Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Help Please

I have a problem with Delphi 3.0 (build 5.53) Professional under Windows
NT4.0 (build 1381: service pack3)

It was installed under Administrator and will only be used by the one user
on this machine.

When a project is saved an error message ('?||' is not a valid identifier)
is displayed.

The identifier name varies with different objects having focus on a form
when the save is performed.

The above error is also received when an empty project is saved.

Willem

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:07:21 -0000, "Inprise Forums 2"

<willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:
>I have a problem with Delphi 3.0 (build 5.53) Professional under Windows
>NT4.0 (build 1381: service pack3)

>It was installed under Administrator and will only be used by the one user
>on this machine.

>When a project is saved an error message ('?||' is not a valid identifier)
>is displayed.

>The identifier name varies with different objects having focus on a form
>when the save is performed.

>The above error is also received when an empty project is saved.

Does the error occur on a brand new project? I'm not sure what the
problem is, but I suggest that you delete DELPHI32.DSK, as well as any
.DSK files relating to your projects.

-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Hi Steve

First of all. Happy new year for you and your family.

Yes. This happens on a new project without any objects added.

There are no .DSK files on any disk.

Willem

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote in message <36a8ce1a.197435...@90.0.0.40>...
>On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:07:21 -0000, "Inprise Forums 2"
><willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:

>>I have a problem with Delphi 3.0 (build 5.53) Professional under Windows
>>NT4.0 (build 1381: service pack3)

>>It was installed under Administrator and will only be used by the one user
>>on this machine.

>>When a project is saved an error message ('?||' is not a valid identifier)
>>is displayed.

>>The identifier name varies with different objects having focus on a form
>>when the save is performed.

>>The above error is also received when an empty project is saved.

>Does the error occur on a brand new project? I'm not sure what the
>problem is, but I suggest that you delete DELPHI32.DSK, as well as any
>.DSK files relating to your projects.

>-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:25:30 -0000, "Inprise Forums 2"

<willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:
>Yes. This happens on a new project without any objects added.

>There are no .DSK files on any disk.

Very strange. I would recommend a complete uninstall, which means
first uninstalling and then deleting all Delphi-related directories
and Delphi-related registry entries. Then reinstall.

I use Delphi 3.0 under NT 4.0 SP3 and SP4 without any problems.

By the way, please change your From: name to something other than
"Inprise Forums 2."

-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response.

I unistalled and deleted all directories and files I could find that had
anything to do with Delphi by hand.

After uninstall nothing was visible in the registry either.

I reinstalled, rebooted and the problem remains.

I honestly don't know where to look anymore. Unless Delhi keeps some setup
file somewhere that I cant find. After hours reading the manuals I could not
find any reference to such a file though.

The little bit I worked with Delphi under WIN95 was completely stable. The
installation was also done from the same CD. That rules out that something
might be wrong with the CD as well.

<36970c5d.1804...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:25:30 -0000, "Inprise Forums 2"
><willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:

>>Yes. This happens on a new project without any objects added.

>>There are no .DSK files on any disk.

>Very strange. I would recommend a complete uninstall, which means
>first uninstalling and then deleting all Delphi-related directories
>and Delphi-related registry entries. Then reinstall.

>I use Delphi 3.0 under NT 4.0 SP3 and SP4 without any problems.

>By the way, please change your From: name to something other than
>"Inprise Forums 2."

>-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:04:21 -0000, "Willem Victor"

<willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:
>After uninstall nothing was visible in the registry either.

It might be a good idea to completely remove the following two trees:

 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland

-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Hi Steve

I removed the two trees from the registry and executed Delphi.

The problem was still there. I then uninstalled and removed everything as
before and reinstalled again.

After reinstallation I still had the problem.

Could this be caused by some configuration file somewhere in the WINNT
directory tree ?

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote in message

<3692b590.859...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:04:21 -0000, "Willem Victor"
><willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:

>>After uninstall nothing was visible in the registry either.

>It might be a good idea to completely remove the following two trees:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland

>-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Steve

I found the problem.

It was caused by a product IMAGEFOX from ACD Systems. The following is a
brief description from their web sight: http://www.acdsystems.com
    ImageFox
    A windows File Open/File Save  "add-on" for previewing images and sound
clips.
    Integrates with Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0, 5.0

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Willem

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote in message

<3692b590.859...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:04:21 -0000, "Willem Victor"
><willem.vic...@lantic.co.za> wrote:

>>After uninstall nothing was visible in the registry either.

>It might be a good idea to completely remove the following two trees:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland

>-Steve

Re:Problem with D3.0 under winnt 4.0

Willem,

If you could post the link to the document, that would be helpful.  I had a
customer call in with this problem and it went away after he uninstalled, turned
off his anti-virus program, and re-installed.
--
Richard

Other Threads