BDE replacement for Dbase III access?

Hello

I need a way to access a Dbase 3 database without installing the BDE.  Way
over kill in the small appllication I'm working on.  It simply does data
logging.  So I'm looking for a third party component to compile into the exe
to do this, hopefully $100 range or less.  I would also like it to be
multiuser even though I don't need it at this point.

http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/listbytype.html

I was looking at the BDE alternatives page and noticed a couple products
that did not look to bad.  Halycon and Topaz.

They both seem to work Ok in the simple apps I've tried them with.  Although
the Halycon Delphi 4 demo was missing a resource file preventing it from
compiling.  I found it in CBuilder 3 demo zip to get it to work.  The Topaz
package does not seem to come with an online help file which I don't like.
It does seem to have a very good manual which Halycon does not.  What really
concerns me is if they will updated for D5.

Any suggestions on these components or any others?

Thanks

Matthew

Re:BDE replacement for Dbase III access?

Matthew, I use Apollo it's a very good BDE replacement and tech support is
very good.  If you have a problem there on top of it right away.

You can find out more about Apollo at : http://www.VistaSoftware.com

P.S. been using there products for many years with Clipper and now Delphi.

All Best
Will

Matthew H <matthNOSPAM...@iname.com> wrote in message

> Hello

> I need a way to access a Dbase 3 database without installing the BDE.  Way
> over kill in the small appllication I'm working on.  It simply does data
> logging.  So I'm looking for a third party component to compile into the
exe
> to do this, hopefully $100 range or less.  I would also like it to be
> multiuser even though I don't need it at this point.

> http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/listbytype.html

> I was looking at the BDE alternatives page and noticed a couple products
> that did not look to bad.  Halycon and Topaz.

> They both seem to work Ok in the simple apps I've tried them with.
Although
> the Halycon Delphi 4 demo was missing a resource file preventing it from
> compiling.  I found it in CBuilder 3 demo zip to get it to work.  The
Topaz
> package does not seem to come with an online help file which I don't like.
> It does seem to have a very good manual which Halycon does not.  What
really
> concerns me is if they will updated for D5.

> Any suggestions on these components or any others?

> Thanks

> Matthew

Re:BDE replacement for Dbase III access?

I looked at Halcyon and Topaz about a year ago, and chose Halcyon. I
think the reason was that Halcyon supported an index type that I needed
for compatibility with Paradox, and Topaz didn't support that index
type. If you don't have a detailed requirement like that, you can
probably do what you want with either product.

  Richard

Matthew H wrote:

> Hello

> I need a way to access a Dbase 3 database without installing the BDE.  Way
> over kill in the small appllication I'm working on.  It simply does data
> logging.  So I'm looking for a third party component to compile into the exe
> to do this, hopefully $100 range or less.  I would also like it to be
> multiuser even though I don't need it at this point.

> http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/listbytype.html

> I was looking at the BDE alternatives page and noticed a couple products
> that did not look to bad.  Halycon and Topaz.

> They both seem to work Ok in the simple apps I've tried them with.  Although
> the Halycon Delphi 4 demo was missing a resource file preventing it from
> compiling.  I found it in CBuilder 3 demo zip to get it to work.  The Topaz
> package does not seem to come with an online help file which I don't like.
> It does seem to have a very good manual which Halycon does not.  What really
> concerns me is if they will updated for D5.

> Any suggestions on these components or any others?

> Thanks

> Matthew

Re:BDE replacement for Dbase III access?

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:34:55 -0500, "Matthew H"

<matthNOSPAM...@iname.com> wrote:
>I need a way to access a Dbase 3 database without installing the BDE.  Way
>over kill in the small appllication I'm working on.  It simply does data
>logging.  So I'm looking for a third party component to compile into the exe
>to do this, hopefully $100 range or less.  I would also like it to be
>multiuser even though I don't need it at this point.

If you don't need index or memo field support, there are also a few
freeware dBase III components on DSP:
  http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi

Jan

Other Threads