Delphi connection to MS SQL server via TCP/IP

I have a Delphi 1.0 application running over Novell 4.X Network with MS SQL
server as back end database.  Currently using IPX/SPX protocol to access
server.  Am trying to connect via TCP/IP and so far have been unsuccessful.
 I know I have a TCP/IP connection from workstation to server because I can
use ISQL/W configured for TCP/IP.

Have started with SQL Links and database desktop to just try to see the
server (which works on IPX/SPX machine) but can't on TCP/IP machine.

Anybody with any experience on this?

Re:Delphi connection to MS SQL server via TCP/IP

I'm not clear on your setup since MS SQL Server does not run on Novell -
only NT. Have you used the MS SQL client configuration utility to select
TCP/IP as the default protocol? Have you installed TCP/IP support w/ MS
SQL setup?

-Bryan

In article <01bbf9a2$24be73a0$3600a...@gateway.sparling.com>, "Arne Berger" <a...@sparling.com> wrote:
>SQL server is is running on NT Server hung off Novell LAN.  At the
>workstation I have TCP/IP connection to the SQL Server via ISQL/W and EM by
>using client config utility.

>Bryan Keller <br...@wco.com> wrote in article <32CCB260.2...@wco.com>...
>> I'm not clear on your setup since MS SQL Server does not run on Novell -
>> only NT. Have you used the MS SQL client configuration utility to select
>> TCP/IP as the default protocol? Have you installed TCP/IP support w/ MS
>> SQL setup?

>> -Bryan

>> Arne Berger wrote:

>> > I have a Delphi 1.0 application running over Novell 4.X Network with
>> MS SQL
>> > server as back end database.  Currently using IPX/SPX protocol to
>> access
>> > server.  Am trying to connect via TCP/IP and so far have been
>> unsuccessful.
>> >  I know I have a TCP/IP connection from workstation to server because
>> I can
>> > use ISQL/W configured for TCP/IP.

>> > Have started with SQL Links and database desktop to just try to see
>> the
>> > server (which works on IPX/SPX machine) but can't on TCP/IP machine.

>> > Anybody with any experience on this?

When you install SQL Server you have to install TCP/IP sockets. It onlys
installs named pipes by default. Use the default socket number and everything
will be fine.

Mark Koenig
Support Systems Analyst, Principle
University of Arizona
kkoe...@ccit.arizona.edu

Re:Delphi connection to MS SQL server via TCP/IP

SQL server is is running on NT Server hung off Novell LAN.  At the
workstation I have TCP/IP connection to the SQL Server via ISQL/W and EM by
using client config utility.

Bryan Keller <br...@wco.com> wrote in article <32CCB260.2...@wco.com>...

> I'm not clear on your setup since MS SQL Server does not run on Novell -
> only NT. Have you used the MS SQL client configuration utility to select
> TCP/IP as the default protocol? Have you installed TCP/IP support w/ MS
> SQL setup?

> -Bryan

> Arne Berger wrote:

> > I have a Delphi 1.0 application running over Novell 4.X Network with
> MS SQL
> > server as back end database.  Currently using IPX/SPX protocol to
> access
> > server.  Am trying to connect via TCP/IP and so far have been
> unsuccessful.
> >  I know I have a TCP/IP connection from workstation to server because
> I can
> > use ISQL/W configured for TCP/IP.

> > Have started with SQL Links and database desktop to just try to see
> the
> > server (which works on IPX/SPX machine) but can't on TCP/IP machine.

> > Anybody with any experience on this?

Other Threads