Red eye reduction

I am developing an aplication to reduce the red eye of photos. Anyone know a
good algorithm or a place to start?
Thanks!

Re:Red eye reduction

"Monty" <jordimont...@eresmas.com> wrote in message news:3c73bee9_1@dnews...
> I am developing an aplication to reduce the red eye of photos. Anyone know a
> good algorithm or a place to start?

Here's a suggestion that seems to work for blue/green eyes:
http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/UseNet/2000/0204b.txt

But this comment says the above suggestion does not work for brown eyes:
http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/UseNet/2001/1128.txt

You might try asking your question in sci.image.processing, or perhaps sci.engr.color

--
efg -- Earl F. Glynn, Overland Park, KS  USA
efg's Computer Lab Mirror:  http://homepages.borland.com/efg2lab

Re:Red eye reduction

I had seen this two links and i had tested it, but it's not a good
algorithm. This turn the flesh around the eyes to green.
I will look the news you suggest.
Thanks!

On ??? 21 ??? 2002 11:11:38a , "Monty" <jordimont...@eresmas.com> wrote in
<3c74ba63_2@dnews>

>I had seen this two links and i had tested it, but it's not a good
>algorithm. This turn the flesh around the eyes to green.

You need to let the user to specify the arrea in which the filter
will run.

There are a number of ways to do this

 a) using a round selection tool (like Photoshop)
 b) create a form with a round transparent area
 ...etc

it is up to you how this should work but I have
a couple of ideas and I thing I could create a
round selection component which you could use
to visually select the arrea.

Regards
Johnnie.

Re:Red eye reduction

"Monty" <jordimont...@eresmas.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
 This turn the flesh around the eyes to green.

Just a try to solve the problem :

You could preserve luminosity :

for example :
1)first read luminosity l by converting :
RGB->hls

2)after in RGB you put

R:=min(G,B);

3)then convert again to hls

New_RGB->New_hls

4)replace new luminosity with old luminosity calculated in step 1 and
convert back to RGB

h_newl_s->RGB

Re:Red eye reduction

On 21.02.2002 10:11:38, Monty wrote:

> I had seen this two links and i had tested it, but it's not a good
> algorithm. This turn the flesh around the eyes to green.

You need to apply it to the middle of the eye only.

One way to do this is to use a magic wand tool to let the user select the
middle, since the red spot is surrounded by other colors before the skin.

Or you could let the user select a circle, start at the center of point and
go to the borders, but only until the red part of the pixels significantly
go down.

You may extended this with a computer geek option that automatically
removes the red {*word*76} vessel in the white part of eyes. ;-)

Marcus

Re:Red eye reduction

Thanks Francesco.
I will try!

"Francesco Savastano" <francos...@libero.it> escribi en el mensaje

> "Monty" <jordimont...@eresmas.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>  This turn the flesh around the eyes to green.

> Just a try to solve the problem :

> You could preserve luminosity :

> for example :
> 1)first read luminosity l by converting :
> RGB->hls

> 2)after in RGB you put

> R:=min(G,B);

> 3)then convert again to hls

> New_RGB->New_hls

> 4)replace new luminosity with old luminosity calculated in step 1 and
> convert back to RGB

> h_newl_s->RGB

Re:Red eye reduction

I have a request if you develop such a thing.  I had to manually fix some pictures of my dog, because "red-eye" in a dog (or at least mine) is really "green-eye".  Please make your solution color-independent!
Monty wrote:
> I am developing an aplication to reduce the red eye of photos. Anyone know a
> good algorithm or a place to start?
> Thanks!

Other Threads