How many licenses are required for a local Interbase server ???

Hello,

we are going to use the Interbase server for a local installation. All applications, which are accessing the database, are residing locally on the same server as the database.

We have ordered now the Interbase 6.5 Media Kit for testing purposes. Within this package we got a 'Local InterBase Activation License' including '2 Users' and 2 'Simultaneous user license for one (1) user'. This sums up to 4 users in total.

Additionally we received printed documentation from Borland among other things an 'Operations Guide' for InterBase 6.5. There we found on page 52 something about the 'attachement governor':
"Multiply the value of the USERS field in the license file by four to determine the total number of permitted concurrent attachments."

If I have a look at the server properties using the IB Console I see the 'Capabilities:    Server is limited to 4 users'. Thats ok.

Now the problem:
If we open more than 4 connections to the local database in parallel the warning pops up: "Maximum count of users exceeded...."

What we are expecting is to have 4x4 connections (this means 16).
What we see is that we have only 4 parallel connections possible.

Do we have parallel connections per user only if we use the remote server variant via TCP/IP? If we need 10 parallel local connections we have to buy additional licenses for 6 users extra??

Any help is surely appreciated

Roland

Re:How many licenses are required for a local Interbase server ???

Check your e-mail.

Ben
--
InterBase Technical Support
Borland Software Corp.

Roland Scherer wrote:

> Hello,

> we are going to use the Interbase server for a local installation. All applications, which are accessing the database, are residing locally on the same server as the database.

> We have ordered now the Interbase 6.5 Media Kit for testing purposes. Within this package we got a 'Local InterBase Activation License' including '2 Users' and 2 'Simultaneous user license for one (1) user'. This sums up to 4 users in total.

> Additionally we received printed documentation from Borland among other things an 'Operations Guide' for InterBase 6.5. There we found on page 52 something about the 'attachement governor':
> "Multiply the value of the USERS field in the license file by four to determine the total number of permitted concurrent attachments."

> If I have a look at the server properties using the IB Console I see the 'Capabilities:    Server is limited to 4 users'. Thats ok.

> Now the problem:
> If we open more than 4 connections to the local database in parallel the warning pops up: "Maximum count of users exceeded...."

> What we are expecting is to have 4x4 connections (this means 16).
> What we see is that we have only 4 parallel connections possible.

> Do we have parallel connections per user only if we use the remote server variant via TCP/IP? If we need 10 parallel local connections we have to buy additional licenses for 6 users extra??

> Any help is surely appreciated

> Roland

And now a word from Legal...

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for
use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that
any  dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and
any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout
thereof.

Re:How many licenses are required for a local Interbase server ???

In article <3cc41fc0$1_2@dnews>, R.Sche...@alcatel.de says...
> Do we have parallel connections per user only if we use the remote
> server variant via TCP/IP? If we need 10 parallel local connections
> we have to buy additional licenses for 6 users extra??

        No, connection limits apply to local connections, too.  However, I
thought that an IB Desktop Edition license got you at least 4
connections.  That said, you shouldn't need 10 simultaneous connections
in a desktop situation.

        -Craig

Re:How many licenses are required for a local Interbase server ???

> Check your e-mail.

I do that all the time ... but I've never found a license in there ;-)

--
Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

"This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object."

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" wrote:
> However, I thought that an IB Desktop Edition license got you at
> least 4 connections.

No, IB Desktop comes with 2 connections.

Ben
--

Martijn Tonies wrote:
>I do that all the time ... but I've never found a license in there ;-)

Very funny. ;)

Ben
--
InterBase Technical Support