Lots of Pascal Questions...

Hello!  Have a few questions.

1.  Can Pascal support wireframe graphics? (I don't mean drawing a line
then erasing it in a loop.)

2. Can Pascal attach a bitmap file to that wireframe and provide the
recalculating of the bitmap graphic? (Can it texturemap?, i.e. bitmapped
images assigned to each side of a wireframe cube.)

3. Can Get/Put Image be used for sprites?

4. Could I manipulate GetImage to grab a section of a .GIF or bitmap
graphic screen to designate that chunk as a sprite?

5. I am attempting to make a file archive containing GIF's and WAV's.  The
front end would be in Pascal, where you could select a file to view or
hear.  Trouble is, I need wave player and a GIF viewer written in Pascal so
I could attach it to my front end. Being a school student, I can't pay the
prices that some authors want to distribute their Pascal source code as a
part of my program. Could someone point me out to Pascal source I could get
that would display those file types?

6. I am a little confused on the Exec command.  I am currently working on
an installer program for a game, and would like a little help from the
folks out there. I need it to:

a. Get the drive designation from the user.
b. Get the full path for the files to be placed from the user.
c. Copy the files off the disk (A or B) to the selected space.
d. and Unzip the copied files, then delete the old ones ending in .ZIP

Trouble is, I can't even get part a or b to work, and when I Exec UNZIP, it
reports an error.  Help!

I would like relatively non-program specific answers, as I use Turbo Pascal
6.0 on a 486-66 at home, and 5.0 on a 286 at school. I would greatly
appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thanks!
<cg...@hooked.net>

Re:Lots of Pascal Questions...

Charles McDonald wrote:

> Hello!  Have a few questions.

> 1.  Can Pascal support wireframe graphics? (I don't mean drawing a line
> then erasing it in a loop.)

? You won't have much choice, then ...

> 2. Can Pascal attach a bitmap file to that wireframe and provide the
> recalculating of the bitmap graphic? (Can it texturemap?, i.e. bitmapped
> images assigned to each side of a wireframe cube.)

Pascal is a language not a 3D engine. Of course you can write a Pascal program
which does all this, although the routines itself have to be done in assembler.

> 3. Can Get/Put Image be used for sprites?

Hmm ... what is your definition of sprites ? You can use Get/Put Image to move
an image on the screen. If I recall correctly PutImage has no "transparent"
color, so they are not very well suited for sprite movement.

> 4. Could I manipulate GetImage to grab a section of a .GIF or bitmap
> graphic screen to designate that chunk as a sprite?

With the above limitation yes.

> 5. I am attempting to make a file archive containing GIF's and WAV's.  The
> front end would be in Pascal, where you could select a file to view or
> hear.  Trouble is, I need wave player and a GIF viewer written in Pascal so
> I could attach it to my front end. Being a school student, I can't pay the
> prices that some authors want to distribute their Pascal source code as a
> part of my program. Could someone point me out to Pascal source I could get
> that would display those file types?

There must be tons of GIF decoders and probably some WAV playing routines too.
---- < POST FTP SITES HERE > ----

> 6. I am a little confused on the Exec command.  I am currently working on
> an installer program for a game, and would like a little help from the
> folks out there. I need it to:

> a. Get the drive designation from the user.
> b. Get the full path for the files to be placed from the user.
> c. Copy the files off the disk (A or B) to the selected space.
> d. and Unzip the copied files, then delete the old ones ending in .ZIP

> Trouble is, I can't even get part a or b to work, and when I Exec UNZIP, it
> reports an error.  Help!

swapvectors;
exec(...
swapvectors;

also, I think no more than 64KB memory may be allocated by TP, so
you have to reduce the MAX HEAP memory options. If you need more
memory, you can't be using getmem. Allocate memory from the heap
instead.

> I would like relatively non-program specific answers, as I use Turbo Pascal
> 6.0 on a 486-66 at home, and 5.0 on a 286 at school. I would greatly
> appreciate any help anyone can give.

> Thanks!
> <cg...@hooked.net>

You certainly seem to have picked some demanding projects ;-)

   __/  __/   -  Christian Froeschlin
  /    /
 /     _/     * If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, *
___/ _/       * however improbable, must be the BUG !              *

Other Threads