Board index » delphi » Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...

Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...

Hi all,
I'm working  since one year on a software, principaly oriented
on database and OLE calls (Word97).
I two weeks I have to present this project to my teacher, and he
want me to explain why I've choosed D2, and not access (for exemple).
The problem is that I have only worked a little bit with VB4; the
most of my experience is D2 (database software).

I would be interrested to any response, idea on the question :
Advantage of D2 versus Access, DBase, VB4, ... and
Advantage of Access, DBase, VB4, ... versus D2

I already know that D2 is a real Object oriented langage,
you can call API (is it possible with Access), create new component
inherited of the existing one, many Newsgroups are oriented to Delphi...

Please more idea

Thank's for any reply

--
Samuel Stammbach
E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
Computer Science Department

 

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Delphi 2 is a full compiler, Access 97 is primarily interpreted, so
database programs in Delphi run faster--screen forms are snappier.  It is
quicker to set up a database in Access, and Access has a better report
writer.  While it takes longer to set up things in Delphi, the reward is
quicker operations.  You already know about object oriented (Delphi) versus
object based (Access).  For me, the best  (and the major reason I rewriting
my Access database in Delphi) is Delphi has structured exception handling
built into the foundation of Delphi itself, providing a consistent and
reliable way for your program to handle unanticipated errors.  Visual Basic
and Access have what most people called "bucket-brigade error handling", in
which the programmer has to provide routines to trap all errors, and to
provide for passing the error trapping to the appropriate routine if ones
error routine does not recognize the error.  (A company sells a product
called VB-Rigging to provide just such error handling routines for Visual
Basic.)  As far as I'm concerned, if you database works, your users don't
care what you wrote it in.
Gene

Samuel Stammbach <Samuel.Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch> wrote in article
<01bc767b$2c9a5ca0$374bb...@LSPPC16.epfl.ch>...

Quote

> Hi all,
> I'm working  since one year on a software, principaly oriented
> on database and OLE calls (Word97).
> I two weeks I have to present this project to my teacher, and he
> want me to explain why I've choosed D2, and not access (for exemple).
> The problem is that I have only worked a little bit with VB4; the
> most of my experience is D2 (database software).

> I would be interrested to any response, idea on the question :
> Advantage of D2 versus Access, DBase, VB4, ... and
> Advantage of Access, DBase, VB4, ... versus D2

> I already know that D2 is a real Object oriented langage,
> you can call API (is it possible with Access), create new component
> inherited of the existing one, many Newsgroups are oriented to Delphi...

> Please more idea

> Thank's for any reply

> --
> Samuel Stammbach
> E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
> Computer Science Department

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


You can add these reasons to Delphi:

- Scalability. Delphi is good from tiny to huge applications.
- A fabulous performance.
- A wide range and sort of "already made" components.
- Pascal. A good and structured language, and also really compiled.
Basic is a vicious language.
- Development environment. Better than any other one.
- Customization.
- You don't become a slave of Borland
- The best when you think of distribution, since the programs are
small and don't require a lot of DLL to work. No runtimes at all.

About other packages:

- Access is not good for development, it was created having end users
in its scope. Good only for small database applications.
- VB is good, but it has a lower performance and you become a slave of
Microsoft. Beyond that, it generates p-code and requires runtime. Even
VB5 and its native code compiler requires runtime modules.
- Visual FoxPro is specific for database development. It's a good tool
and is object oriented, but is an xBase-like tool. It's good only for
database applications. The smallest application (just a single line of
code) will require 5 diskettes!
- dBase has a serious problem in its marketing. Many people are giving
up dbase, and this is a great problem. In fact, xBase standard is
decreasing of usage.

That's all I can remember for the moment!

Eugenio Reis
e...@e-net.com.br

On 11 Jun 97 15:20:18 GMT, "Samuel Stammbach"

Quote
<Samuel.Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm working  since one year on a software, principaly oriented
>on database and OLE calls (Word97).
>I two weeks I have to present this project to my teacher, and he
>want me to explain why I've choosed D2, and not access (for exemple).
>The problem is that I have only worked a little bit with VB4; the
>most of my experience is D2 (database software).

>I would be interrested to any response, idea on the question :
>Advantage of D2 versus Access, DBase, VB4, ... and
>Advantage of Access, DBase, VB4, ... versus D2

>I already know that D2 is a real Object oriented langage,
>you can call API (is it possible with Access), create new component
>inherited of the existing one, many Newsgroups are oriented to Delphi...

>Please more idea

>Thank's for any reply

>--
>Samuel Stammbach
>E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

>Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
>Computer Science Department

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


I think it's easier to buy D3 which supports Access databases natively.

