Pascal 7 programmer learning Delphi 3

Does anyone have any advice on how best to go about teaching myself Delphi
3??  I am a good programmer using Turbo Pascal 7.0, but as you can imagine
there are a whole lot of things in Delphi 3 that don't make sense to me.

Also, I know this is a stupid question but what does the T in front of all
the objects stand for??  =)~  I know how to use the objects, I just don't
know what the damn T stands for..  =)~

Thanks,
Jason
JJ0...@AOL.COM

Re:Pascal 7 programmer learning Delphi 3

In article <19970803025401.WAA10...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, jj0...@aol.com

(JJ 0995) writes:
>Does anyone have any advice on how best to go about teaching myself
Delphi
>3??  I am a good programmer using Turbo Pascal 7.0, but as you can
imagine
>there are a whole lot of things in Delphi 3 that don't make sense to me.

I switched after Turbo5.5 so you're going to have a much easier time than
I did.   Did you ever work with Techno Jock or Topaz or any of the pre-
Delphi pascal add-ons?   Delphi1,2,3 are just Windows based versions of
the
same concept.   Instead of writing procedure after procedure and unit
after unit
to put some menu choices on the screen so when the user selects one of
your choices it goes to other procedures and units you write,  Delphi
creates
the former,   the interface for you.  The rest is the same as non-Delphi
pascal,
you still have to provide the programs logic according to your needs.

Now you create a new form and drop a pretty button on it instead of
creating nested loops of extended ASCII character sets that create a
window
frame for you to do something in.   Delphi creates the entire user
interface
for you.  You just place the controls on the form,  select an event for
the
control,   like a mouse click for a button,   and put your pascal code in
there.

To get the gist of this I would suggest you load a couple of your old
pascal
programs (try a couple of your smaller utilities first) into a text file.
 Then
start a new Delphi project.   Put a button or two on the form,   open an
onClick event for one of the buttons,   switch to the text file with the
pascal7-
code,  copy a procedure and paste it into the button.

Run the form and press the button.   If it won't run check the error
message
and fix it so it will.  Most old code will run with little or no
alterations.  Do this
for a day or two and you'll get a good concept of what Delphi is,  an
interface
builder,  not really an application builder.  (Darn it anyway!)   In a
very short
time you'll probably find,  as I did,   it's the best thing that's ever
happened
to the Windows programming community.

>Also, I know this is a stupid question but what does the T in front of
all
>the objects stand for??  =)~  I know how to use the objects, I just don't
>know what the damn T stands for..  =)~

The "T" stands for Type.  A TField is of the "Type" Field.

Other Threads