D4.2 exits prematurely on gif load

When I drop an Image Control on a new form, and select a GIF file for the
picture property (any GIF), D4.2 displays the GIF properly in the load dialog,
but just winks out when you hit OK.

No error message, no saved files, no resource loss (that I can see), no DLLs
left open, etc.

I uninstalled D4 from Control panel, reinstalled from CD same problem.

I upgraded to Patch #2, no change.

jpgs, bmps, are no problem, just GIFs

what gives? anyone else seen this?

bob

Re:D4.2 exits prematurely on gif load

b...@rtquotes.nospam.com wrote in message <7271br$su...@forums.borland.com>...
>When I drop an Image Control on a new form, and select a GIF file for the
>picture property (any GIF), D4.2 displays the GIF properly in the load dialog,
>but just winks out when you hit OK.

>No error message, no saved files, no resource loss (that I can see), no DLLs
>left open, etc.

>I uninstalled D4 from Control panel, reinstalled from CD same problem.

>I upgraded to Patch #2, no change.

>jpgs, bmps, are no problem, just GIFs

What third-party GIF software are you using?  GIF is not natively supported by Delphi.

You might try TGIFImage from Anders Melanders:
www.melander.dk/delphi/gifimage

efg
______________________________________
efg's Computer Lab:   www.efg2.com/lab

Earl F. Glynn                 E-Mail:  EarlGl...@att.net
Overland Park, KS  USA

Re:D4.2 exits prematurely on gif load

> jpgs, bmps, are no problem, just GIFs

> what gives? anyone else seen this?

Delphi only supports GIF files though 3rd Party Support, e.g. Anders
Melander excellent TGifImage component, this adds the GIF loading to the
TPicture object, so you obviously have a GIF Reader that is either out of
date (e.g. Delphi 2 /3 Code that doesn't support Delphi 4) or broken code.
Delphi also supports GIF and JPEG though the IPicture interface, you may
want to perform IPicture.loadfromstream on the files and see if they are
valid.

Hope that helps

Ian.

Other Threads