Jack

Gene <ge...@mindspring.com> schreef in artikel
<01bc7695$f5faa4a0$d19e45cf@svr-prkrdg>...

Quote
> Delphi 2 is a full compiler, Access 97 is primarily interpreted, so
> database programs in Delphi run faster--screen forms are snappier.  It is
> quicker to set up a database in Access, and Access has a better report
> writer.  While it takes longer to set up things in Delphi, the reward is
> quicker operations.  You already know about object oriented (Delphi)
versus
> object based (Access).  For me, the best  (and the major reason I
rewriting
> my Access database in Delphi) is Delphi has structured exception handling
> built into the foundation of Delphi itself, providing a consistent and
> reliable way for your program to handle unanticipated errors.  Visual
Basic
> > E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

> > Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
> > Computer Science Department

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


You are right in that Delphi 3 can read and write Access tables without any
problems.  However, the user interface created in Access needed to be
rewritten in Delphi, unless one wants to use OLE to operate Access from
Delphi (which will also work, and which I have used to run complex reports
built with Access from Delphi).  To get the speed advantage of "snappier"
forms as well as more robust error trapping, I rewrote the user interface
portion in Delphi.  For some of my clients, I will be using Access's *.mdb
file to store the data--some of my clients prefer the data to be in a
single file as opposed to Paradox's or dBase's multiple files.
Gene

Umbra <um...@dds.nl> wrote in article <01bc7acf$6cd74f00$9883f1c3@umbra>...

Quote
> I think it's easier to buy D3 which supports Access databases natively.

> Jack

> Gene <ge...@mindspring.com> schreef in artikel
> <01bc7695$f5faa4a0$d19e45cf@svr-prkrdg>...
> > Delphi 2 is a full compiler, Access 97 is primarily interpreted, so
> > database programs in Delphi run faster--screen forms are snappier.  It
is
> > quicker to set up a database in Access, and Access has a better report
> > writer.  While it takes longer to set up things in Delphi, the reward
is
> > quicker operations.  You already know about object oriented (Delphi)
> versus
> > object based (Access).  For me, the best  (and the major reason I
> rewriting
> > my Access database in Delphi) is Delphi has structured exception
handling
> > built into the foundation of Delphi itself, providing a consistent and
> > reliable way for your program to handle unanticipated errors.  Visual
> Basic
> > > E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

> > > Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
> > > Computer Science Department

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


How's your performance w/ D3-to-Access, Gene?  Also, does D3
support transactions using Access?  That's what I really like
w/ VB & Access...  Transactions are a big performance boost and
a VERY convenient way to back out of problem or cancelled
operations...

Gene <ge...@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<01bc7ab3$040348b0$a49e45cf@svr_theta>...

Quote
> You are right in that Delphi 3 can read and write Access
tables without any
> problems.  However, the user interface created in Access
needed to be
> rewritten in Delphi, unless one wants to use OLE to operate
Access from
> Delphi (which will also work, and which I have used to run
complex reports
> built with Access from Delphi).  To get the speed advantage
of "snappier"
> forms as well as more robust error trapping, I rewrote the
user interface
> portion in Delphi.  For some of my clients, I will be using
Access's *.mdb
> file to store the data--some of my clients prefer the data to
be in a
> single file as opposed to Paradox's or dBase's multiple
files.
> Gene

> Umbra <um...@dds.nl> wrote in article

<01bc7acf$6cd74f00$9883f1c3@umbra>...

- Show quoted text -

Quote
> > I think it's easier to buy D3 which supports Access
databases natively.

> > Jack

> > Gene <ge...@mindspring.com> schreef in artikel
> > <01bc7695$f5faa4a0$d19e45cf@svr-prkrdg>...
> > > Delphi 2 is a full compiler, Access 97 is primarily
interpreted, so
> > > database programs in Delphi run faster--screen forms are
snappier.  It
> is
> > > quicker to set up a database in Access, and Access has a
better report
> > > writer.  While it takes longer to set up things in
Delphi, the reward
> is
> > > quicker operations.  You already know about object
oriented (Delphi)
> > versus
> > > object based (Access).  For me, the best  (and the major
reason I
> > rewriting
> > > my Access database in Delphi) is Delphi has structured
exception
> handling
> > > built into the foundation of Delphi itself, providing a
consistent and
> > > reliable way for your program to handle unanticipated
errors.  Visual
> > Basic
> > > > E-mail :Samuel .Stammb...@studi.epfl.ch

> > > > Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
> > > > Computer Science Department

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


I think Delphi does allow user more than the Database Tools...

