New free software: UDP Multicast Test

UDP Multicast Test is free software for windows 95 and up.

Intro:

    Use it to test your local area network and your internet

    provider's multicast support.

    Computer joins multicast group.

    Computer sends message every second to multicast group.

    All other computers do the same.

    Computer receives messages from group.

Take part in a multicast test event:

    From 10-july-2001 to 17-july-2001:

    I will run the UDP Multicast Test.

    This is your and my chance to test.

    I have cable modem, @home internet provider.

    I tried a 33k6 telephone modem, dial-up internet provider.

    The dial-up provider does not have multicast support ?

    So if you have a telephone modem you are probably out of luck.

Surf to:

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

I hope to see you on the multicast backbone !
--
UDP Speed Test is free software for windows 95 and up.
Use it to test the receive speed of a computer.

Re:New free software: UDP Multicast Test

What exactly is multi cast? Why would I want to use it? Will your testing
bring our @Home service to a snails pace?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:42:45 GMT, "Chuck" <csurv...@nothome.com>
wrote:

>What exactly is multi cast?

http://www.stardust.com/multicast/intro.htm

IP Multicast enables one copy of digital information, such as a video
stream, to be received by multiple computers simultaneously. Prior to
implementing Multicast, all traffic in IP networks is unicast:
point-to-point data flow. For instance, in a conference, copies of the
same data are sent point-to-point to however many receivers are
present. With IP Multicast, one copy of the same data, sent to a group
address, goes to one router which sends to multiple receivers.

> Why would I want to use it?

Network managers and service providers can realize significant
bandwidth savings across networks by using IP Multicast. While this
entails that many networks be upgraded, the return on investment can
be quite rapid, depending upon the application. For network providers
already working with a broadcast model, migration to IP Multicast can
be relatively easy. For instance, the Multicast model is a natural fit
to many existing Internet satellite vendors, whose system are already
Multicast-capable.

> Will your testing bring our @Home service to a snails pace?

No.

The software send a small message per second.

Suppose there are 1000 users online.

Then it would cost 100 kb / second.

When your done testing you can stop the software and everything
returns to normal.

>"Skybuck" <skybuck2...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> UDP Multicast Test is free software for windows 95 and up.

>> Intro:

>>     Use it to test your local area network and your internet

>>     provider's multicast support.

>>     Computer joins multicast group.

>>     Computer sends message every second to multicast group.

>>     All other computers do the same.

>>     Computer receives messages from group.

>> Take part in a multicast test event:

>>     From 10-july-2001 to 17-july-2001:

>>     I will run the UDP Multicast Test.

>>     This is your and my chance to test.

>>     I have cable modem, @home internet provider.

>>     I tried a 33k6 telephone modem, dial-up internet provider.

>>     The dial-up provider does not have multicast support ?

>>     So if you have a telephone modem you are probably out of luck.

>> Surf to:

>> http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

>> I hope to see you on the multicast backbone !

--
UDP Speed Test is free software for windows 95 and up.
Use it to test the receive speed of a computer.
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

Re:New free software: UDP Multicast Test

First, i was unable to download software, so i could not look.
Does it have source code associated with it? I assume
it is written in C given that it is posted to comp.lang.c?

denis

"Skybuck" <skybuck2...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> UDP Multicast Test is free software for windows 95 and up.

> Intro:

>     Use it to test your local area network and your internet

>     provider's multicast support.

>     Computer joins multicast group.

>     Computer sends message every second to multicast group.

>     All other computers do the same.

>     Computer receives messages from group.

> Take part in a multicast test event:

>     From 10-july-2001 to 17-july-2001:

>     I will run the UDP Multicast Test.

>     This is your and my chance to test.

>     I have cable modem, @home internet provider.

>     I tried a 33k6 telephone modem, dial-up internet provider.

>     The dial-up provider does not have multicast support ?

>     So if you have a telephone modem you are probably out of luck.

> Surf to:

> http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

> I hope to see you on the multicast backbone !
> --
> UDP Speed Test is free software for windows 95 and up.
> Use it to test the receive speed of a computer.
> http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

Re:New free software: UDP Multicast Test

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:35:26 -0700, "Denis"

<theukrain...@h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m> wrote:
> I assume it is written in C given that it is posted to comp.lang.c?

It's written in pascal/delphi.

I looked at different c sources for examples.

The first 12 hours of testing have past.

I think my internet provider @home does not support multicast over the
internet.

I called them up... they didn't even know what it was.

They will maybe look into it.
--

skybuck2...@hotmail.com (Skybuck) wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:35:26 -0700, "Denis"
> <theukrain...@h.o.t.m.a.i.l.c.o.m> wrote:

> > I assume it is written in C given that it is posted to comp.lang.c?

> It's written in pascal/delphi.

Then what the Mi-go-shagging Elder Ones is it doing on comp.lang.c?

Follow-ups set to where it _should_ have been posted, dorkhead.

Richard

Other Threads