Access 2000 and BDE

Help,

I wrote an application for a customer using D5 and Access 2000. I connect to
the database through the BDE and ODBC. I use TTables and TQueries. When I
wrote the application the customer had a Windows NT 4 / Windows 98
environment, and everything worked great. Now they have upgraded to Windows
2000, and we have big problems.

Specifically, when more than one user is hitting a specific table at once,
the database table gets crushed so bad that I cannot repair it with Access
2000. I have to delete the records from the table. This has happened several
times.

My question (finally) is this: What is causing this? I seriously suspect the
BDE with Windows 2000, but I don't want to get into a major modification
unless I know for sure that I'm correct. Does anyone know FOR SURE that
these things happen with this combination (D5, W2K, BDE 5.11, ODBC)? If so,
what are the alternatives? Do I have to go to ADO Tables (or whatever)? How
big of a job will it be for an application with 15 screens and a database
with 30 tables?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

P.S. I'm sorry about double posting this (I posted under
borland.public.delphi.database.desktop) but I didn't get an answer over
there, and since this may be a BDE issue, here I am.

Re:Access 2000 and BDE

I have same problem with Access 97
Anybody know if Windows 2000 is the problem?

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:10:07 +0100, "Gabriele" <gabr...@tin.it> wrote:
>I have same problem with Access 97
>Anybody know if Windows 2000 is the problem?

Actually the problem is in the MS MDB format and driver interface.  The MDB
file format is an MS proprietary interface which can only be accessed
through MS provided drivers.

The implementation of the MDB interface is very inefficient on usage.  for
every update,  the interface creates a delete followed by an insert.  for
every delete,  the space is not re-used until the database is compacted.
The indexing structure does not seem to handle high-volume updates very
well.  In some cases,  the delete step occurs,  but the following insert
never happens,  causing an orphaning of data,  which the index assumes is
still present in the file...

Once all of the above had come to my attention,  I have been migrating away
from the MDB format for the storage of anything which I feel I might want
to retrieve any time...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@iwc.net
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:Access 2000 and BDE

I cannot connect Access 2000 data bases to Borland C++ Builder
via BDE - only Access 97 data bases. How do I have to proceed?

Holger Perlt

Re:Access 2000 and BDE

For a while, people were having this problem on NT4 and it was
attributed to NT's default cache settings. Mr. Bill's use of lazy
writes was corrupting MDB files left and right. But there is a way to
fix this problem in the registry. Is it possible your customer fixed
the problem in NT4, but did not carry over the fix into 2000? Knowing
MS, it's safe to assume the problem still exists in 2000.

Matt Jacobs

--

My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via

Re:Access 2000 and BDE

  Hi

  Could you please inform us how you could fix this problem via the
registry..?

  It would be greatly appreciated...  :o)

--
Werner A Cloete
Old Mutual, South Africa

"Matt Jacobs" <mat...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

: For a while, people were having this problem on NT4 and it was
: attributed to NT's default cache settings. Mr. Bill's use of lazy
: writes was corrupting MDB files left and right. But there is a way to
: fix this problem in the registry. Is it possible your customer fixed
: the problem in NT4, but did not carry over the fix into 2000? Knowing
: MS, it's safe to assume the problem still exists in 2000.
:
: Matt Jacobs
:
:
:
: --
:
: My reply-to address is purposely mangled to thwart auto-reply bots.
: Please remove the two leading underscores if you wish to reply via
: e-mail.

Other Threads