Mailing Report?

Hi all.

I'm using Delphi 5 Enterprise, MS Access 97 ( with BDE ) and
Quick Report 3.0.5.

I have a report ( page set to A4 ), that has to be printed on a
Epson FX-1170 printer ( A3 printer ).

This report is a mailing labels with 2 columns.

On the printer properties ( on Windows ), I have that the Paper
is set to Custom, where: Width = 3810 and Length = 1010; the
units are 0.1 milimeters.

If I change the Paper type ( from Custom to another else ) or
change the Custom user-defined size, only is printed a bit of
the first column label.

Why is this happening? Is there any fix to this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
    Joaquim.

Re:Mailing Report?

> I have a report ( page set to A4 ), that has to be printed on a
> Epson FX-1170 printer ( A3 printer ).

> On the printer properties ( on Windows ), I have that the Paper
> is set to Custom, where: Width = 3810 and Length = 1010; the
> units are 0.1 milimeters.

> If I change the Paper type ( from Custom to another else ) or
> change the Custom user-defined size, only is printed a bit of
> the first column label.

I would "guess" that you are have a "waste area" problem. There are "non-
printable" margins area on most windows printers. Each printer behaves
differently if / when you attempt to print in those areas. Some simply
ignore the print request while others will truncate the text.

If you are so inclined I have a free "Printer Driver Test" program on my
web site (it does test for waste areas). The program was written to help
"discover" some of the printer / printer driver / OS issues. If you want
to try it, go to the download page of www.pcpav.com and download the free
"Printer Driver Test" program. It might show if you have a waste area
issues.

Later, Jim (senior)

Re:Mailing Report?

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I've executed PDTest.exe and I need some more help, please.

Is this correct - we should avoid to use Custom Paper Size?

On the printed paper I have four: 0,0000. What does these means?

What does means the numbers: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 that appears
on Top, Left and Rigth sides?

On Preview of PDTest.exe, I see 2 yellow margins ( Top and
Left ). Is these the "waste area"?

Thanks again!

Best regards,
    Joaquim.

Jim Dodson <nos...@isp.com> wrote:
>> I have a report ( page set to A4 ), that has to be printed on a
>> Epson FX-1170 printer ( A3 printer ).

>> On the printer properties ( on Windows ), I have that the Paper
>> is set to Custom, where: Width = 3810 and Length = 1010; the
>> units are 0.1 milimeters.

>> If I change the Paper type ( from Custom to another else ) or
>> change the Custom user-defined size, only is printed a bit of
>> the first column label.

>I would "guess" that you are have a "waste area" problem. There are "non-
>printable" margins area on most windows printers. Each printer behaves
>differently if / when you attempt to print in those areas. Some simply
>ignore the print request while others will truncate the text.

>If you are so inclined I have a free "Printer Driver Test" program on my
>web site (it does test for waste areas). The program was written to help
>"discover" some of the printer / printer driver / OS issues. If you want
>to try it, go to the download page of www.pcpav.com and download the free
>"Printer Driver Test" program. It might show if you have a waste area
>issues.

>Later, Jim (senior)

Re:Mailing Report?

> Is this correct - we should avoid to use Custom Paper Size?

I can not give a blanket answer for that. I have several custom sizes that
are fortunately smaller than a standard letter size. So what I do (in
cases where custom size fails) is to set the paper size to letter and
"play" with the appropriate margins to simulate the desired "custom" size.

> On the printed paper I have four: 0,0000. What does these means?

What kind of printer? Is it the Epson FX-1170? I loaded the driver but
can NOT simulate another printer since the REAL test is to actually print
to that printer. I set the output to US standard fan fold and I believe
the numbers you are talking about are the "waste" area for that side. If
it is a dot matrix set to fan fold, then 0.0 would make sense. PDTest is
really aimed at the deskjet or laserjet market. Try it on one of those
type printers and I think you will see what that part is trying to tell
you. Of course, you could change the Epson output to A3, A4 and see the
differences as well.

> What does means the numbers: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 that appears
> on Top, Left and Rigth sides?

Understand that there are lots of items on that one page that are simply
there to "test" the actual output. If the output totally matches the
preview - great. If not, then you have a printer with a problem / issue
for that item. For example, there are red solid lines and red dashed lines
around the report. A fair number of NT drivers will print the dashed lines
as solid lines. Or unfortunately, many will just not print a colored line
at all. So the numbers are there (in black) to show you where you should
have had lines.

> On Preview of PDTest.exe, I see 2 yellow margins ( Top and
> Left ). Is these the "waste area"?

Two yellow margins??? You have me there, I do not see any yellow margins.
I do have some yellow shapes with gray shapes inside them with and without
borders. A dot-matrix typically has NO waste area - they can usually print
on the entire sheet. I haven't had access to any dot-matrix printers for
many many years now - so I'm not able to test anything on my system. Maybe
I am lucky, I have a few thousand clients, but none of them have a dot-
matrix (at least none admit to it). Many have cheap deskjets while others
have the latest greatest server laser printer with duplex and huge bins.

OK, I just looked at the Epson preview and are you referring the ruler
lines? I just noticed that the word "Left" and "Top" are printing into the
ruler area (with 0.0 waste). The "rulers" are for preview only and will
not print.

Again, compare the actual output with the preview. If it matches (without
the ruler lines) EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE - great. If not then there is an
issue with the printer / printer driver / OS combination. The only fix is
to work with the printer manufacturer (and hope they will respond). I can
not help you to fix an issue - only to help you "know" the issue exists
ahead of time. If you can get the printer manufacturer to respond great.
It took me almost two years to get an item fixed many years ago. And, I
felt lucky that they responded at all.

Remember, each item on the report is an item that has failed (has a
history of failing) in the past on some printer / printer driver. For
example, I am looking at some HP Laserjet 6P output running on Windows
2000 pro. The driver that came with Win2K can not print colored lines -
can not print the color words as shades of gray (they are all black).
Download the latest driver from the HP site, and the output is almost
perfect. However, even the latest driver from HP can not print the colored
dash lines (prints them as solid black lines). Will HP respond on that
model now - probably not as it is listed by them as an "obsolete" model.
However, I am now alert that colored lines (dash and solid) are potential
issues for some of my clients and therefore I now try to avoid using
colored lines.

Later, Jim (senior)

Re:Mailing Report?

> I'm using Delphi 5 Enterprise, MS Access 97 ( with BDE ) and
> Quick Report 3.0.5.
> I have a report ( page set to A4 ), that has to be printed on a
> Epson FX-1170 printer ( A3 printer ).
> This report is a mailing labels with 2 columns.

Back to your core question / problem - printing labels. I have never used
QR (I use Rave 4.x), but have dealt with a wide variety of mailing label
issues. The basic problem is label output MUST match the physical layout
of the labels you are using. However, various printer drivers can have
limits that might cause undesired behavior.

For example, I have one client that has a printer with almost a 2 inch
bottom waste area (non-printable). That makes the bottom row of labels not
useable. If you use a "standard" label type output, you could have a
problem as it will assume the bottom row is available. It would send data
to be printed, but in fact you would get unuseable labels.

The only work around to potential "waste area" issues is to have a label
routine smart enough to check if the "Full" label area is available. If
yes, then print - if no, then skip that label(s). That might be happening
to you - the right column doesn't sense it has the full design width and
therefore skips those labels. If that is it, you might see if you can
change the label width so that it "fits" within the limits of the printer
driver???

I have to get back to work now. Good luck chasing this one.

Later, Jim (senior)

Other Threads