Delphi Installation problem

When installing Delphi6, after answering all settings and getting the
dialog: "Installing Borland Delphi 6" the installation aborts with the
error: "Borland Delphi 6 Installer Information"  - "Internal Error 2755.
1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi" and prompts for OK which Aborts the
installation.
I've tried various methods of installing, including copying the install
directory to disk but it still gives the same error.
I'm running Windows 2000 SP2
Does anyone have any ideas?
--
Rgds Pete
================================

Re:Delphi Installation problem

It actually turns out that the CD was corrupt - CRC errors on another
computer.
New Delphi CD is on it's way :)
Pete

"Pete Fraser" <pete.fra...@frasersoft.co.uk> wrote in message

> When installing Delphi6, after answering all settings and getting the
> dialog: "Installing Borland Delphi 6" the installation aborts with the
> error: "Borland Delphi 6 Installer Information"  - "Internal Error 2755.
> 1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi" and prompts for OK which Aborts the
> installation.
> I've tried various methods of installing, including copying the install
> directory to disk but it still gives the same error.
> I'm running Windows 2000 SP2
> Does anyone have any ideas?
> --
> Rgds Pete
> ================================
> Home: pete.fra...@frasersoft.co.uk
> Web:   http://www.frasersoft.co.uk

Re:Delphi Installation problem

New CD arrived and had the same problem on one machine but installed OK on
another.
Machine it didn't work on was running Win2k SP1 with 128M ram, DVD drive,
plenty of disk space.
Machine it did installl on is running Win2k SP2 with 256M ram CD drive.
Could SP2/Ramspace/DVD  be the answer?

Thanks in advance for *any* help, even something which explains what the
error message means!
Pete

"Pete Fraser" <pete.dot.fraser.@.at.frasersoft.dot.co.uk> wrote in message

> It actually turns out that the CD was corrupt - CRC errors on another
> computer.
> New Delphi CD is on it's way :)
> Pete

> "Pete Fraser" <pete.fra...@frasersoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> > When installing Delphi6, after answering all settings and getting the
> > dialog: "Installing Borland Delphi 6" the installation aborts with the
> > error: "Borland Delphi 6 Installer Information"  - "Internal Error 2755.
> > 1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi" and prompts for OK which Aborts
the
> > installation.
> > I've tried various methods of installing, including copying the install
> > directory to disk but it still gives the same error.
> > I'm running Windows 2000 SP2
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> > --
> > Rgds Pete
> > ================================
> > Home: pete.fra...@frasersoft.co.uk
> > Web:   http://www.frasersoft.co.uk

Re:Delphi Installation problem

I had a simular problem.
Installing with W2k in safe mode solved my instalproblem
Bo
.
"Pete Fraser" <pete.dot.fraser.@.at.frasersoft.dot.co.uk> skrev i
meddelandet news:3b3868b1$1_2@dnews...

Pete Fraser wrote:

> Thanks in advance for *any* help, even something which explains what the
> error message means!

>>> When installing Delphi6, after answering all settings and getting the
>>> dialog: "Installing Borland Delphi 6" the installation aborts with the
>>> error: "Borland Delphi 6 Installer Information"  - "Internal Error 2755.
>>> 1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi" and prompts for OK which Aborts

The message means that the Windows Installer service encountered an
error writing to the Temp folder. Check your system environment and make
sure that both the system and user TEMP and TMP variables point to a
valid directory and that there is plenty of disk space (> 30MB) on that
drive. Also, make sure that your user has permissions to write to those
directories and that they are not marked read-only.

Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Re:Delphi Installation problem

Thanks for the reply,
Pete

"Darren Kosinski (Borland)" <nore...@borland.com> wrote in message

> Pete Fraser wrote:

> > Thanks in advance for *any* help, even something which explains what the
> > error message means!

> The message means that the Windows Installer service encountered an
> error writing to the Temp folder. Check your system environment and make
> sure that both the system and user TEMP and TMP variables point to a
> valid directory and that there is plenty of disk space (> 30MB) on that
> drive. Also, make sure that your user has permissions to write to those
> directories and that they are not marked read-only.

> Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Re:Delphi Installation problem

> > Thanks in advance for *any* help, even something which explains what the
> > error message means!

> The message means that the Windows Installer service encountered an
> error writing to the Temp folder. Check your system environment and make
> sure that both the system and user TEMP and TMP variables point to a
> valid directory and that there is plenty of disk space (> 30MB) on that
> drive. Also, make sure that your user has permissions to write to those
> directories and that they are not marked read-only.

