Numeric data types, which one???

Sybase ASA 8.02 (4227) on linux
Delphi 5 Pro
NativeDB componants

What is the best data type for a column that will contain values anywhere from
0.0001 up to 1.9999, and another column that will contain values from 0.0000
up to 999.9999 ???

I have each defined as numeric (12,4) now. Is that correct?

What convertion function should I use when importing this data? It comes in as
a text comma delim file so the values start out in life as a string. ie.
"0.1923" Given that I've seen a lot of negative comments on using data type
"float" when accuracy is required, what other conversion function is there
besides StrToFloat() ????

- Gary

Re:Numeric data types, which one???

I think you could you both REAL or FLOAT
TL
"Gary MacKay" <g...@edisoninfo.com> wrote in message

> Sybase ASA 8.02 (4227) on linux
> Delphi 5 Pro
> NativeDB componants

> What is the best data type for a column that will contain values anywhere
from
> 0.0001 up to 1.9999, and another column that will contain values from
0.0000
> up to 999.9999 ???

> I have each defined as numeric (12,4) now. Is that correct?

> What convertion function should I use when importing this data? It comes
in as
> a text comma delim file so the values start out in life as a string. ie.
> "0.1923" Given that I've seen a lot of negative comments on using data
type
> "float" when accuracy is required, what other conversion function is there
> besides StrToFloat() ????

> - Gary

Other Threads