Turn off Pcspeaker

Hello!

Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?

Please mail me an answer at e-mail : knor...@telepost.no

Sincerely,
Kenneth

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

Kenneth Nordum wrote:

> Hello!

> Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?

No.  It's not.  There is no purpose to the nosound function.  You are going to
be cursed with hearing your never-ending tone for the rest of your life.

That was sarcastic btw.  hehe :)  To turn off the speaker from within your
program, just call the nosound function (I'm assuming you're having trouble
turning the speaker off after you do something line sound(440)).  If you mean
turn it off entirely, here's what you do:

1. Open your case
2. Trace the wires from your speaker to your motherboard
3. Pull the plug
4. Close the case again

If that's too drastic a measure for you, I suppose that there would be a way
to reprogram the PIT (Programmable Interval Timer), which is what generates
the actual sound, in order to turn it off.  It's by reprogramming the PIT
that people can fake digital sound through the PC Speaker, and so simply
running a program which sets channel 2 to mode 1 (which is supposedly non-
functional on the PC, and even if it were functional that would make it do
at most a little pop sound).  Here is the code you would need for that:

port[$43] := $82; {10000010b, i.e. channel 2, mode 1}

That should be just about it.  However, I'm not sure if that'll work, since
I'm just reading the PIT.TXT from the PCGPE right now for this information.

In order to turn the speaker back on after doing that, use this code:

port[$43] := $86; {10000110b, i.e. channel 2, mode 3}

Of course, these two little mini-programs should just be done in .COM files,
since making them in TP would waste about 1.4k :)
Quantum Porcupine             | "Whoever got the idea to drink milk? I mean,
a.k.a. Joshua Shagam          | who was the first farmer to say 'I think I'll
mailto:JSha...@nmsu.edu       | squeeze these and drink the first thing that
http://web.nmsu.edu/~jshagam  | comes out?'"             -- Calvin

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

Kenneth Nordum wrote:

> Hello!

> Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker?

Preferred choice : CUT THAT CABLE ! ;-)

If you really need your speaker and want to program a TSR to make it
silent, you should hook into the timer interrupt and continously send
a nosound. This will reduce ugly beeps to short ticks. It will NOT help
with programs which directly program the speaker to turn it on and off
at a high rate (lot's of games do).

--
   __/  __/   -  Christian Froeschlin
  /    /

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

Kenneth Nordum wrote:

> Hello!

> Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker?

Anythings possible (well almost). I'm not aware of any pascal routine
which turns off the pc-speaker, but I'm sure one exists. HOWEVER there
is another possible solution. Most people who want to turn off their
pc-speakers have a sound card and speakers. If that is the case, then
one can send the sound data to the sound card. The sound is then heard
from the sound card speakers, making it a bit more bearable. One could
then also simply turn off the speakers (or just tweak the volume a bit).
As far as I know, however, one would have to open the computer and take
the wire going to the pc speaker from the motherboard and stick it on
the sound card (check your sound card manual - it will tell you where to
put it - just make sure you don't take the power supply).

                                Hope that helps,

                                        Krister

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

Why not make it a three some.  Without going inside the computer and
disconnecting the speaker, how can I disable it otherwise.

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

I'm adding my "ME TOO!" to this.

Thanks!
hne...@ac.net

knor...@telepost.no (Kenneth Nordum) wrote:
>Hello!
>Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?
>Please mail me an answer at e-mail : knor...@telepost.no
>Sincerely,
>Kenneth

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

In article <4iq82s$...@primus.ac.net> hne...@ac.net (Jack Neely) writes:
>I'm adding my "ME TOO!" to this.
>Thanks!
>hne...@ac.net
>knor...@telepost.no (Kenneth Nordum) wrote:
>>Hello!
>>Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?

Very simple.  Take a small pair of needle-nose pliers and carefully clip the
wires leading to the "damned speaker."  If you are in slightly more of a Radio
Shack mood, wire a small potentiometer ("volume knob") into the circuit and
drill a small hole through the plastic computer-case.  Voila... a custom
modification that everyone wants and no computer-maker ever seems to want to
spend six cents a unit to provide.  :-/

/mr/

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

knor...@telepost.no (Kenneth Nordum) wrote:
>Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?

        There is a TSR program called SILENCE that does exactly what a
previous responder suggested (hook the timer interrupt and continually
silence the speaker, reducing tones to blips).  It can be found at
garbo, try pub/pc/sysutil (or maybe miscutil?).

Re:Turn off Pcspeaker

In article <4j7um6$...@skivs.ski.org>,
Bart Duncan <bdun...@delta.is.tcu.edu> wrote:
:knor...@telepost.no (Kenneth Nordum) wrote:

:>Is there anyone who know if it's possible to turn of the Pc speaker? And how?
:       There is a TSR program called SILENCE that does exactly what a
:previous responder suggested (hook the timer interrupt and continually
:silence the speaker, reducing tones to blips).  It can be found at
:garbo, try pub/pc/sysutil (or maybe miscutil?).

 3027 Dec 31 1984 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/sysutil/silence.arc
 silence.arc Turns the speaker off (low actually) (no documents)

 9689 Feb 1 20:45 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/tsr/mute110.zip
 mute110.zip TSR that mutes the PC speaker beeps, V.Penquerc'h

   All the best, Timo

t...@uwasa.fi http://uwasa.fi/~ts BBS 961-3170972; FIN-65101,  Finland

Other Threads