Delphi w/ Windows 95 or NT 4.0

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

Up til now, I've been using Delphi (16-bit) with Windows 3.1 for
development. However, I am planning to purchase a new computer soon,
and the only options I have for an operation system are Windows 95
or Windows NT 4.0.  (I've hesitated upgrading from Windows 3.1 until
now since we still use it at work.)

My question is this: Will I still be able to use the 16-bit
version of Delphi under either Windows 95 or NT 4.0?  Or, will I have
to upgrade to Delphi 2.0? My target platform will still be 16-bit
Windows 3.1 for the forseeable future.

I'm currently leaning toward Win NT rather than Win 95 because
of  stability reasons.  Is this a good choice?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Craig

P.S.  In general, will I be able to run old Windows 3.1 and
      DOS apps under Windows NT 4.0 without too much difficulty?

Craig Jackson               "No matter how great your triumphs or how
cjack...@cmsa.gmr.com        tragic your defeats -- Approximately one
billion
Electronic Data Systems      Chinese couldn't care less."    -  Lazlo

Re:Delphi w/ Windows 95 or NT 4.0

Craig Jackson wrote:
>I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

>Up til now, I've been using Delphi (16-bit) with Windows 3.1 for
>development. However, I am planning to purchase a new computer soon,
>and the only options I have for an operation system are Windows 95
>or Windows NT 4.0.  (I've hesitated upgrading from Windows 3.1 until
>now since we still use it at work.)

>My question is this: Will I still be able to use the 16-bit
>version of Delphi under either Windows 95 or NT 4.0?  Or, will I have
>to upgrade to Delphi 2.0? My target platform will still be 16-bit
>Windows 3.1 for the forseeable future.

  If possible, keep around your old machine.  The boss lets me keep around
three machines, WfWg 3.11, WfWg 3.11/Win95 dual boot, and Win95.  The Win95
is for Delphi 1 and 2 development, the dual boot machine is to be sure apps
work alright, and the WfWg 3.11 on a 386 with 8MB RAM is to be really,
really sure about Delphi 1 apps.  :-\

Paul Rice

Craig Jackson wrote:

> Greetings,

> I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

> Up til now, I've been using Delphi (16-bit) with Windows 3.1 for
> development. However, I am planning to purchase a new computer soon,
> and the only options I have for an operation system are Windows 95
> or Windows NT 4.0.  (I've hesitated upgrading from Windows 3.1 until
> now since we still use it at work.)

> My question is this: Will I still be able to use the 16-bit
> version of Delphi under either Windows 95 or NT 4.0?  Or, will I have
> to upgrade to Delphi 2.0? My target platform will still be 16-bit
> Windows 3.1 for the forseeable future.

> I'm currently leaning toward Win NT rather than Win 95 because
> of  stability reasons.  Is this a good choice?

> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
>   Craig

> P.S.  In general, will I be able to run old Windows 3.1 and
>       DOS apps under Windows NT 4.0 without too much difficulty?

You can use the 16 bit Delphi on both Windows 95 and NT 4.0.
You should chose Windows 95 if you are running 16 bit windows and some
DOS programs.
On NT 4.0 16 bit is not too good, sometimes it just craches everything
running 16 bit, but 32 but goes on.
In generel you can use a very limited number of DOS programs on NT 4.0.
DOS is not supported as it is on Windows 95.

Peter

Craig Jackson <cjack...@cmsa.gmr.com> wrote in article
<327FAC8F.2...@cmsa.gmr.com>...

> Greetings,

> I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

Probably :-)

[...]

> My question is this: Will I still be able to use the 16-bit
> version of Delphi under either Windows 95 or NT 4.0?  Or, will I have
> to upgrade to Delphi 2.0? My target platform will still be 16-bit
> Windows 3.1 for the forseeable future.

No problem. You can use Delphi 1.0 under NT and 95.

> I'm currently leaning toward Win NT rather than Win 95 because
> of  stability reasons.  Is this a good choice?

Most definately. You will probably have 32M of RAM on your
computer (being a developer, and the current price of RAM,
I recommend it anyway) and will therefore also experience
a nice performance boost in NT compared to Win95.

If you develop 16 bit apps on NT, you are also creating apps
that will run on more hardware. Win3 and Win95 is much more
forgiving to bad applications than NT is, and you will often run
into problems with an app running on one computer and not
on another when developing under Win3 and 95.

