Board index » delphi » Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed

Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed

Did you set LOCAL SHARE to TRUE in BDE Administrator? It's needed to be like
that for immediate updates.

FV

 

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


I have an app running on  an NT Network, anytime a client updates a db
record, the other clients don't see changes until the app is closed, or a
different section is chosen (which closes the db in question.).

This data needs to be online. Not cached...

How can I get this resolved.

Is this behavior normal???

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Yes LOCAL SHARE is set to TRUE

Quote
Florin Vancea wrote in message <6nr1g3$f7...@forums.borland.com>...
>Did you set LOCAL SHARE to TRUE in BDE Administrator? It's needed to be
like
>that for immediate updates.

>FV

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Try dbiSaveChanges in every AfterPost event of each table.

FV

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


You have at least two options:

1. Use a TTimer to refresh the table at regurar intervals.
2. Write your own change notification system to advice all the user that
there are connected to the table that changes have occurred.

If you are interested on the second option I want EMail you the solution
that I'm using on my Paradox programs.

Best Regards,

David Mart
informat...@vivapel.com

Don Kelly escribi en mensaje <6nr0v7$f7...@forums.borland.com>...

Quote
>I have an app running on  an NT Network, anytime a client updates a db
>record, the other clients don't see changes until the app is closed, or a
>different section is chosen (which closes the db in question.).

>This data needs to be online. Not cached...

>How can I get this resolved.

>Is this behavior normal???

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Clarification...

It is true that other clients do not see the changes. But notifying them is
not the issue. The entire story is this.

I have a 3rd party Delphi app (using Pdox w/BDE) that calls my in-house
developed Delphi App. Passing data to it via a Table. My App reads the Table
and then has insight into where the other app is focused.  Our problem is
that the Table that transfers the data to my custom app is not being written
out to disk quick enough (appears to only happen when table is closed).

That's it...

Quote
David Mart wrote in message <6nr2a5$f7...@forums.borland.com>...
>You have at least two options:

>1. Use a TTimer to refresh the table at regurar intervals.
>2. Write your own change notification system to advice all the user that
>there are connected to the table that changes have occurred.

>If you are interested on the second option I want EMail you the solution
>that I'm using on my Paradox programs.

>Best Regards,

>David Mart
>informat...@vivapel.com

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Sorry, I'm a poor man and not understand the last part of your message. Can
you tell me more about it?

Regards,

David Mart

Don Kelly escribi en mensaje <6nr2sh$f7...@forums.borland.com>...

Quote
>Clarification...

>It is true that other clients do not see the changes. But notifying them is
>not the issue. The entire story is this.

>I have a 3rd party Delphi app (using Pdox w/BDE) that calls my in-house
>developed Delphi App. Passing data to it via a Table. My App reads the
Table
>and then has insight into where the other app is focused.  Our problem is
>that the Table that transfers the data to my custom app is not being
written
>out to disk quick enough (appears to only happen when table is closed).

>That's it...

>David Mart wrote in message <6nr2a5$f7...@forums.borland.com>...
>>You have at least two options:

>>1. Use a TTimer to refresh the table at regurar intervals.
>>2. Write your own change notification system to advice all the user that
>>there are connected to the table that changes have occurred.

>>If you are interested on the second option I want EMail you the solution
>>that I'm using on my Paradox programs.

>>Best Regards,

>>David Mart
>>informat...@vivapel.com

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


I saw this behavior once.  In my case, I was running two Win95 computers,
RGD-1 and RGD-2.  I had both stations access a database on RGD-1.  On RGD-1
the BDE was configured with net directory set to C:\NetDir.  On RGD-2, the
net directory was set to \\RGD-1\C\NetDir.  When I changed the net
directory on RGD-1 to use the network file nameing convention,
\\RGD-1\C\NetDir, the problem went away.  Hope this helps.

RGDawson

Don Kelly <dke...@lifeaction.org> wrote in article
<6nr0v7$f7...@forums.borland.com>...

Quote
> I have an app running on  an NT Network, anytime a client updates a db
> record, the other clients don't see changes until the app is closed, or a
> different section is chosen (which closes the db in question.).

> This data needs to be online. Not cached...

> How can I get this resolved.

> Is this behavior normal???

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Make sure the BDE is configured as described in TI2989 at
www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.  You may also need to disable
opportunistic locking on the NT server.

--
Bill

(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
(To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Bill:

Is Opportunistic locking not supported by the BDE?  It enhances performance
tremendously when recent writes have not been made.

Mike Van Nuland

Quote
Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote in message <6nrtar$fo...@forums.borland.com>...
>Make sure the BDE is configured as described in TI2989 at
>www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.  You may also need to disable
>opportunistic locking on the NT server.

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


Bill,

Our BDE is setup exactly as described in TI2989 and opportunistic locking is
off ...

Don

Quote
Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote in message <6nrtar$fo...@forums.borland.com>...
>Make sure the BDE is configured as described in TI2989 at
>www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list.  You may also need to disable
>opportunistic locking on the NT server.

>--
>Bill

>(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
>(To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


I do not know why some users have to disable opportunistic locking and
others do not.  I have applications running on NT Servers with oppertunistic
locking quite happily.

--
Bill

(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
(To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Re:Networked File Updates don't show up until db is closed


I don't know.  I have never had a problem on an NT server network with
updates to Paradox tables as long as the configuration followed TI2989.

--
Bill

(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
(To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Other Threads