Delphi Prog Shuts Down Windows!!

My delphi 1 project, when run under Win 95 runs fine, but under 3.1,
on exit from the application SOMETIMES crashes windows instantly to
DOS. I have stripped ALL my code out, ending up with a single, white,
form, which still SOMETIMES crashes win3.11. Is there a bug in my
Delphi system, or could it be in one of the installed components (eg.
ImageLib), none of which I use in the stripped down project? Help!
William Gilpin

Re:Delphi Prog Shuts Down Windows!!

In article <330a0d9f.415...@news.demon.co.uk> b...@gilpin.demon.co.uk (William Gilpin) writes:
>My delphi 1 project, when run under Win 95 runs fine, but under 3.1,
>on exit from the application SOMETIMES crashes windows instantly to
>DOS. I have stripped ALL my code out, ending up with a single, white,
>form, which still SOMETIMES crashes win3.11. Is there a bug in my
>Delphi system, or could it be in one of the installed components (eg.
>ImageLib), none of which I use in the stripped down project? Help!

LOTS of things can kill Win3.1 deader than a doornail, William.  One of the
most common ones I've seen is a stack overflow... the default stack-size of
16K is woefully inadequate for most purposes.

Another common cause I've seen has been almost *anything* having to do with a
"stale pointer" -- a pointer with a non-NIL value that doesn't point to
currently allocated memory.  "Double-disposing" is a quick trip to the morgue.

I did notice a subtle, but devastating bug in an earlier release of InfoPower,
which I duly reported some months ago, having to do with an obscure
double-free in the constructor of a TwwDBComboBox (I believe).

/mr/

William Gilpin wrote:

> My delphi 1 project, when run under Win 95 runs fine, but under 3.1,
> on exit from the application SOMETIMES crashes windows instantly to
> DOS. I have stripped ALL my code out, ending up with a single, white,
> form, which still SOMETIMES crashes win3.11. Is there a bug in my
> Delphi system, or could it be in one of the installed components (eg.
> ImageLib), none of which I use in the stripped down project? Help!
> William Gilpin

What is your video adapter S3 something??
What happens if you change your video settings from SVGA down to
usual 640x480 VGA mode, and also use the plain VGA-driver?

About how many times out of 10 runs does your program hang, if you
don't change anything meanwhile?

Other Threads