Form Goes Blank

I'm using Delphi 5 and Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.  I've
designed a form to perform a fairly complex data import using
temporary tables in the database.  The form has 2 Databases, 1
Session, 4 Queries and 8-9 tables and a lot of labels for showing the
status of the various steps in the process.  My problem is that when
run, the labels that are supposed to display this information do not
display.  Instead the form turns almost all white, or the form turns
almost all background color and in either event the visible controls
on the form simply disappear.  The user would never know what was
going on.  When the import process is over, the form is displayed with
all of the labels showing the correct values.  How can I keep the
screen from blanking out and the labels displaying progress properly?

Thanks,
Neill

Re:Form Goes Blank

"Neill" <wayfa...@ewebcity.net> wrote in message

> I'm using Delphi 5 and Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.  I've
> designed a form to perform a fairly complex data import using
> temporary tables in the database.  The form has 2 Databases, 1
> Session, 4 Queries and 8-9 tables and a lot of labels for showing the
> status of the various steps in the process.  My problem is that when
> run, the labels that are supposed to display this information do not
> display.  Instead the form turns almost all white, or the form turns
> almost all background color and in either event the visible controls
> on the form simply disappear.  The user would never know what was
> going on.  When the import process is over, the form is displayed with
> all of the labels showing the correct values.  How can I keep the
> screen from blanking out and the labels displaying progress properly?

It sound like paint messages are not being processed while your code is
running. Add some Application.ProcessMessages statements to your code or use
the Update method of the labels as they are altered.

Re:Form Goes Blank

"Neill" <wayfa...@ewebcity.net> a crit dans le message news:
e142da54.0204110905.56686...@posting.google.com...

> I'm using Delphi 5 and Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.  I've
> designed a form to perform a fairly complex data import using
> temporary tables in the database.  The form has 2 Databases, 1
> Session, 4 Queries and 8-9 tables and a lot of labels for showing the
> status of the various steps in the process.  My problem is that when
> run, the labels that are supposed to display this information do not
> display.  Instead the form turns almost all white, or the form turns
> almost all background color and in either event the visible controls
> on the form simply disappear.  The user would never know what was
> going on.  When the import process is over, the form is displayed with
> all of the labels showing the correct values.  How can I keep the
> screen from blanking out and the labels displaying progress properly?

One or several well placed Application.Processmessages should help.

Re:Form Goes Blank

try putting Application.ProcessMessages in the processing loop - this
gives Windows an opportunity to refresh the screen.

REM

Neill wrote:
> I'm using Delphi 5 and Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.  I've
> designed a form to perform a fairly complex data import using
> temporary tables in the database.  The form has 2 Databases, 1
> Session, 4 Queries and 8-9 tables and a lot of labels for showing the
> status of the various steps in the process.  My problem is that when
> run, the labels that are supposed to display this information do not
> display.  Instead the form turns almost all white, or the form turns
> almost all background color and in either event the visible controls
> on the form simply disappear.  The user would never know what was
> going on.  When the import process is over, the form is displayed with
> all of the labels showing the correct values.  How can I keep the
> screen from blanking out and the labels displaying progress properly?

> Thanks,
> Neill

Other Threads