Hard Drive Serial numbers

FA wrote:

> >A better suggestion (probably the best) is to not use a harddrive's
> >serial number, but instead use the BIOS serial number which is on the
> >motherboard, and can be read on nearly all computers.

> Hi.
> And what are the solutions in TP7 for reading BIOS serial number ?
> FA.

You could create you own specially named file with ascii value > 128
and then store your own "Serial Numbers" in it, to keep prying
eyes out set the system and hidden bits.
This is probably the easyest solution.

Re:Hard Drive Serial numbers

Jeff Patterson wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Louis Beyer wrote:

> > Does any body have info or tp7 code to get the hard drive serial
> > number?? Not the one that changes after format, but the hardware serial
> > number that is uniqe to itself <even after fdisk or format>.  I need to
> > be able to tell 14 computers apart.

> The only way I know of to get a harddrive Serial number is to take the
> harddrive out of the computer and looking at the number on the label.

IDE drives have unique serial numbers burned into the ROM which can be
read by software (I posted a link to one source listing earlier in this
thread).

> Why couldn't you use the volume serial number?  There is a program out
> called VASN that allows you to set a volume label's serial number to any
> hex digit you which (if you are worried about the harddrive being
> reformatted (how often would anyone expect that to happen?)).

In the case of security and tracking systems, Volume serial numbers
aren't secure.  It's easily modified with a sector editor, and source is
readily available to modify it without a sector editor.  When you have
multiple partitions, each partition has its own volume number, which
repartitioning will also blow away.

> A better suggestion (probably the best) is to not use a harddrive's
> serial number, but instead use the BIOS serial number which is on the
> motherboard, and can be read on nearly all computers.

How is this done?  I've heard talk of this, and since it's usually
displayed on the screen at boot-up, there should be some way to
accomplish it.  Any pointers, URLs, etc., that might provide some leads
on this?

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Louis Beyer wrote:

> Does any body have info or tp7 code to get the hard drive serial
> number?? Not the one that changes after format, but the hardware serial
> number that is uniqe to itself <even after fdisk or format>.  I need to
> be able to tell 14 computers apart.

>                 Thanks,
>                         Louis Beyer

Hi Louis,

just a couple of weeks ago we had this discussion after just the
same question of mine and some people were kind enough to explain
it.
I've tested it in PM and RM and it works fine. If you're interested
I'll email you the source code.

Bernd

Re:Hard Drive Serial numbers

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Louis Beyer wrote:
> Does any body have info or tp7 code to get the hard drive serial
> number?? Not the one that changes after format, but the hardware serial
> number that is uniqe to itself <even after fdisk or format>.  I need to
> be able to tell 14 computers apart.

The only way I know of to get a harddrive Serial number is to take the
harddrive out of the computer and looking at the number on the label.

Why couldn't you use the volume serial number?  There is a program out
called VASN that allows you to set a volume label's serial number to any
hex digit you which (if you are worried about the harddrive being
reformatted (how often would anyone expect that to happen?)).

A better suggestion (probably the best) is to not use a harddrive's
serial number, but instead use the BIOS serial number which is on the
motherboard, and can be read on nearly all computers.

--
 Jeff Patterson                       Internet: aa...@fan.nb.ca
  Author of jpIRC DOS IRC Client        PGPKey: pgp-public-k...@keys.pgp.net
| HomePage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7104/               |
| PGP Info: 2048/A8A1DCD5 : E0 9E 9B EF C8 E4 68 3D  B5 9C 72 4C EC 61 DD 7A |

Other Threads