BDE 5.01 & FPD26a

I'm having difficulty getting started (Data Module) with Delphi 5.
(worked ok in Delphi 4).
What is the best way to set up an alias for Foxpro DOS 2.6a Tables. The
Visual Foxpro Free Tables option doesn't seem to work well, or at least
I can't seem to set indexes (CDX).

I'm hoping to continue use of the FPD tables (Foxpro program) and write
a "back end" to the same tables using Delphi 5. I don't want to get half
way into the project to find the "Gotcha's". I would happily use any
third party tool that would facilitate the goal.

For instance, I read a TID that said there was no support for IDX files.
Is that still true (I can get around that) and are there other more
serious limitations to using Foxpro and the database (which I must do).

Re:BDE 5.01 & FPD26a

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:07:35 -0800, Wayne Hammond

<whamm...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I'm having difficulty getting started (Data Module) with Delphi 5.
>(worked ok in Delphi 4).
>What is the best way to set up an alias for Foxpro DOS 2.6a Tables. The
>Visual Foxpro Free Tables option doesn't seem to work well, or at least
>I can't seem to set indexes (CDX).

It sounds like you're using ODBC for this.  The BDE supports FoxPro
2.6 files natively though.  You can create a native BDE FoxPro alias
using the Database Exporer program.

BTW, what do you mean with 'can't seem to set the indexes'?  CDX files
are maintained and should be opened automatically with the DBF.

>I'm hoping to continue use of the FPD tables (Foxpro program) and write
>a "back end" to the same tables using Delphi 5. I don't want to get half
>way into the project to find the "Gotcha's". I would happily use any
>third party tool that would facilitate the goal.

>For instance, I read a TID that said there was no support for IDX files.
>Is that still true (I can get around that) and are there other more
>serious limitations to using Foxpro and the database (which I must do).

There are quite a few BDE replacements that support FoxPro files.
Advantage, Appollo and Halcyon to name a few.  If you want to go this
route - and my personal advice would be to do this - check out the
following site for a list of BDE replacements:
   www.kylecordes.com

HTH,

Jan

Re:BDE 5.01 & FPD26a

Jan Sprengers wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:07:35 -0800, Wayne Hammond
> <whamm...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> It sounds like you're using ODBC for this.  The BDE supports FoxPro
> 2.6 files natively though.  You can create a native BDE FoxPro alias
> using the Database Exporer program.

If I was using ODBC it wasn't on purpose. I simply used the predefined Visual
Foxpro for free tables and added a path.

> BTW, what do you mean with 'can't seem to set the indexes'?  CDX files
> are maintained and should be opened automatically with the DBF

I've since taken your advice, but in general I was getting an "index out of
range" type error whenever I tried to pick the indexname.

I've installed Advantage Tdataset replacement (I'd like to look at Apollo
also), but this seems the way to go. I'm still getting familiar but I am able
to create a Data Module and access data.

I'd still like to know why the BDE didn't work, but from all I've read the
BDE is something of avoid if possible.

Thanks,
Wayne -

Re:BDE 5.01 & FPD26a

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:13:41 -0800, Wayne Hammond

<whamm...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>If I was using ODBC it wasn't on purpose. I simply used the predefined Visual
>Foxpro for free tables and added a path.

I believe that this is an ODBC-driver that was installed with
MS-Office.

>I've since taken your advice, but in general I was getting an "index out of
>range" type error whenever I tried to pick the indexname.

No idea what is causing this.  But since you didn't intend to use
ODBC, I assume it doesn't matter anymore.

>I've installed Advantage Tdataset replacement (I'd like to look at Apollo
>also), but this seems the way to go. I'm still getting familiar but I am able
>to create a Data Module and access data.

>I'd still like to know why the BDE didn't work, but from all I've read the
>BDE is something of avoid if possible.

True.  For FoxPro access I wouldn't recommend the native BDE driver
because of troubles with the indexes in BDE 5.x.  FWIW, I'm using
Advantage myself and I'm very happy with it.

Jan

Other Threads