MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

I am getting ready to start a large project (inventory/OEI system with 5
locations and about 100 users) and was wondering which would be the best
database to use. MS-SQL7, DB2, or Oracle.  Price is a consideration but the
main thing is dependability and speed.

Any input appreciated.
Larry

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

Larry wrote in message <8ccsgh$2...@bornews.borland.com>...
>I am getting ready to start a large project (inventory/OEI system with 5
>locations and about 100 users) and was wondering which would be the best
>database to use. MS-SQL7, DB2, or Oracle.  Price is a consideration but the
>main thing is dependability and speed.

For very large systems, Oracle is probably still the best consideration (but
also by far the most expensive), and DB2 would be close behind. However, 100
users on even a very busy application is really not a large system and any
of the three can handle it fine.

I would seriously add Interbase to that list for consideration, it too can
easily handle such a load and is cheaper than the others (and IB6 will be
free). MSSQL is limited to Windows, but the other three all run on several
platforms.

--
Wayne Niddery - WinWright Consulting
RADBooks - http://members.home.net/wniddery/

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:37:03 -0400, "Wayne Niddery (TeamB)"

<winwri...@chaffhome.com> wrote:
>For very large systems, Oracle is probably still the best consideration (but
>also by far the most expensive), and DB2 would be close behind. However, 100
>users on even a very busy application is really not a large system and any
>of the three can handle it fine.

Oracle have recently revamped their pricing structure (in the UK at
least).  Whereas it used to be per seat it is now per architecture.
So regardless of the number of users, you now pay based on the
size/type/number of processors etc... of the server that Oracle is to
be installed on.

I don't know if this makes Oracle more viable compared to MSSQL or DB2
- it certainly still doesn't compare very well to Interbase though :)

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

"Larry" <l...@heritage-bag.com> wrote:
> I am getting ready to start a large project (inventory/OEI system with 5
> locations and about 100 users) and was wondering which would be the best
> database to use. MS-SQL7, DB2, or Oracle.  Price is a consideration but the
> main thing is dependability and speed.

Look at InterBase - can't get better on price!

Paul...

> Any input appreciated.
> Larry

D4 Pro SP3 - NT 4, SP5

Database - MS SQL Server 7.0

Seo mo sini!

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

Oracle has been repriced in the US too, and is now competitive, though a
little more than MS SQL7.  I use Oracle, and these are what I consider
its advantages:
superb software (of course); excellent documentation; really
informative, fully
documented error messages; lots of third-party how-to books; excellent,
reasonably-priced support.  People sometimes concentrate too much on the
software and not enough on the other issues, particularly if you are
just starting out.
You're going to need lots of help, and you can get that with Oracle.
I'm not disparaging the other products, but simply telling what I know
about Oracle.

John

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

DB2 is overly complex and pricey.  If you will be using NT servers and
developing with Delphi or C++ Builder, then you will want to choose Oracle
or MSSQL.  I would only choose DB2 if the database was already in place and
I had to wrap an application around it, in which case I'd have no choice so
I guess what I'm saying is that I would never choose DB2.  Maybe? Someday?
But not now.

Unless you have a very vary large operation (way more than 100 users) and
can afford a full time DBA to support the complexity of an Oracle
installation then I would choose MSSQL.  Oracle is very powerful and very
fast but it requires a great deal of tuning and tweaking to keep it in peak
operating condition.

For an operation your size I feel that MSSQL is your best choice.  I hate to
recommend a Microsoft product on principal but in this case it is your best
solution.  MSSQL 7 is as fast as Oracle (some would disagree but the
differences are academic) and is able to handle 100 users in stride.
Actually 100 users is not very many.  You could use almost ANY multi-user
compatible desktop database with no trouble at all.

We use MSSQL where I work because it is reliable and very simple to
administer.  We have a couple of different databases on a couple of
different Compaq Prolinea servers, seamlessly supporting a group of about
350 people doing a variety of tasks on a variety of Sun, NT and 95/98
machines.  I think we even have a couple of RedHat Linux laptop workstations
around here somewhere.

Phillip

Larry wrote in message <8ccsgh$2...@bornews.borland.com>...
>I am getting ready to start a large project (inventory/OEI system with 5
>locations and about 100 users) and was wondering which would be the best
>database to use. MS-SQL7, DB2, or Oracle.  Price is a consideration but the
>main thing is dependability and speed.

>Any input appreciated.
>Larry

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

System with 100 users is not big, so any sql server should handle it fine.
If you had really big system (2000, 5000 or more users, all doing heavy
queries like reports, decision tabs, imports/exports...) then the best bet
would be DB2.
For your system you could also consider Interbase or Sybase SQL Anywhere.