If you use NT 4, you will get the new shell. This can in fact
be a problem. You will not see how the apps look on the
Win3 interface. You can solve that - see below.

You will probably have a large HD. Having a 1G disk on Win95
is a waste, since 95 has a tendancy to fill the disk A LOT faster
than NT. Minimum file-size can (on large disks) easily become
32K.

> P.S.  In general, will I be able to run old Windows 3.1 and
>       DOS apps under Windows NT 4.0 without too much difficulty?

When developing apps for one specific OS, you should
ALWAYS test the app on that OS before deployment. So
basically, you should have a DOS/Win3 computer around
anyway. How do you do that? Use dual boot.

When you get the new computer, install DOS and Win3
on one partition, and WinNT on another. Then you can
switch between them. NT will be able to read and write
to your DOS disk, but DOS/Win will not be able to see
your NT disk (if you format it with NTFS - which you
should do).

--- Terje : t.berge...@shell.no    - I speak only for ME.
---
--- <!--#include virtual="/docs/std/disclaimer.txt" -->

Re:Delphi w/ Windows 95 or NT 4.0

Peter Q. Nielsen <p...@kmd.dk> wrote in article <32809831.1...@kmd.dk>...

> You can use the 16 bit Delphi on both Windows 95 and NT 4.0.
> You should chose Windows 95 if you are running 16 bit windows and some
> DOS programs.
> On NT 4.0 16 bit is not too good, sometimes it just craches everything
> running 16 bit, but 32 but goes on.

So does on W95, with one difference however: in NT you can run 16-bit apps
in separate virtual machines - when your app crashes, the rest is
unaffected. Sure it takes more memory, but at least you have the option.
Actually I find D2 going down under NT4 more often than D1.

> In generel you can use a very limited number of DOS programs on NT 4.0.
> DOS is not supported as it is on Windows 95.

You mean - games?
I still have a bunch of DOS programs that run quite happily under NT4, if
you're careful about the filenames. They're slower than under W95, but they
run.

---------
Craig:

You may find a couple of surprises here and there, but generally you will
find 16-bit programs running quite happily under both W95 and NT4.
My recommendation would be to go NT if you can afford at least 32MB RAM,
otherwise stick with W95. With less RAM NT can be unbearably slow.
If you haven't decided on the exact hardware yet, make sure that you will
find the necessary hardware drivers - this is more of a problem under NT4
which is quite fresh and more fussy. For the time being there's not much
available apart from the drivers provided with the system (which is much
less than under W95).

HTH
Peter Szymiczek

In article <32809831.1...@kmd.dk>, "Peter Q. Nielsen" <p...@kmd.dk> wrote:

>Craig Jackson wrote:

>> Greetings,
>> I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
>> My question is this: Will I still be able to use the 16-bit
>> version of Delphi under either Windows 95 or NT 4.0?  Or, will I have
>> to upgrade to Delphi 2.0? My target platform will still be 16-bit
>> Windows 3.1 for the forseeable future.
>> I'm currently leaning toward Win NT rather than Win 95 because
>> of  stability reasons.  Is this a good choice?
>You can use the 16 bit Delphi on both Windows 95 and NT 4.0.

>You should chose Windows 95 if you are running 16 bit windows and some
>DOS programs.
>On NT 4.0 16 bit is not too good, sometimes it just craches everything
>running 16 bit, but 32 but goes on.
>In generel you can use a very limited number of DOS programs on NT 4.0.
>DOS is not supported as it is on Windows 95.

I'm not sure what you mean here by DOS is not supported as it is on Windows
95?? I've been able to run every DOS program I own in NT 4.0. What NT does
not allow is any direct hardware I/O which many games use. I've been using it
since Beta1 (about 7 months ago maybe) and have had a few minor problems
related to other things (annoying CD-ROM bug w/ my IDE 8x player) but on the
whole NT 4.0 while slightly slower than Win95 is pretty darn bomb-proof on my
system. However, I still have Win95 installed to test apps under different
OS's and also still have DOS 6.22/Win3.11 installed as well.

On the original note both D1 and D2 will run without any problems in both
Win95 and Win NT4.0.

BTW, If you have 16MB or less RAM then go with Win95, you'll probably want at
least 32 to run NT with good performance. And if your going to install both
and keep 3.11 installed, get System Commander - I don't know why I had
multiple OS's installed so long without it. It really makes switching configs
easy and handles all these OS's.

Hope it helps.
Peter.

* Peter G. Millard      ******************* Maintainer of the VB        *