Board index » delphi » TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes

TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes

Yes!  Paradox tables can be shared reliably by dozens of users!

[1] LOCAL SHARE = TRUE
Every computer that uses Paradox should have this setting.  If files are
on a server and Paradox can be run by the local user of that server, be
sure the setting is also made on that computer too!

[2] NET FILE DIR
Same for every machine.  The only variation that's okay is that the file
letter (e.g. "Q:") may be different.

[3] ALIASES
Your application should use aliases to fix the location of any table;
not a direct path.  Check explicitly to be sure that all expected
aliases do exist.  Also check to make sure those paths are accessible.
(An application-startup SSL-file can do this kind of thing.)

[4] PERMISSIONS
Users must have read/write/create/delete permission to the NET FILE DIR
-and- to the database directories.

[5] WINDOWS VERSIONS
Make them fairly recent and most of all, make them consistent.  

[6] DON'T MIX 16-BIT AND 32-BIT PARADOX
Not recommended anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)

Quote
> Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

 

Re:TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes


Quote
> [3] ALIASES
> Your application should use aliases to fix the location of any table;
> not a direct path.  Check explicitly to be sure that all expected
> aliases do exist.  Also check to make sure those paths are accessible.
> (An application-startup SSL-file can do this kind of thing.)

Thanks, Sundial. Your messages are informative as usual. In my rather huge
app, I have used paths rather than aliases. Could you tell me the
consequences of doing so? Is it a matter of resource management? How does it
increase the incidence of corruption? (pretty rare in my app, but it
happens).

Thanks,

John Bleau

Re:TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes


Actually, the documented limit is 300 simultaneous users in the same
NET file, though I've personally seen more than 650 happy connections
going on at once.  (Note to network admins: make sure your packet
buffer cache sizes are reasonably sized).

-- Lance

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:54:26 -0700, Sundial Services

Quote
<info_...@sundialservices.com> wrote:
>Yes!  Paradox tables can be shared reliably by dozens of users!

Re:TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes


I'm not sure, but.... when they say 300 simultaneous users... isn't that
being a little misleading?

Shouldn't it be 300 concurrent sessions?

....and if that's true.... doesn't a single user usually use up more then a
single session?  So the actual realistic user count would be less then 300.

Just think'n here.... I could be all wrong... you know, it's that stink'n
think'n that gets you into trouble.

Rodney

Re:TechTips: Common Paradox-table sharing mistakes


I think the most users I've seen actually connected to a database is
about 45.  That is not to imply that it could not have supported more.
The company in question did all their dispatching with that product,
while endlessly plotting with other vendors to replace it.  Meanwhile
Paradox chugged along, month upon month upon year.

Quote
>Rodney Wise wrote:

> I'm not sure, but.... when they say 300 simultaneous users... isn't that
> being a little misleading?

> Shouldn't it be 300 concurrent sessions?

> ....and if that's true.... doesn't a single user usually use up more then a
> single session?  So the actual realistic user count would be less then 300.

> Just think'n here.... I could be all wrong... you know, it's that stink'n
> think'n that gets you into trouble.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
Quote
> Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!
> http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Other Threads