Problem with Dcom connection between W95 and NT4.

Hello,

Could somebody help me??

I am trying to establish a Dcom connection between a client on a W95
machine and a server on a NT4 machine. I have made 2 simple applications
with delphi4 added a automation class, without event support. I tried
the following configurations.

- Client and server locally works find. (NT or W95)

- The server on the W95 and the client on the NT4 machine works, but I
get a entry I my
   NT logs, with the message "can't communicatie with computer
"192.0.0.xx" with the
   currently installated protocols'. (Something like this, I translated
this from dutch!). I
   don't understand what's going wrong, or which protocols I have to
install in NT or
   W95. (I think TCP/IP UDP/IP with fixed IP adresses should work and
RPC in NT and
    DCOM 1.1 installed in W95)

- The server on the NT4 machine and the client on the W95 machine
doesn't work.
   * When the client doesn't have the rights, the message on the W95
machine is "access
       denied", this I understand.
   * But when I set the DCOM protection on the NT machine globally to
"none" and the
      DCOM object protection to "none", so all clients can connect. And
then let the client
      (W95) connect, it takes about 2 minuts, and then I get the error
that the server is
      inavailable. (I already started the server on the NT machine) I
also see this action in
      the logs of the NT machine. Something that the server didn't
register in a certain
      timeout ??.

The only function I call in delphi is
CoSimpleServer.CreateRemote('192.0.0.xx') this function fails. Even
tried to use (Co)CreateInstanceEx but this is the same function Inprise
uses in the ComObj unit ..

Could somebody give me hints or tips that I can tried to make the
NT(server) en W95(Client) construction work.

Thanks.

Please send any replies to this newsgroup.

Rob Rademaker
r...@rademaker.demon.nl

Re:Problem with Dcom connection between W95 and NT4.

Hi,

I too get a similar error message when I have a server on a NT4 and the
client on an NT4 machine. I can get the client to connect to the server no
problem most of the time but when I am using Cold Fusion as the client I get
the error message 'Access denied' and whn I inspect the event log I find
that DCOM has raised an error message 'The server
{936B0522-C848-11D2-B347-0464381E14EB} did not register with DCOM within the
required timeout.'. In processes tab in the Task Manager I can see that the
server has been started, but then it just fails returning the error above. I
have set up security as you detailed below(basically none). Has anyone come
across a reason/solution to this problem?

regards,
Kieran

Other Threads