Help : ODBC - Delphi 1 -Access - Cannot edit record changed by another user-

Hi,

I am really at my wits end with this problem, I am using an ODBC connection to
ACCESS 2.0 for Office, and I keep on getting a message that says something
to the effect of :
"cannot edit record becuase it was changed by another user", this is on a
standalone machine, Win95, Only Delphi running.

Please help me if possible, e-mail if possible,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
JJ

Re:Help : ODBC - Delphi 1 -Access - Cannot edit record changed by another user-

In article <4uqam6$...@newnews.iafrica.com>, j...@iafrica.com says...

>Hi,

>I am really at my wits end with this problem, I am using an ODBC connection to
>ACCESS 2.0 for Office, and I keep on getting a message that says something
>to the effect of :
>"cannot edit record becuase it was changed by another user", this is on a
>standalone machine, Win95, Only Delphi running.

>Please help me if possible, e-mail if possible,
>it would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanx,
>JJ

I am also using the ODBC under the same circumstances as you and have not
encountered this particular problem. Have you tried opening the database
exclusively? Obviously the engine thinks there is another instance of the
DB open and is trying to lock the record you're on...

Re:Help : ODBC - Delphi 1 -Access - Cannot edit record changed by another user-

Hi JJ,

You wrote:
> I am really at my wits end with this problem, I am using an ODBC connection to
> ACCESS 2.0 for Office, and I keep on getting a message that says something
> to the effect of :
> "cannot edit record becuase it was changed by another user", this is on a
> standalone machine, Win95, Only Delphi running.

> Please help me if possible, e-mail if possible,
> it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered using *another* access method??  We wrote
ODBCExpress (a BDE replacement), which provides straightforward but
BLINDING access to ODBC datasources.

check it out at http://www.adam.co.za if you're interested...

The 16bit version is freeware while the 32bit is shareware.

Regards,

Rob
--
Rob McGillivray
Manager, Client/Server Software Development

JJ wrote:

> Hi,

> I am really at my wits end with this problem, I am using an ODBC connection to
> ACCESS 2.0 for Office, and I keep on getting a message that says something
> to the effect of :
> "cannot edit record becuase it was changed by another user", this is on a
> standalone machine, Win95, Only Delphi running.

> Please help me if possible, e-mail if possible,
> it would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanx,
> JJ

This may be caused by the BDE not completely supporting an ODBC or Access
datatype.  If you are using Access's "Currency" type as a TFloatfield in Delphi,
the internal representations may not agree in the n'th decimal place.  We spent
several days banging our heads against this error.

Another possible suggestion.  Change from "UpdateWhereAll" in the query or table
to "UpdateWhereKey", which will ignore all fields except those in the (primary?)
key.

Mark Jungck
top...@u.washington.edu

Other Threads