sending mail via MAPI

Hi,

the MSSQL is able to send an report email to the admin via MAPI. What do I have
to install, configure at the server to use this function. Is Outlook Express MAPI?`

thx
carsten willems

Re:sending mail via MAPI

It depends on the version of SQL Serverr that you are using:

In SQL7 it uses Simple MAPI, this comes with NT4 (but not Win2k) and
Outlook, BUT you need a version of outlook that will allow you to create
profiles as SQLMail uses these, outlook express does not support profile
creation.

In SQL2000 it uses Extended MAPI, this only comes with Outlook2000 and
above. However be careful of using Outlook XP as in that release the MAPI
spooler was moved from the MAPI .dll to the Outlook.exe, which means if you
need to send SMTP mail through SQLMail then the outlook process must be
running at all times on the box as it uses the MAPI spooler.

This KB is pretty useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q263556

-Euan

"Carsten Willems" <cwill...@eoa.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> the MSSQL is able to send an report email to the admin via MAPI. What do I
have
> to install, configure at the server to use this function. Is Outlook
Express MAPI?`

> thx
> carsten willems

Re:sending mail via MAPI