Record xyz is not in sort order: a solution

We often heared in this newsgroup, how the problem "Record xyz is not
in sort order" can be solved: Going back to BDE 2.51.

But often, it is not possible to do so, because the BDE 2.51 has big
problems with some networks. Secondary indexe are also more often out
of date.

So, there is a problem: Take BDE2.52 with the ordering problem or use
2.51 with the caching problem.

BUT: It is possible, to use BDE 2.52 without these problems.
If you e.g. want to index the name and city of peoples, than you only
got problems, if there are special international characters in these
fields.
So only add a new field "OrderingField" and manually set this field to
lowercase and without international characters (use e.g. ae instead of
?) in the before-post-event. So, if you set the index on this field,
you have no problem.

This is a very easy way to overcome this problem and  it works fine.

BTW: I send Borland a small database, which includes this problem and
hope to get a real solution for this problem in the next days. (* hope
*)

  Steff
Stefan Kirch    mailto:stefan.ki...@bkr-software.com

Re:Record xyz is not in sort order: a solution

Stefan Kirch wrote:

> We often heared in this newsgroup, how the problem "Record xyz is not
> in sort order" can be solved: Going back to BDE 2.51.

> But often, it is not possible to do so, because the BDE 2.51 has big
> problems with some networks. Secondary indexe are also more often out
> of date.

> So, there is a problem: Take BDE2.52 with the ordering problem or use
> 2.51 with the caching problem.

> BTW: I send Borland a small database, which includes this problem and
> hope to get a real solution for this problem in the next days. (* hope
> *)

>   Steff
> Stefan Kirch    mailto:stefan.ki...@bkr-software.com

Please let the rest of the world know if you get a reply on this issue.
Also, if you would be bothered to send info to my email address...? I
don't monitor this group constantly.

Harald Heggelund

Stefan.Ki...@bkr-software.com (Stefan Kirch) wrote:
>We often heared in this newsgroup, how the problem "Record xyz is not
>in sort order" can be solved: Going back to BDE 2.51.

>But often, it is not possible to do so, because the BDE 2.51 has big
>problems with some networks. Secondary indexe are also more often out
>of date.

>So, there is a problem: Take BDE2.52 with the ordering problem or use
>2.51 with the caching problem.

>BUT: It is possible, to use BDE 2.52 without these problems.
>If you e.g. want to index the name and city of peoples, than you only
>got problems, if there are special international characters in these
>fields.
>So only add a new field "OrderingField" and manually set this field to
>lowercase and without international characters (use e.g. ae instead of
>?) in the before-post-event. So, if you set the index on this field,
>you have no problem.

>This is a very easy way to overcome this problem and  it works fine.

>BTW: I send Borland a small database, which includes this problem and
>hope to get a real solution for this problem in the next days. (* hope
>*)

>  Steff
>Stefan Kirch    mailto:stefan.ki...@bkr-software.com

Hello,

Can you use Borland's new version of the BDE? I'm curious if you see
the same problem in it. You can pick up a copy at Borland's web site
(http://www.borland.com/bde/).

Let me know,
Allen

---
"The Inter-Galactic Champion For Loose Code Tightening and Tight Code Loosening"

"The Almighty Ruler of {*word*216}ly Burrs.
 Where our motto is:
  Amaze your friends, annoy your dog, cause your Aunt
  to actually SAY the S word. Watch stores near you for
  our new line of designer burrs. Why walk through the
  woods when you can have our upscale, hand-crafted,
  semi-intelligent little balls of spinal terror rolling
  around YOUR house looking for unsuspecting relatives and
  pets."

"The chief strength of the ancient Greeks lay in their
 freedom from hampering intellectual tradition. They had
 no venerated classics, no holy books, no dead languages
 to master, no authorities to check their free
 speculation." (James Harvey Robinson - American Historian)

"Ancora imparo.
 I am still learning." (Michelangelo-Buonarroti - Florentine artist)

TINSTAAFL: There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
  (variation on motto of the moon colony from Robert A. Heinlein)

Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament - it is possible to be both.
How? By never taking an unnecessary chance and by minimizing risks you
can't avoid. This permits you to play out the game happily, untroubled
by the certainty of the outcome.
  - Robert A. Heinlein (a.k.a. Lazarus Long)

EMail: al...@emi.net
  Web: http://www.emi.net/~allenms

Other Threads