> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

I. Yeah, definately I.

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

On 23 Aug 1996 21:45:46 GMT, "Roger Layton" <rlay...@absi.com> wrote:

>> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

>I. Yeah, definately I.

and at Borland its pronounced with an 'i' also...
though 'e' is technically correct when referring to the temple...

f...@alpha.c2.org

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

"Roger Layton" <rlay...@absi.com> writes:
>> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?
>I. Yeah, definately I.

Since this is the 18th time I've seen this thread crop up, I vote for
Delph-Aaaarrrrgggggghhhh.

--
Luke Webber

* Note: The opinions expressed by Luke Webber are in no way supported *
*       by his employers, Luke Webber Consulting Services             *

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

Flux <f...@alpha.c2.org> wrote in article =
<321e7c0c.161092...@news.airmail.net>...

> On 23 Aug 1996 21:45:46 GMT, "Roger Layton" <rlay...@absi.com> wrote:
>=20
> >> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?
> >>=20

> >I. Yeah, definately I.

> and at Borland its pronounced with an 'i' also...
> though 'e' is technically correct when referring to the temple...
>=20
> f...@alpha.c2.org
>=20

As I heard, it is pronounced differently in US and in UK: 'i' in US and =
'e' in UK. Or vice versa.
But, if Borland says 'i'...

--=20
Gyula Karakas
gkara...@vamszoft.datanet.hu

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

g>As I heard, it is pronounced differently in US and in UK: 'i' in US and =
 >'e' in UK. Or vice versa.
 >But, if Borland says 'i'...

Then Borland is not British?...
---
 t SRP 2.00 #1203 t The trouble with political jokes is they get elected.

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

f...@alpha.c2.org (Flux) writes:
>On 23 Aug 1996 21:45:46 GMT, "Roger Layton" <rlay...@absi.com> wrote:
>>> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

>>I. Yeah, definately I.

>and at Borland its pronounced with an 'i' also...
>though 'e' is technically correct when referring to the temple...
>f...@alpha.c2.org

Yes. Borland seems intent on calling Delph-eye. Although, since the temple was
prounced Del-phigh [Actually, a while ago a greek said the temple was actually
prounced Del-fig or some weird syllable like that in greek], everyone I know,
including the salesman (here in Australia that is), prounounces it as Del-phigh.

It's kinda like the great debate that went on of how to prounounce Linux. In
the end, it doesn't really matter, does it? We all know what we're talking
about, which is the main thing.

--
Paul Gilbert           | p...@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Bach App Sci, Bach Eng | The opinions expressed are my own, all my own, and

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

Silvio wrote:

> smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith) wrote:
> >No flames please but:

> >Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?
> That's a really good question here in Brazil. Some people refuse to
> pronounce it like "e", saying that in USA the pronounce is like "i". But
> I prefer the "e", and so do the most. Who can help us???
>  From: smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith)
> No flames please but:
> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

Dave Nottage answered this question quite conclusively
some time ago, it is most definitly pronounced "Delphi".

Snigger.

Duncan.
Dmarg...@scomhbr3.telstra.com.au

.

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

In the Netherlands is prenounced DelFII by some and delFEE by others.

I think the mainstream is DelFII

Happy Hacking The Graphical Gnome

| Rob den Braasem    | Voice :-31-79-3531520 |
|                    | Fax   :-31-79-3513561 |
|                    | Mail  : r...@ktibv.nl  |
|                    |-----------------------+---------------------+
| KTI bv             | "I die when it's time for me to die.        |
| P.O. Box 86        | So let me live  my life the way I want to." |
| 2700 AB Zoetermeer |                                             |
| The Netherlands    |   Jimi Hendrix                              |
-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

  Who really cares how everyone pronounces it...  Delphi is pronounced with
an "I" not an "E".  (Sorry, but this is a ridiculous thread...)

Mark Williams <m...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<hP3mtMAyaEJyE...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk>...

> In article <4vs7vi$...@panther.unisys.com.br>, Silvio
> <gps...@uninet.com.br> writes
> >smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith) wrote:
> >>No flames please but:

> >>Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

> >That's a really good question here in Brazil. Some people refuse to
> >pronounce it like "e", saying that in USA the pronounce is like "i". But
> >I prefer the "e", and so do the most. Who can help us???

> I'd like to know how the french pronounce it (or the Quebecois). "i" or
> "e"?

> Mark
> Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
> Polyhedron Software Ltd.
> Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
> ************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/
************

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

In article <4vs7vi$...@panther.unisys.com.br>, Silvio
<gps...@uninet.com.br> writes

>smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith) wrote:
>>No flames please but:

>>Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

>That's a really good question here in Brazil. Some people refuse to
>pronounce it like "e", saying that in USA the pronounce is like "i". But
>I prefer the "e", and so do the most. Who can help us???

I'd like to know how the french pronounce it (or the Quebecois). "i" or
"e"?

Mark
Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

ark Williams <m...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk> writes:

sans doute, en france ca se prononce comme delphi...euh....en anglais
delpheeeeeee. got it?
John Patrick Lestrade         |
Lestr...@batse.msfc.nasa.gov  |
Lestr...@cesr.cnes.fr         |

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

Gee, I thought it was 'DELL' - 'PIE'.  ;)

Oh well.

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

On Aug 27, 1996 12:32:51 in article <Re: Del"FII" or Del"FEE">, 'Duncan

Margetts <dmarg...@scomhbr3.telecom.com.au>' wrote:
>Silvio wrote:

>> smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith) wrote:
>> >No flames please but:

>> >Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?
>> That's a really good question here in Brazil. Some people refuse to
>> pronounce it like "e", saying that in USA the pronounce is like "i". But
>> I prefer the "e", and so do the most. Who can help us???
>>  From: smi...@leav-emh.army.mil (Richard N. Smith)
>> No flames please but:
>> Do you pronounce Delphi as "i" or "e"?

>Dave Nottage answered this question quite conclusively
>some time ago, it is most definitly pronounced "Delphi".

I was *sure* it was pronouced  " delf-I "

--

Eli{*word*106}inson, president
Lightning Computer Techologies, Inc.

Re:Del"FII" or Del"FEE"

el...@nyc.pipeline.com(Eli{*word*106}inson) wrote:
>On Aug 27, 1996 12:32:51 in article <Re: Del"FII" or Del"FEE">, 'Duncan
>Margetts <dmarg...@scomhbr3.telecom.com.au>' wrote:
>>Dave Nottage answered this question quite conclusively
>>some time ago, it is most definitly pronounced "Delphi".

I didn't see Duncan's original post, just this reply to it, but, in
the interest of credit where credit is due, I'm pretty certain that it
was Dave Sherohman who said, "The correct pronunciation is 'Delphi'",
followed by a mention of how this seems to come up every couple months
and never really goes anywhere, despite a lot of talk about it.

(Of course, I might not be so concerned over the statement's
attribution if it had been said by someone else...)

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads