Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

Hi.

In MsSql Server 6.5 record lock is impossible because locking ever page of
data completly and can lock records contigous. In 7.0 version this continue
?? or is better Vs. 6.5 ?? In rallity i haven't develop in Sql Server but i
don'i imagine how work around of loking in multi-user enviroment. Any can
explain me ??

Thanks.

Rafael Hernandez

PD. My english is bad.. sorry, my mattern laguage is spanish.

Re:Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

Sql Server 7 now has row-level locking.  Sql Server 6.5 has page level
locking, and row level locking only on row inserts.  In 6.5, one can
simulate row-level locking by padding the row with extra fields of char such
that one row occupies one page.  You would be better off using SQL Sever 7.
Good luck.
Gene
Rafael R. Hernndez wrote in message <7k0i1a$f...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi.

>In MsSql Server 6.5 record lock is impossible because locking ever page of
>data completly and can lock records contigous. In 7.0 version this continue
>?? or is better Vs. 6.5 ?? In rallity i haven't develop in Sql Server but i
>don'i imagine how work around of loking in multi-user enviroment. Any can
>explain me ??

>Thanks.

>Rafael Hernandez

>PD. My english is bad.. sorry, my mattern laguage is spanish.

Re:Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

Thanks Gene.

Other question.

Limits on Text ans Image fields in MsSql Server 7.0 is better ??

Rafael Hernandez

Gene escribi en mensaje <7k0nfm$f...@forums.borland.com>...

>Sql Server 7 now has row-level locking.  Sql Server 6.5 has page level
>locking, and row level locking only on row inserts.  In 6.5, one can
>simulate row-level locking by padding the row with extra fields of char
such
>that one row occupies one page.  You would be better off using SQL Sever 7.
>Good luck.
>Gene

>Rafael R. Hernndez wrote in message <7k0i1a$f...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Hi.

>>In MsSql Server 6.5 record lock is impossible because locking ever page of
>>data completly and can lock records contigous. In 7.0 version this
continue
>>?? or is better Vs. 6.5 ?? In rallity i haven't develop in Sql Server but
>>don'i imagine how work around of loking in multi-user enviroment. Any can
>>explain me ??

>>Thanks.

>>Rafael Hernandez

>>PD. My english is bad.. sorry, my mattern laguage is spanish.

Re:Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

Be warned - row locking will only occur if the update is via an index.
Otherwise page locking will occur. Sql-Server 7 will evaluate this for you
automatically at post time, and you can not change it.

--
Adroit Software Ltd
------------------------------

Gene wrote in message <7k0nfm$f...@forums.borland.com>...
>Sql Server 7 now has row-level locking.  Sql Server 6.5 has page level
>locking, and row level locking only on row inserts.  In 6.5, one can
>simulate row-level locking by padding the row with extra fields of char
such
>that one row occupies one page.  You would be better off using SQL Sever 7.
>Good luck.
>Gene

>Rafael R. Hernndez wrote in message <7k0i1a$f...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Hi.

>>In MsSql Server 6.5 record lock is impossible because locking ever page of
>>data completly and can lock records contigous. In 7.0 version this
continue
>>?? or is better Vs. 6.5 ?? In rallity i haven't develop in Sql Server but
>>don'i imagine how work around of loking in multi-user enviroment. Any can
>>explain me ??

>>Thanks.

>>Rafael Hernandez

>>PD. My english is bad.. sorry, my mattern laguage is spanish.

Re:Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

Why can't you do a "with (rowlock)" in the update statement?

Bruce wrote in message <7k5rsv$km...@forums.borland.com>...
>Why can't you do a "with (rowlock)" in the update statement?

Ok, you can use 'with (rowlock)' if you are locked into using Sql-Server 7.
This is not a standard SQL syntax and may need to be changed if you have a
different back end. Also, I guess that if you are not updating via an index,
your performance will suffer considerably, so view it as good practice.

Re:Anybody can answer question on MsSql Server 6.5 Vs. 7.0

All points well taken. I'd really question an update without an index anyway
(unless you really have to).
Bruce

> Bruce wrote in message <7k5rsv$km...@forums.borland.com>...
> >Why can't you do a "with (rowlock)" in the update statement?

> Ok, you can use 'with (rowlock)' if you are locked into using Sql-Server
7.
> This is not a standard SQL syntax and may need to be changed if you have a
> different back end. Also, I guess that if you are not updating via an
> your performance will suffer considerably, so view it as good practice.

Other Threads