BDE can't open tables in folders with long paths

Hi everyone

I recently upgraded my PC and for some obscure reason Borland's BDE can't
access some tables when they are located deep in the directory structure on
my new HDD.

For example: the tables for the demos supplied with Delphi 2.0 are located
in the following directory:
c:\program files\borland\delphi 2.0\demos\data
When I try to open these tables, whether through DataBase Desktop, DataBase
Explorer or TTable components in a Delphi app  the BDE returns an "Invalid
file name" error. Specifically Database Explorer sees all the tables (it
lists them in the tree structure on the lefthand side of the screen) but it
won't open any of them. DataBase Desktop will open some of the tables and
refuses to open others.
The problem disappears when I move these files to a directory that isn't
that deep e.g. C:\Data. The problem also disappears in Database Explorer
when I define a database with the DB's path set to
C:\progra~1\borland\delphi~1.0\demos\data instead of c:\program
files\borland\delphi 2.0\demos\data.
However, making this change to the DBDEMOS alias's definition doesn't make
the problem disappear in Delphi or Database Desktop as I thought it would.

The problem also arose when I tried to install the DemoExpl app, provided
on the delphi CD, in the following directory:
c:\program files\borland\delphi 2.0\demoexpl.
It worked fine when I installed the app in C:\demoexpl.

Could the problem be one of the following:
1) BDE doesn't work well with FAT32 drives. I used the same Delphi version
from the same CD on my previous HDD(which     wasn't formatted using FAT32,
the new HDD is) without experiencing this problem.
2) The new Win95 build is screwing around with BDE. I'm using Win95 ver
4.00.950 B on the my new PC. I used the version             of Win95 that
didn't support FAT32 on my previous machine without problems.

If anyone has any thoughts to what the cause of this problem is or if
anyone has experienced this problem as well PLEASE let me know.

TIA
Chris Olivier

Jesus Saves - Rejoice!!!

Re:BDE can't open tables in folders with long paths

In article <01bc9d2b$35e0a2c0$LocalHost@colivier>,
  "Chris Olivier" <coliv...@netcons.co.za> wrote:

> I recently upgraded my PC and for some obscure reason Borland's BDE can't
> access some tables when they are located deep in the directory structure on
> my new HDD.

> For example: the tables for the demos supplied with Delphi 2.0 are located
> in the following directory:
> c:\program files\borland\delphi 2.0\demos\data
> When I try to open these tables, whether through DataBase Desktop, DataBase
> Explorer or TTable components in a Delphi app  the BDE returns an "Invalid
> file name" error.
> Could the problem be one of the following:
> 1) BDE doesn't work well with FAT32 drives.
> 2) The new Win95 build is screwing around with BDE. I'm using Win95 ver
> 4.00.950 B on the my new PC.

I use Apollo 3.0 (DBF driver working along a TTable and TDataSource, but
without the BDE) and I'm looking for a solution to a similar problem. It
seems that I'm limited to a path (file name included) of 125 caracters.
If we're facing the same problem, it's not BDE's fault. Maybe it's an OS
problem ?(FAT 32 as you said...) I use W95 4.00.950B and NT4.00.1381
along with Delphi 2.01.

Anyone else?