to see what doesn't work with
PcAnywhere and Laplink  The worst are Intel Graphic Cards on board, which
PcAnywhere requires compatability mode (i.e. SVGA only), and Laplink GPFs.
S3 cards have always been fairly poor as well.  IMHO any on-board video card
is worth the money you pay for it.

There is an interesting write up on emulators.com about how bad ATI cards
are (http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm#ATI), and there are plenty of web
sites about with alternate drivers for ATI.

This leaves NVidia.  Good luck.

Oliver Townshend

Oliver Townshend wrote:
> > Whenever I release a piece of software to a certain number of users, some
> > run into strange problems, e.g. lockups. I usually advise to turn off
> > graphic acceleration and see if the problem still exists to see if it is a
> > graphic card (driver) problem. If it turns out to be such a problem I hear
> > one brand name in nine of ten cases.

> > Anyone with similar observations?

> The easiest way to find the worst are to see what doesn't work with
> PcAnywhere and Laplink  The worst are Intel Graphic Cards on board, which
> PcAnywhere requires compatability mode (i.e. SVGA only), and Laplink GPFs.
> S3 cards have always been fairly poor as well.  IMHO any on-board video card
> is worth the money you pay for it.

> There is an interesting write up on emulators.com about how bad ATI cards
> are (http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm#ATI), and there are plenty of web
> sites about with alternate drivers for ATI.

That's funny. I have used nothing but ATI cards for the last 6+ years and have
had no problems. This is on every version of windows except Me which is {*word*99}
anyway. From simple ATI cards to the Radeon All-In-Wonder. All have work
flawlessly. It's strange that for a card that is so bad, it's the #2 video card
manufacture in the world.

"Jim Cooper" <jcoo...@tabdee.ltd.uk> wrote in message

> > This leaves NVidia.

> The nVidia card in this Dell Inspiron latop is a heap of {*word*99}.

Why, what has been your experience with it?

Personally, I find it to work nicely... now... Indeed, one day before I had
to give an important presentation, the video card just died! Thanks god, the
screen was readable enough for me to burn a CD and give my presentation from
someone else's laptop. The technician came once I was back home and all he
had to do was to replace the video chip. The problem couldn't have occurred
at a worst time though... and only a few weeks after I had received my
laptop! Having said that, I have since the beginning experiencing problems
with the LCD screen, which seems to touch the keyboard, resulting in quite a
few marks on the screen. Indeed, I keep my laptop closed most of the time,
since I use a docking station. Dell has never been willing to recognise the
problem! :(

Anyway, apart from that, I am happy with nVidia... :)

    Alan.

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

> This leaves NVidia.

The nVidia card in this Dell Inspiron latop is a heap of {*word*99}.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper      jcoo...@tabdee.ltd.uk
Tabdee Ltd      http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

> That's funny. I have used nothing but ATI cards for the last 6+ years and
have
> had no problems. This is on every version of windows except Me which is
{*word*99}
> anyway. From simple ATI cards to the Radeon All-In-Wonder. All have work
> flawlessly. It's strange that for a card that is so bad, it's the #2 video
card
> manufacture in the world.

ATI has been known to have bad/poorly developed drivers for years. Its not
that they make bad cards, they just haven't taken the time to fully exploit
what the cards can do. If you've seen alot of BSOD over the last six years
that you can't blame on yourself, then there's a good chance it was the
video drivers. For the most part its mainly a performance thing, their cards
are supposed to reach some peak level of performance, but their drivers have
always held them back. To their credit, they have started to take a serious
position about it, the catalyst drivers. I myself have a radeon 8500
all-in-wonder(first one I considered buying), and usually after every driver
upgrade benchmarks improve. The card has been good, but updating the drivers
is a pain.

For the best drivers, its probably NVidia, they have been running a very
impressive setup for driver development that I would love to get my hands
on. They use a server farm to simulate there cards and run nightly builds of
the new driver set to do quality and speed testing on, it use to take them a
week to run such a build.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/areyouready/videos/downloads/engineroom...
ad.wmv

Its a little over 20megs, but a good tour of NVidia's server room.

DD

Jim Cooper wrote:
> The nVidia card in this Dell Inspiron latop is a heap of {*word*99}.

Uh ?? Why ??

Mine (GeForce 4 GO) works just fine for developpement and it can handle
games good enough for me (Ok, it's not to par with the ti 4600 I have
in my home machine, but hey, it's a laptop).

Good luck,
Stephane

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

Marcus M?nnig <usenet-oc...@40tude.com> wrote in

> Anyone with similar observations?

The worst card I ever had the misfortune of owning was a Diamond 2500.  I
would expect anyone who had one of these would have thrown it away by now,
though.

Jeff.

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

> Why, what has been your experience with it?

It doesn't work, or the drivers don't work, or both. I've gotten BSODs
since the day it arrives, and it regularly screws up screen drawing
(text appears as 1 pixel wide lines, for instance), and then hangs the
machine. XP almost always reports an error in the nVidia drivers, which
I have updated countless times.

> I have since the beginning experiencing problems
> with the LCD screen, which seems to touch the keyboard, resulting in quite a
> few marks on the screen.

I get that too.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper      jcoo...@tabdee.ltd.uk
Tabdee Ltd      http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

Re:What's the worst graphic card...

> Uh ?? Why ??

Because it keeps crashing or{*word*154} the machine.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

> > Why, what has been your experience with it?

> It doesn't work, or the drivers don't work, or both. I've gotten BSODs
> since the day it arrives, and it regularly screws up screen drawing
> (text appears as 1 pixel wide lines, for instance), and then hangs the
> machine. XP almost always reports an error in the nVidia drivers, which
> I have updated countless times.

Well, I surely don't get that at all, so I wonder whether your video card is
not simply malfunctioning.

> > I have since the beginning experiencing problems
> > with the LCD screen, which seems to touch the keyboard, resulting in
quite a
> > few marks on the screen.
> I get that too.

Did you try to get back to Dell on this? If so, what did they tell you?
Personally, the guy I had on the phone told me it's the product that I use
to clean my screen that is responsible for the problem. Total nonsense! I
have used that product on countless monitors and LCD screens without any
problem whatsoever. More interestingly, as I told him, the marks match the
location of some keys... I did send it back and they returned it to me
without doing anything to it! Waste of time! :(

    Alan.

Other Threads