Newbie ADO question - Oracle & ADO

Hi,

I assumed DCOM and MDAC were all I needed to create an application that
connects to an Oracle (8) database using the ADO components. I knew
there was one thing to find out, namely how to get the app running on a
client machine without the Oracle Client Software installed. I thought
ADO would take care of all database interactions (and that all I had to
do was to provide ADO with the information needed to locate the
database), but from  MSOrclOLEDBreadme.txt (in ...\Program Files\Common
Files\system\ole db) I understand I also need to install the Oracle
Client Software on each client machine. Is that correct? Or is life
simpler than that?

Thanks,
Andr Rosendaal

Re:Newbie ADO question - Oracle & ADO

Andr Rosendaal <an...@let.rug.nl> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I assumed DCOM and MDAC were all I needed to create an application that
> connects to an Oracle (8) database using the ADO components. I knew
> there was one thing to find out, namely how to get the app running on a
> client machine without the Oracle Client Software installed. I thought
> ADO would take care of all database interactions (and that all I had to
> do was to provide ADO with the information needed to locate the
> database), but from  MSOrclOLEDBreadme.txt (in ...\Program Files\Common
> Files\system\ole db) I understand I also need to install the Oracle
> Client Software on each client machine. Is that correct? Or is life
> simpler than that?

> Thanks,
> Andr Rosendaal

If only it were that simple. The thing is that ADO gives you a "standard"
interface to various DB drivers, so you still need the Client software to
allow ADO/OLEDB to talk to the DB Engine.

Other Threads