Win 95 Compress Exe

Hi,

I am looking for a piece of software, that compresses .EXE files, and
will decompress on execution. I know about PKLITE and the other DOS
programs, but I am looking for one to compress 32bit Windows programs.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks
Matthew
  Matthew Winter
  Email : matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net
  'Time, nothing beats the time wasted creating signature quotes'

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

In article <33178a35.1142...@news.{*word*269}.net> matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net writes:
>I am looking for a piece of software, that compresses .EXE files, and
>will decompress on execution. I know about PKLITE and the other DOS
>programs, but I am looking for one to compress 32bit Windows programs.

>Any suggestions would be grateful.

If you want a component which will do it, you might find TCompress useful --
among other things, allows you to make self-extracting EXEs.

http://www.spis.co.nz/compress.htm

--

cheers,
peter

Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
* SPIS Webview 2.5 Offline Browser and WebWatch 1.01 Site Monitor
* "Climbing Out on the Web" web site primer
* TCompress 2.5 File and Database Compression for Delphi
Find all the above and MORE at http://www.spis.co.nz/

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

>>I am looking for a piece of software, that compresses .EXE files, and
>>will decompress on execution.

     Try searching for INFOZIP on the Internet.  They offer free pkzip
2.04g compatible source code.  For delphi components and an
industrial-strength DLL, checkout DYNAZIP.

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

Max Polk <cope...@azstarnet.com> wrote:
>>>I am looking for a piece of software, that compresses .EXE files, and
>>>will decompress on execution.

>     Try searching for INFOZIP on the Internet.  They offer free pkzip
>2.04g compatible source code.  For delphi components and an
>industrial-strength DLL, checkout DYNAZIP.

Thanks for the info, but what I am really looking for, is a utility
that will compress the delphi compiled .EXE files into another .EXE
file, that when executed will decompress and execute the code
automatically. I have used DYNAZIP myself, and do agree that it is
good, but will not solve this problem.

Any suggestions welcome

Matthew Winter <matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net> wrote in article
<332323a4.866...@news.{*word*269}.net>...

> >     Try searching for INFOZIP on the Internet.  They offer free pkzip
> >2.04g compatible source code.  For delphi components and an
> >industrial-strength DLL, checkout DYNAZIP.

> Thanks for the info, but what I am really looking for, is a utility
> that will compress the delphi compiled .EXE files into another .EXE
> file, that when executed will decompress and execute the code
> automatically. I have used DYNAZIP myself, and do agree that it is
> good, but will not solve this problem.

You might try ZipFolders (think you can get it at www.windows95.com).  When
you create the EXE, it prompts you for a program to run or document to open
after the decompression.

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

On Wed, 05 Mar 1997 18:48:42 GMT, matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net (Matthew Winter)
may have written:

>>     Try searching for INFOZIP on the Internet.  They offer free pkzip
>>2.04g compatible source code.  For delphi components and an
>>industrial-strength DLL, checkout DYNAZIP.

>Thanks for the info, but what I am really looking for, is a utility
>that will compress the delphi compiled .EXE files into another .EXE
>file, that when executed will decompress and execute the code
>automatically. I have used DYNAZIP myself, and do agree that it is
>good, but will not solve this problem.

>Any suggestions welcome

>Thanks
>Matthew
>  Matthew Winter
>  Email : matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net
>  'Time, nothing beats the time wasted creating signature quotes'

I did find what I think you want in one of the internet software libraries as
shareware. I'll try to find the name and let you know. I do recall that you
execute it passing the name of your program and it compresses and rebuilds
the .EXE file so that it uncompresses (expands) the file when it is executed.
It worked fine although it, of course, takes a bit longer to run the program.

Incidentally it works for any windows program, 3.1 or 95.
{*word*106} MacDonald
{*word*106}mac@(delete this to reply)fastservice.com
The extra info is included to foil the automated collection 'bots.

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

On Thu, 06 Mar 1997 16:12:30 -0700,{*word*106}...@fastservice.com (Richard

MacDonald) wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Mar 1997 18:48:42 GMT, matthew.win...@{*word*269}.net (Matthew Winter)
>may have written:

>>>     Try searching for INFOZIP on the Internet.  They offer free pkzip
>>>2.04g compatible source code.  For delphi components and an
>>>industrial-strength DLL, checkout DYNAZIP.

>>Thanks for the info, but what I am really looking for, is a utility
>>that will compress the delphi compiled .EXE files into another .EXE
>>file, that when executed will decompress and execute the code
>>automatically. I have used DYNAZIP myself, and do agree that it is
>>good, but will not solve this problem.

>>Any suggestions welcome

You might go to http://www.blinkinc.com.  They have a program named
"Shrinker," I think, that shrinks .EXE and .DLL files up to 60%.  I
think it's less than $100 and expands the shrunken files in memory at
run-time.

Re:Win 95 Compress Exe

In article <3323bcd1.238962...@news.bellatlantic.net>

>>>Thanks for the info, but what I am really looking for, is a utility
>>>that will compress the delphi compiled .EXE files into another .EXE
>>>file, that when executed will decompress and execute the code
>>>automatically. I have used DYNAZIP myself, and do agree that it is
>>>good, but will not solve this problem.

You could use the TResourceStream compression methods built into TCompress
to do this -- there are two example projects in the standard download --
http://www.spis.co.nz/compress.htm.

(TCompress is native Delphi -- no DLLs required, full source available).

--

cheers,
peter

Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
* SPIS Webview 2.5 Offline Browser and WebWatch 1.01 Site Monitor
* "Climbing Out on the Web" web site primer
* TCompress 2.5 File and Database Compression for Delphi
Find all the above and MORE at http://www.spis.co.nz/

Other Threads