Here's my Q's:

I am using D1 cause my clients (users) are still in 16-bit mode.

I am converting a DOS app to use a FoxPro database (why? because
there is another app that uses FoxPro, generated from VisualFoxPro)

Q:  Is there or are there components out there that will let me
read/write/lock the FoxPro datafiles?

Q: I puchased an XBase engine that will allow me to access FoxPro
datafiles, but I still have to write an interface.  Or would I still
need to?

Q: I am used to using pascal recrod types to fill up my form and
read read/write to the data.  How would I store a FoxPro data record
while I am manipulating values in the form?

Any response is much appreciated.
--
Jay Castillo

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Quote
In article <33A82F53...@pacbell.net> jay...@pacbell.net writes:
>I think Delphi does allow user more than the Database Tools...
>Here's my Q's:
>I am using D1 cause my clients (users) are still in 16-bit mode.
>I am converting a DOS app to use a FoxPro database (why? because
>there is another app that uses FoxPro, generated from VisualFoxPro)
>Q:  Is there or are there components out there that will let me
>read/write/lock the FoxPro datafiles?

I believe that Apollo will do it, if BDE itself does not...

Quote
>Q: I puchased an XBase engine that will allow me to access FoxPro
>datafiles, but I still have to write an interface.  Or would I still
>need to?

Yeah, if they don't include an interface for Delphi then you ought to ask them
if they can or will.  Otherwise, yes, writing a class-based "wrapper" for a
DLL library is a pretty common requirement.  (See if anyone else has done it
and posted it someplace on the Web...)  

I mean, if you think about it, that's exactly(!) what Borland did with its own
BDE... no more and no less!

Quote
>Q: I am used to using pascal recrod types to fill up my form and
>read read/write to the data.  How would I store a FoxPro data record
>while I am manipulating values in the form?

I'd look closely at how Borland did it, with BDE, as an example.  A
class-based interface to any database engine is definitely the way to go.  But
if the record is static and it seems most convenient to you to read and write
it through a Pascal "record," then go for it.  :-)

/mr/

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Quote
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:56:19 -0700, jay...@pacbell.net wrote:
>Q:  Is there or are there components out there that will let me
>read/write/lock the FoxPro datafiles?

>Q: I puchased an XBase engine that will allow me to access FoxPro
>datafiles, but I still have to write an interface.  Or would I still
>need to?

>Q: I am used to using pascal recrod types to fill up my form and
>read read/write to the data.  How would I store a FoxPro data record
>while I am manipulating values in the form?

Microsoft's ODBC clients would surely allow you to link into Microsoft
databases like FoxPro and Access?  Have you tried ftp'ing them from
the Microsoft ftp site?  It might save you a whole lot of bother,
'cause then you can just use the FoxPro database like you would
Paradox/DBase ones.

I had a similar problem with Oracle databases until I downloaded the
Oracle ODBC drivers.  Now life is much simpler.  And since ODBC seems
to have been another one of Microsoft's ideas (and to be quite honest,
one of the better ones...), I would imagine their databases are ODBC
compliant.

Once you have ODBC drivers it's a (relatively) simple matter of
setting up an alias in BDE and away you go.

Cheers,

John Breen

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Quote
In article <33a9b62a.1802...@news.cowan.edu.au> wom...@mad.scientist.com (John Breen) writes:
>I had a similar problem with Oracle databases until I downloaded the
>Oracle ODBC drivers.  Now life is much simpler.  And since ODBC seems
>to have been another one of Microsoft's ideas (and to be quite honest,
>one of the better ones...), I would imagine their databases are ODBC
>compliant.

Yeah, it would have been one of their better ideas, had they not (true to
form) promptly proclaimed ODBC to be dead in favor of the Next Great Thing
(ahem...), DAO.

Re:Delphi versus DBase, Access, ...


Should that not be ADO ?

Sundial Services <news-re...@sundialservices.com> wrote in article
<news-reply.5457.00212...@sundialservices.com>...

Quote
> In article <33a9b62a.1802...@news.cowan.edu.au> wom...@mad.scientist.com
(John Breen) writes:

> >I had a similar problem with Oracle databases until I downloaded the
> >Oracle ODBC drivers.  Now life is much simpler.  And since ODBC seems
> >to have been another one of Microsoft's ideas (and to be quite honest,
> >one of the better ones...), I would imagine their databases are ODBC
> >compliant.

> Yeah, it would have been one of their better ideas, had they not (true to
> form) promptly proclaimed ODBC to be dead in favor of the Next Great
Thing
> (ahem...), DAO.

Other Threads