If your locations will access server on WAN, you'll have to pay more
attention to client than server, because in this case server is bored most
of time, application responsiveness highly depends on link speed and the way
client talks to server. Here BDE does not excell, because it's just too much
general purpose, so you'll have to switch to one of replacements that works
better with your server of choice.
--
----------------------
Regards

Larry wrote in message <8ccsgh$2...@bornews.borland.com>...
>I am getting ready to start a large project (inventory/OEI system with 5
>locations and about 100 users) and was wondering which would be the best
>database to use. MS-SQL7, DB2, or Oracle.  Price is a consideration but the
>main thing is dependability and speed.

>Any input appreciated.
>Larry

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

John Pierce <jpie...@healthplanning.com> wrote:
> Oracle has been repriced in the US too, and is now competitive, though a
> little more than MS SQL7.  I use Oracle, and these are what I consider
> its advantages:
> superb software (of course); excellent documentation; really
> informative, fully
> documented error messages; lots of third-party how-to books; excellent,
> reasonably-priced support.  People sometimes concentrate too much on the
> software and not enough on the other issues, particularly if you are
> just starting out.
> You're going to need lots of help, and you can get that with Oracle.
> I'm not disparaging the other products, but simply telling what I know
> about Oracle.

Maybe you're right John,

I downloaded the beta of InterBase and tried to get it up and running
here - no joy - well, I can access the database from within the
InterBase client but if I try to use the BDE *_or_* Delphi both of
them crash out without so much as an error message - quite worrying!

Here we have MS SQL 7 all set up, so it's much easier for me to deploy
my apps using that, but my thoughts for the future are "What if I want
to deploy my own apps as a contractor one day" - surely I'd be better
off with InterBase? - free deployment - though mind you, that only
matters to those who are honest enough to pay for licences in the
first place...

Paul...

> John

D4 Pro SP3 - NT 4, SP5

Database - MS SQL Server 7.0

Seo mo sini!

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

a...@defsdoor.demon.co.uk (Andrew Porter) wrote in
<c00kes08g6r3h4f9vg4sl4439lorlj0...@4ax.com>:

>Oracle have recently revamped their pricing structure (in the UK at
>least).  Whereas it used to be per seat it is now per architecture.
>So regardless of the number of users, you now pay based on the
>size/type/number of processors etc... of the server that Oracle is to
>be installed on.

Oracle still has Named User licenses available.  The Power Unit license is
their "dot com" pricing structure.  It's designed to bleed of VC money from
the next amazon.com.

Wayne Menzie

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

Paul Linehan wrote:

> I downloaded the beta of InterBase and tried to get it up and running
> here - no joy - well, I can access the database from within the
> InterBase client but if I try to use the BDE

        No surprise here -- the BDE does not claim to support IB6.

> *_or_* Delphi both of
> them crash out without so much as an error message - quite worrying!

        When you say "*_or_* Delphi" do you mean Delphi via the BDE?  Same
problem.

        IB6 is beta, and the products which do support it (such as the beta
IBX) are also beta.  It is not fair to compare the stability of a beta
version of IB with a release version of some other DB.  IB 5.6, for
example, is extremely stable, and is easier to install and needs less
maintenance than most other C/S databases.

        I'm not trying to disparage the other products mentioned, but I do
think that complaining about crashes when using middleware which doesn't
even claim to support what is, after all, a beta version of IB is not
fair to IB.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz            Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer        http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

Paul Linehan wrote:
> my apps using that, but my thoughts for the future are "What if I want
> to deploy my own apps as a contractor one day" - surely I'd be better
> off with InterBase? - free deployment - though mind you, that only
> matters to those who are honest enough to pay for licences in the

Paul,

I don't know who your potential clients are.  Mine are institutional, and they
are much more concerned about availability of support than about price.  This
is one of the barriers to acceptance of Linux:  corporations want a guarantee
that someone can come in and fix any problem that occurs.  They don't care
that Linux is free.

Now, of course, if you're doing single-user desk-top applications, this isn't
true.

John Pierce

Re:MS-SQL7, DB2 or Oracle ?

Craig Stuntz <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote:
>    I'm not trying to disparage the other products mentioned, but I do
> think that complaining about crashes when using middleware which doesn't
> even claim to support what is, after all, a beta version of IB is not
> fair to IB.

The point about it being beta is well-taken and I accept absolutely
what you're saying.

Paul...

>    -Craig

D4 Pro SP3 - NT 4, SP5