Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Greetings,

A while back I read about  a computer show where Borland/Inprise reps
were showing a version of Delphi that emitted Java Byte-Code instead
of the standard Windows Binaries.

Does anyone know anything about this, especially whether or not
Inprise has made any official announcements to include this feature in
future versions of Delphi? I am most curiour to find out more about
this.

Peter S. Lee

Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
http://www.isshomefront.com
E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

To write Java apps you need Inpprise's JBuilder. It's an easy-to-use
RAD-tool. You can draw components on a form and set their event handlers
like you do it in Delphi.

Christoph Studer.

>Greetings,

>A while back I read about  a computer show where Borland/Inprise reps
>were showing a version of Delphi that emitted Java Byte-Code instead
>of the standard Windows Binaries.

>Does anyone know anything about this, especially whether or not
>Inprise has made any official announcements to include this feature in
>future versions of Delphi? I am most curiour to find out more about
>this.

>Peter S. Lee

>Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
>http://www.isshomefront.com
>E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Yes, it's true. See Dr Bob's site for some info, under Delphi, 98/08/14 -
ICon98 News.
I can't recall any official announcements.

David.

Yes, it's true. See Dr Bob's site ( http://www.drbob42.com/ ) for some info,
under Delphi, 98/08/14 - ICon98 News.
I can't recall any official announcements.

David.

Peter S. Lee wrote in message <3697b3c4.1884...@ftl.msen.com>...
>Greetings,

>A while back I read about  a computer show where Borland/Inprise reps
>were showing a version of Delphi that emitted Java Byte-Code instead
>of the standard Windows Binaries.

>Does anyone know anything about this, especially whether or not
>Inprise has made any official announcements to include this feature in
>future versions of Delphi? I am most curiour to find out more about
>this.

>Peter S. Lee

>Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
>http://www.isshomefront.com
>E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Peter,

You read it right. This was something that was talked about along time ago
and there were rumours that this technology would even make it into version
4 but it never did.

This was a snippet I got hold of some time ago -

"During his keynote address yesterday, Rick LeFaivre, Inprise senior vice
president of research and development, offered a technology preview in which
future versions of
Delphi include the ability to compile Delphi components into Java byte
code."

When this will happen I don't think is known (outside of Borland anyway).
Did you know there is already a product on the market called Delphi2Java
which converts apps to applets, I have tried the demo version and this
worked well, The full pro version also supports data aware stuff, i think
its at http://www.javadelphi.com or http://www.delphijava.com can't quite
remember !!!

Gary

Peter S. Lee wrote in message <3697b3c4.1884...@ftl.msen.com>...
>Greetings,

>A while back I read about  a computer show where Borland/Inprise reps
>were showing a version of Delphi that emitted Java Byte-Code instead
>of the standard Windows Binaries.

>Does anyone know anything about this, especially whether or not
>Inprise has made any official announcements to include this feature in
>future versions of Delphi? I am most curiour to find out more about
>this.

>Peter S. Lee

>Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
>http://www.isshomefront.com
>E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

"David" <arna...@centretech.n-o-s-p-a-m.com.au> wrote:
>Yes, it's true. See Dr Bob's site ( http://www.drbob42.com/ ) for some info,
>under Delphi, 98/08/14 - ICon98 News.
>I can't recall any official announcements.

Peter S. Lee

Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
http://www.isshomefront.com
E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Thanks Gary. I will check it out. As for Delphi2Java, it was made by
PowerBBS Programming (I used to run their BBS). I never was big on
conversion tools...most did a lousy job. However, if you have tried it
then I might give it a look...things can change!

Thanks again!

"Gary Kind" <ga...@desktop.prestel.co.uk> wrote:

Peter S. Lee

Inspired Software Solutions, Inc.
http://www.isshomefront.com
E-Mail: Replace the "underscore" with an underscore "_".

Re:Delphi Does Java Byte-code??!!

Hi Peter,

> A while back I read about  a computer show where Borland/Inprise reps
> were showing a version of Delphi that emitted Java Byte-Code instead
> of the standard Windows Binaries.

Yes, I was there and saw it happen. Chuck (the man behind Delphi) demo'd
the new Delphi-2-Java-ByteCode command-line compiler at ICon98. For more
information, check out my ICon98 conference report, which can be found at
http://www.drbob42.com/borcon98.htm

> Peter S. Lee

Groetjes,
          Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - http://www.drbob42.com)