Board index » delphi » Let's find a good database!

Let's find a good database!

Hi everybody,
First of all , I hope this group is the right one to send this message.
I will not send the same message to the other newsgroups. Larry Hengen
scolded me for my last message.

Anyway, I was looking for a good database server. I learnt that there
are many database engines or servers in the market.

LET'S TRY TO FIND ALL THESE PRODUCTS. If you have time, you can also
include the advantages or disadvantages of them.

I Know these:

Paradox (Of course you know ,too. Just a list)
Interbase
Oracle
Sybase
Informix
Advantage
Halcyon
Codebase

 

Re:Let's find a good database!


 Don't neglect IBM DB2 5 Universal Server

I'm currently evaluating it and I have been very impressed with it.
Especially its ease of use!

James W. Ridgway
resinall corp. / University of Southern Mississippi
ridg...@resinallms.com
jridg...@orca.st.usm.edu

Quote
Gurkan Karagoz wrote in message <3484252D.F4464...@workmail.com>...
>Hi everybody,
>First of all , I hope this group is the right one to send this message.
>I will not send the same message to the other newsgroups. Larry Hengen
>scolded me for my last message.

>Anyway, I was looking for a good database server. I learnt that there
>are many database engines or servers in the market.

>LET'S TRY TO FIND ALL THESE PRODUCTS. If you have time, you can also
>include the advantages or disadvantages of them.

>I Know these:

>Paradox (Of course you know ,too. Just a list)
>Interbase
>Oracle
>Sybase
>Informix
>Advantage
>Halcyon
>Codebase

Re:Let's find a good database!


Gurkan

Try SQL Anywhere.  Main benefits are:

No full-time dba required.
Small footprint
Fast
Low cost
Remote capability
Data Server For Internet capability

On the downside:

Not a lot!
Placed between flat files and larger C/S brethren (ie Oracle, SQL
Server etc)

Derek Davidson
Author of DK's Audit Components
Get a FREE copy from my web site at :
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Re:Let's find a good database!


Negative: Autoincrement doesn't work properly.  Especially if you have a
grid up at the time.
Positive: I agree with those points. + Compressible database.  Efficient
storage mechanism.

Quote
Derek Davidson wrote in message ...
>Try SQL Anywhere.  Main benefits are:

>No full-time dba required.
>Small footprint
>Fast
>Low cost
>Remote capability
>Data Server For Internet capability

>On the downside:

>Not a lot!
>Placed between flat files and larger C/S brethren (ie Oracle, SQL
>Server etc)

Re:Let's find a good database!


SQL AnyWhere,
How can use it with Delphi, ODBC or any other driver?

Quote
Paul Bartlett wrote:

> Negative: Autoincrement doesn't work properly.  Especially if you have a
> grid up at the time.
> Positive: I agree with those points. + Compressible database.  Efficient
> storage mechanism.

> Derek Davidson wrote in message ...
> >Try SQL Anywhere.  Main benefits are:

> >No full-time dba required.
> >Small footprint
> >Fast
> >Low cost
> >Remote capability
> >Data Server For Internet capability

> >On the downside:

> >Not a lot!
> >Placed between flat files and larger C/S brethren (ie Oracle, SQL
> >Server etc)

Re:Let's find a good database!


Paul

I've never had a problem with auto-increment. Care to elucidate?

Derek Davidson
Author of DK's Audit Components
Get a FREE copy from my web site at :
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Re:Let's find a good database!


Gurkan

SQL Anywhere comes complete with FAST ODBC drivers. Delphi uses ODBC to
connect to SQL Anywhere.  You can also use 3rd party ODBC libraries to
access it. (ie ODBC Express and Titan).

Derek Davidson
Author of DK's Audit Components
Get a FREE copy from my web site at :
http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson

(Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Re:Let's find a good database!


I agree with all that Derek says about SQL Anywhere.  It is great, cheap
and fast.

I disagree regarding TITAN.  I'm sorry, but their tecnical support
simply sucks. Most messages I send are totally ignored by them.  Can't
recommend a product that the vendor doesn't support.

On the otherhand, Sybase's support of SQL anywhere is superb!

-Dave

Quote
Derek Davidson wrote:

> Gurkan

> SQL Anywhere comes complete with FAST ODBC drivers. Delphi uses ODBC to
> connect to SQL Anywhere.  You can also use 3rd party ODBC libraries to
> access it. (ie ODBC Express and Titan).

> Derek Davidson
> Author of DK's Audit Components
> Get a FREE copy from my web site at :
> http://freespace.{*word*269}.net/d.davidson

> (Remove the x to EMail me : der...@mksoft.com)

Other Threads