Running a small database app on Novell Network

I am making a small database application that keeps tracks on incoming and
outgoing calls. All information is stored on a network drive in a single
table (paradox 7).
There are three users that has the .exe installed on their computer. But
only one user is allowed to start the program. If one user has the program
up, the others will receive an error stating that "directory controlled by
other .net file" when trying to start theirs. What could be wrong?

All replies greatly apreciated!!!!!

Re:Running a small database app on Novell Network

> There are three users that has the .exe installed on their computer. But
> only one user is allowed to start the program. If one user has the program
> up, the others will receive an error stating that "directory controlled by
> other .net file" when trying to start theirs. What could be wrong?

The different users are using different copies of the bde files. When you use Paradox
or DBase tables you are also using a system of database programs called the "borland
database engine" (bde).  These programs work with you application to control the flow
of date to & from your users's desktiops.

In order for these tools to work, the bde needs to utilize a ".net" file to maintain
file information (locking, etc). Use the bde administration utilities (bdeadmin.exe in
the newest versions) to make sure that the .net file is where you think it is (config
/drivers). Also make sure that all users are accessing the same version of the bde.
These are registry setting & there used to be a nifty delphi application on the
Borland web site to assist with this.

good luck

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

On 22 May 1998 14:06:46 GMT, "Niils Jooch" <nii...@tetra.ne> wrote:

>I am making a small database application that keeps tracks on incoming and
>outgoing calls. All information is stored on a network drive in a single
>table (paradox 7).
>There are three users that has the .exe installed on their computer. But
>only one user is allowed to start the program. If one user has the program
>up, the others will receive an error stating that "directory controlled by
>other .net file" when trying to start theirs. What could be wrong?

>All replies greatly apreciated!!!!!

Make sure that you delete other .NET files on the network drive and
check your BDE configuration.

Re:Running a small database app on Novell Network

You must set the NetDir parameter of the Paradox driver to the same path on
all machines using the BDE Administrator.  See TI2989 at
www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list for details.

--
Bill