Filter and the last record in the set

I have a very large table that I would like to set filter on.  I am
using a grid on the form which to display/edit the records.  The problem
is when the elevator is pulled to the bottom (last record) and the user
presses the down arrow or tabs to add another record the system takes a
very long time to come back ready for the user to enter information.  Is
there anything that can be done to improve performance?

Thanks in advance
Dan

Re:Filter and the last record in the set

The best solution is to use SetRange instead of a filter if you can get the
result you need that way.  If you can use SetRange for part of the selection
criteria and a filter for the rest that will help.  If you cannot do that
build an index on the fields you are selecting on in the filter expression.

The problem is that the filter is searching the table sequentially.

--
Bill

Re:Filter and the last record in the set

Thanks again,

I will give this a try.  I did try the set range and it worked well.  However
the problem I encountered is we also use InfoPower 3 and need to perform
incremental searches on the range of records.  When the user changes the index
order to accomadate the search, the table looses the set range settings.  I will
try to use the set range along with the table filter.  Any other advise is
appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:
> The best solution is to use SetRange instead of a filter if you can get the
> result you need that way.  If you can use SetRange for part of the selection
> criteria and a filter for the rest that will help.  If you cannot do that
> build an index on the fields you are selecting on in the filter expression.

> The problem is that the filter is searching the table sequentially.

> --
> Bill

> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
> (To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Other Threads