Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

I made a Delphi4-program which uses a Access97-database.
I have a official version of Delphi 4 (Professional Edition) and I also have
a official version of Microsoft Office 97 Professional which includes
Access97.

Is it legal for me to distribute my Delphi-program and the
Access97-database??
In other words: can i freely distribute Access-databases (of course not the
Access97 application itselfs, but only a database made with Access97).

Bye
R. Mittendorff
the Netherlands

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

The database itself (*.mdb files) are your own property, so you may
distribute them as you wish.

--
Dave White
SpectraChrom Software

Robert (R) <r...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> I made a Delphi4-program which uses a Access97-database.
> I have a official version of Delphi 4 (Professional Edition) and I also
have
> a official version of Microsoft Office 97 Professional which includes
> Access97.

> Is it legal for me to distribute my Delphi-program and the
> Access97-database??
> In other words: can i freely distribute Access-databases (of course not
the
> Access97 application itselfs, but only a database made with Access97).

> Bye
> R. Mittendorff
> the Netherlands

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

I'm not so sure.  I believe since you aren't using Access or any other M$
product to access the Access database then you might have an issue - unless
this case was finally resolved.  However, my company faced this problem and to
get around it - we wrote a very small dll using MS C++ - thus we were
authorized to redistribute the database for free.

Michael

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

You can distribute the database and the program without any problems.
However, in order to access an Access db, the computer will need DAO or ADO
installed. Herein lies an ongoing discussion. DAO/ADO are producta of
Microsoft and are not allowed to be redistributed unless you have some type
of Microsoft development project software. Then, there are two opinions: One
says (and I follow this one) that as long as I own the MS software with
distribution rights, I can do it. The other is that some part of your
program to distribute is built with the MS product.

--
Woody

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

Correction on this: you can distribute MS OLE DB Providers with ADO for
free. It is downloadable as the MSDAC.

Jack

Woody <woody....@ih2000.net> wrote in message

> You can distribute the database and the program without any problems.
> However, in order to access an Access db, the computer will need DAO or
ADO
> installed. Herein lies an ongoing discussion. DAO/ADO are producta of
> Microsoft and are not allowed to be redistributed unless you have some
type
> of Microsoft development project software. Then, there are two opinions:
One
> says (and I follow this one) that as long as I own the MS software with
> distribution rights, I can do it. The other is that some part of your
> program to distribute is built with the MS product.

> --
> Woody

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

Sorry!
My problem is How to make a install program of Delphi with MS Acdcess
J <nos...@umbra.demon.nl> wrote in message

> Correction on this: you can distribute MS OLE DB Providers with ADO for
> free. It is downloadable as the MSDAC.

> Jack

Re:Distributing Access97-database with Delphi-program (LEGAL??)

Buy
InstallShield Express 2.11
It have a option to install DAO/jet

Install files in
<WINSYSDIR>
msjet35.dll *
msjter35.dll
msjint35.dll
vbajet32.dll
vbar332.dll
msrd2x35.dll *
msrepl35.dll
msvcrt40.dll
msexcl35.dll *
msltus35.dll *
mspdox35.dll *
mstext35.dll *
msxbse35.dll *

<CommonFilesDir>\Microsoft Shared\DAO
dao350.dll *
dao2535.tlb *

Files with a * are a ole servers and must be registeded.
Instashield 2.11 do it.

Other Threads