QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

Searching the Internet I came accoss QuickReport and I must say, it's a nice
piece of work!
There is however one problem I have that keeps me from using it seriously. If my
problem really is a bug, I don't thing anyone would be using it!

My problem is this :

I have a QReport-form with a simple report based on one Paradox 5.0 table.
This report is built with QReport version 1.0D and Delphi 1.0cs.
All fields are Arial 10 pitch.
The report contains one memo-field, and that is the one causing the problems!

Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field (according to
the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that to QReport.

And that's the problem : it does not wordwrap correctly, parts of my text (at the
end of each line) disappear.
This is not due to printing outside the printable zone of my printer, because a
field placed behind the memo-field is printed alright.
In preview mode it seems to be OK!

The problem is reproducable on a :
HP Laserjet III
HP Laserjet IIIsi
HP Laserjet IV

Is this a QReport problem / bug ?
Is this a printer (HP) problem ?
Is this a BIG mistake on my behalf ?
   (Wrong property set (I experimented with AUTOSIZE of the rDBText-fld
     and the PRINTSCALE and SCALED properties of the form))

The report also discards the font-property on some of the printers, printing the
report in fairly large letters. Maybe this can be a hint to solving my problem.

I am evaluating QReport at the moment, and this problem could mean that i am not
going to use it anymore.

The application i have (a memo field on a report) is so common, that i cannot
imagine that noone has solved this problem before me, so Delphi-community :
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

Delphi is great!
spread the word.

Greetz,
Nic.

Re:QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

Sommeling, Nico wrote:

> Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

> Searching the Internet I came accoss QuickReport and I must say, it's a nice
> piece of work!
> There is however one problem I have that keeps me from using it seriously. If my
> problem really is a bug, I don't thing anyone would be using it!

> My problem is this :

> I have a QReport-form with a simple report based on one Paradox 5.0 table.
> This report is built with QReport version 1.0D and Delphi 1.0cs.
> All fields are Arial 10 pitch.
> The report contains one memo-field, and that is the one causing the problems!

> Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field (according to
> the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
> The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that to QReport.

> And that's the problem : it does not wordwrap correctly, parts of my text (at the
> end of each line) disappear.
> This is not due to printing outside the printable zone of my printer, because a
> field placed behind the memo-field is printed alright.
> In preview mode it seems to be OK!

> The problem is reproducable on a :
> HP Laserjet III
> HP Laserjet IIIsi
> HP Laserjet IV

> Is this a QReport problem / bug ?
> Is this a printer (HP) problem ?
> Is this a BIG mistake on my behalf ?
>    (Wrong property set (I experimented with AUTOSIZE of the rDBText-fld
>      and the PRINTSCALE and SCALED properties of the form))

> The report also discards the font-property on some of the printers, printing the
> report in fairly large letters. Maybe this can be a hint to solving my problem.

> I am evaluating QReport at the moment, and this problem could mean that i am not
> going to use it anymore.

> The application i have (a memo field on a report) is so common, that i cannot
> imagine that noone has solved this problem before me, so Delphi-community :
> PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

> Delphi is great!
> spread the word.

> Greetz,
> Nic.

You are correct. There is a bug and they (Allan L.) has been aware of it
since May. There is a beta of 10e available if you have purchased
Qreports. This has fixes for this and other prooblems. A work-around is
to preformat the memo field using either a TStringList or a DBMemo
component(to see what you're doing) by counting characters. This looks a
little crude, but it's all there.

I assume that release 10e will fix this.

        Don

Re:QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

In article <32899B49.7...@Hvision.NL>, "Sommeling, Nico"

<Nic...@Hvision.NL> writes:
>Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

Hi Nico -
One net etiquette item - posting this message to all Delphi groups becomes
annoying.  I replied in the first group I found, would recommend you find
the group that most applies to your question and post the question there
rather than shotgun it all over.

jefSumm...@aol.com

Re:QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

> > Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

> > I have a QReport-form with a simple report based on one Paradox 5.0 table.
> > This report is built with QReport version 1.0D and Delphi 1.0cs.
> > All fields are Arial 10 pitch.
> > The report contains one memo-field, and that is the one causing the
problems!

> > Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field
(according to
> > the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
> > The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that to
QReport.

> > Nic.

If you use D1 (seem so) then

use TDBMemo that it's parent is the Baner. I did so and it works

                                Arnon

Re:QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

Arnon;

I don't think I understand your message completely. I am having the same
problem displaying a memo on a Quick Report form. It seems as though you
said you put a TDBMemo on one of the bands in the Report and that
somehow worked. I can not make it work for me. Could you give me a bit
more detail. I am using Delphi 1.0 and Quick Reports 10.d.

I would sincerely appreciate any help.

Thanks
Keith

arn...@netvision.net.il wrote:

> > > Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

> > > I have a QReport-form with a simple report based on one Paradox 5.0 table.
> > > This report is built with QReport version 1.0D and Delphi 1.0cs.
> > > All fields are Arial 10 pitch.
> > > The report contains one memo-field, and that is the one causing the
> problems!

> > > Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field
> (according to
> > > the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
> > > The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that to
> QReport.

> > > Nic.

> If you use D1 (seem so) then

> use TDBMemo that it's parent is the Baner. I did so and it works

>                                 Arnon

Other Threads