Delphi 2.0 and Win95 network problem.

Urgent reply needed!

Keep getting the following error: (in this case on the local PC)

Unable to open table!
Directory controlled by other NET file.
File: E:\PDOXUSRS.LCK                   <- E: is the shared dir on the server.
Directory C:\DBMAIN                     <- C:\DBMAIN is the directory on the server that
                                           E: points to.

I have set up the net files on local PCs to point to the pdoxusrs.net
file (via a mapped drive E: = C:\DBMAIN on the server). The server has local
share set to TRUE and all local PCs have local share FALSE. Still, the first PC
that accesses the directory gets it, but all other PCs get an error message (above).
Have I missed something or... This setup works fine for Paradox 7.0 but what about
Delphi. Is there any special way I have to handle shared tables in Deplhi 2.0?

Please help since getting help in Croatia can tend to be a bit frustrating.

Re:Delphi 2.0 and Win95 network problem.

SubLink d.o.o. wrote:

> Urgent reply needed!

> Keep getting the following error: (in this case on the local PC)

> Unable to open table!
> Directory controlled by other NET file.
> File: E:\PDOXUSRS.LCK                   <- E: is the shared dir on the server.
> Directory C:\DBMAIN                     <- C:\DBMAIN is the directory on the server that
>                                            E: points to.

> I have set up the net files on local PCs to point to the pdoxusrs.net
> file (via a mapped drive E: = C:\DBMAIN on the server). The server has local
> share set to TRUE and all local PCs have local share FALSE. Still, the first PC
> that accesses the directory gets it, but all other PCs get an error message (above).
> Have I missed something or... This setup works fine for Paradox 7.0 but what about
> Delphi. Is there any special way I have to handle shared tables in Deplhi 2.0?

> Please help since getting help in Croatia can tend to be a bit frustrating.

We have the same problem after two of our machines blew up trying to run
on a network.  Yes, we set our LOCAL SHARE to true on the server, yes we
set all of our NET DIR'S to point to the correct server directory.
However, they still blew up when we were doing a simple test...scrolling
through the same table on two machines using a DBGrid.

It blew with an error like...FILE CORRUPT, OTHER THAN HEADER.  Now what
does that mean?  Ever since that blow up we have the same problem you
do.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is the BDE really this bad?

"SubLink d.o.o." <subl...@zg.tel.hr> wrote:
>Urgent reply needed!
>Unable to open table!
>Directory controlled by other NET file.
>File: E:\PDOXUSRS.LCK                       <- E: is the shared dir on the server.
>Directory C:\DBMAIN                 <- C:\DBMAIN is the directory on the server that
>                                       E: points to.

Hi there,

I've seen a LOT of software having problems with Root-Directories. It
is always worth a try to build an installation without this Root-Dir
problem. You may try out
C:\DBMAIN\TEMPDIR
copy all files from C:\DBMAIN to C:\DBMAIN\TEMPDIR
and then do not use E:\PDOXUSRS.LCK and try
E:\TEMPDIR\PDOXUSERS.LCK

I have no idea about the internals of your installation or this
problem, neither have I any chance to construct something similar here
where I am (hobby programmer, just at home, one machine, no network).

But as I said. I've seen a lot of software telling you the right file,
but using internally the wrong E:\\PDOXUSERS.LCK. This is because this
GetDir function returns no ending \ on all dirs except the root-dir.
I think it is worth a try.

Hope this helps
  Meik Weber

m.we...@public.ndh.com or