background application with D4

I would like to execute background applications like Excel or Word, but want
to hide them;
I now use the old WinExec I found in Delphi 1, but can't manage to hide the
apps; the switch
SW_HIDE instead of SW_SHOWNORMAL causes the app to hang.

Is it a new instruction to do that?

TIA.

Re:background application with D4

You can't hide them, but you can show them minimized with
SW_SHOWMINNOACTIVE.

"Philippe Bruyre" <bruyerenos...@sia.ucl.ac.be> wrote in message

> I would like to execute background applications like Excel or Word, but
want
> to hide them;
> I now use the old WinExec I found in Delphi 1, but can't manage to hide
the
> apps; the switch
> SW_HIDE instead of SW_SHOWNORMAL causes the app to hang.

> Is it a new instruction to do that?

> TIA.

Re:background application with D4

Hi Philippe,

>I would like to execute background applications like Excel or Word, but want
>to hide them;
>I now use the old WinExec I found in Delphi 1, but can't manage to hide the
>apps; the switch
>SW_HIDE instead of SW_SHOWNORMAL causes the app to hang.

>Is it a new instruction to do that?

ShellExecute or CreateProcess -> help files

Cheers,
   Udo
--
Homepage: http://www.nesshoever.de            No mails please. Reply here.

Delphi env.:                         Global Polio Awareness Campaign 2001+
W2K.sp2, D6Pro & D4Pro.sp3               More info -> http://www.2-mad.com

Re:background application with D4

"Philippe Bruyre" <bruyerenos...@sia.ucl.ac.be> skrev i melding

> I would like to execute background applications like Excel or Word, but
want
> to hide them;
> I now use the old WinExec I found in Delphi 1, but can't manage to hide the
> apps; the switch
> SW_HIDE instead of SW_SHOWNORMAL causes the app to hang.

> Is it a new instruction to do that?

You forgot to mention what you intend to do to the applications - pass
commandline parameters, use DDE or OLE/COM to "talk" to them...??

--
Bjoerge Saether
Consultant / Developer

Re:background application with D4

> You forgot to mention what you intend to do to the applications - pass
> commandline parameters, use DDE or OLE/COM to "talk" to them...??

I just call Word (could be Word Pro, WordPerfect etc) with a filename that
contains a macro AutoOpen; the macro build a complete document
applying styles etc
(more than 10 pages, not always the same, from a text file build from
hundreds
of variables in my app)
As I have poor knowledges about OLE, that was a very simple and efficient
way
to get nice documents.

Other Threads