This unfortunately isn't the problem. I've check the TEMP settings under
Control Panel - System - Advanced Tab - Environment variables and both TMP
and TEMP directories are set to C:Documents and Settings\pete\Local
Settings\Temp and I can create files/directories in there.
The System variables version of TEMP/TMP is set to C:\Winnt\temp which I can
also create files/folders in. I am logged in as a user with Admin
permissions but the same problem happened as 'Administrator'

The install program adds a log file in the first directory with contents:

Internal Error 2755. 1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi
=== Logging stopped: 26/06/2001  18:54:15 ===
It's also managed to put bdemerge.ini and borlndlm.dll in that directory.
There is unfortunately only 7.04GBytes of hard disk space left <g>

Do you have any other ideas?

Pete Fraser wrote:

> This unfortunately isn't the problem. I've check the TEMP settings under
> Control Panel - System - Advanced Tab - Environment variables and both TMP
> and TEMP directories are set to C:Documents and Settings\pete\Local
> Settings\Temp and I can create files/directories in there.
> The System variables version of TEMP/TMP is set to C:\Winnt\temp which I can
> also create files/folders in. I am logged in as a user with Admin
> permissions but the same problem happened as 'Administrator'

> The install program adds a log file in the first directory with contents:

> Internal Error 2755. 1632, E:\INSTALL\Borland Delphi 6.msi
> === Logging stopped: 26/06/2001  18:54:15 ===
> It's also managed to put bdemerge.ini and borlndlm.dll in that directory.
> There is unfortunately only 7.04GBytes of hard disk space left <g>

> Do you have any other ideas?

You may want to try generating a detailed log file by starting the
installer from the command line:

c:\winnt\system32\msiexec /L*V c:\install.log /i "e:/install/Borland
Delphi 6.msi"

That may give some other hints at the cause.

Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Re:Delphi Installation problem

Thanks, I'll give this a try

Pete Fraser wrote:
> Right, here is the logfile - sorry to everyone else as it's huge.
> There is nothing obvious from this - unless it's hidden in the noise!

In the future, please ask before making a large post like this. I would
have had you e-mail the log to me privately to avoid cluttering the
newsgroup.

At any rate, I believe this section gives some more details:

> MSI (s) (D8:28): Note: 1: 2336 2: 5 3: C:\WINNT\Installer\
> MSI (s) (D8:28): MainEngineThread is returning 1632
> MSI (c) (00:C8): Note: 1: 2755 2: 1632 3: e:\install\Borland Delphi 6.msi
> Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError
> Internal Error 2755. 1632, e:\install\Borland Delphi 6.msi
> MSI (c) (00:C8): Product: Borland Delphi 6 -- Internal Error 2755. 1632,
> e:\install\Borland Delphi 6.msi

The first line shows that error 2336 was generated before the 2755
error. According the MSI SDK, this is an error creating a temp file on
the path indicated by parameter 3 (c:\WINNT\Installer\). The result of
GetLastError is indicated by parameter 2, which is a value of 5. This is
an access denied error. Elsewhere in the log file, it indicates that MSI
has detected that you are an admin user, but you still may not have
write access to that directory. Also, the MSI service (which runs under
the System account) may not have write access permissions.

My guess is that something is wrong with the access rights to
\winnt\installer and possibly \winnt directories. Make sure that those
are set to be writable by you and by the System account.

Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Re:Delphi Installation problem

If you have what you need from that Darren, I can cancel the large post instead
of leaving it on the server for the next 30 days.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   I don't think there are any Russians
(Please do not email    And there ain't no Yanks

Re:Delphi Installation problem

Yes, that's fine Jeff.
Sorry again that it was so large, but Darren did not give a (valid) email
address.
Pete

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
> If you have what you need from that Darren, I can cancel the large post instead
> of leaving it on the server for the next 30 days.

I have all the info that I need from it. Thanks.

Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Re:Delphi Installation problem

All working now Darren, Thanks for your help.
Permissions/ownership on C:\winnt\installer was seriously messed up.
(Might be a good idea to add the installer comand line options to the
readme.txt file on future releases?)

Rgds Pete

> Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:

> > If you have what you need from that Darren, I can cancel the large post
instead
> > of leaving it on the server for the next 30 days.

> I have all the info that I need from it. Thanks.

> Darren Kosinski (Borland)

Other Threads