Turbo Pascal for Win 1.5 question

Does anyone know if applications wrote in TPW ver 1.5 can be compilied
and ran in Delphi?  I want to move my win 3.1 program in pascal to a
32bit pascal for windows.

Thanks
  Nick Widboom
  widb...@ssu.southwest.msus.edu

Re:Turbo Pascal for Win 1.5 question

Nick Widboom (widb...@ssu.southwest.msus.edu) wrote:

: Does anyone know if applications wrote in TPW ver 1.5 can be compilied
: and ran in Delphi?

Yes, but it won't be easy. You will need to convert all your dialogs to
Delphi forms, and you will not be able to use OWL at all (at least not under
32-bit Delphi), so you will have to rewrite a lot of your code to use the
Delphi VCL instead. The two (OWL and VCL) are not compatible at all, so if
your application is a big one, you will have a major rewrite on your hands.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.01 for Win16 and Win32:
  Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
  http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief401.zip

Re:Turbo Pascal for Win 1.5 question

Not if you write "generic" windows apps that avoid ObjectWindows
and/or the VCL. You have to be carefull with the Windows API
paramaters and some other things when changing from the 16 to 32 bit
environment but most of that is just straight forward drudgery.

With all the problems I've seen monitoring these "Borland" newsgroups,
I'm glad I took the effort to learn how to do things at the Win API
level first. I really like Delphi's VCL but when it SCRE?SUP, I'm glad
I can throw it out and do it myself using the Windows API calls
directly.

THE ONLY THING THAT PIS??ES ME OFF ABOUT DELPHI is the lack of the
tools that were very usefull in previous environments (BP7.0 PRO
especially). e.g.

1 : The stand-alone de{*word*81}. I've always run dual monitors since
their de{*word*81} came out (the IDE de{*word*81} doesn't do this). The older
versions don't "understand" the new linker (a slightly lesser pis?
off). I bought C++ version 5.0 just to get this, I've yet to install
the rest of the package.

2 : I want a 32 bit  Resource WorkShop, ImageEdit just doesn't cut it.
Delphi includes no "resources" visual design environment and instead
you must hand code many resource types and compile them with the
command line resource compiler. I use the 16 bit RW version (from
BP7.0) to design most of it, save the RC file, add what I want and
then use the 32 bit command line compiler to get 32 bit resources. Not
elegant but at least I have full control. I don't know if a 32 bit
Resource Workshop is even available.

 On 27 Oct 1997 15:14:43 GMT, la...@cc.keele.ac.uk (A.A. Olowofoyeku)
wrote:

>Nick Widboom (widb...@ssu.southwest.msus.edu) wrote:
>: Does anyone know if applications wrote in TPW ver 1.5 can be compilied
>: and ran in Delphi?

>snipped

>Best regards, The Chief
>--------
>Dr. A{*word*73}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
>Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
>Author of: Chief's Installer Pro 4.01 for Win16 and Win32:
>  Winner of PC PLUS Magazine Gold Award (April 1995 U.K. edition)
>  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
>  http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief401.zip

Other Threads