IBX and FireBird !.

Hi,

It can be that this is not the most appropriate space for this subject type,
but, lately in Brazi has been speaking if a lot in the subject of IBX not to
access in a future FireBird. This way, would it like of just an answer of
own Borland since this is a news of Borland, that if really that can
happen?!.

I know that some didn't answer and other they will simply tell me that that
is some strategy or they cannot speak!. But, attentive that those rumors are
doing some my friends they to change of IBX for IBO, and I admit that even
me am thinking seriously about adopting the same exit !.

Thank you the sincere answers.

Excuses for the English evil.

AHR

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

IBX will access FB and/or IB as long as doesn't change client library
interface. IBX is open source as FB and IB and I'm convinced that this
"rumor" comes from someone who doesn't known much about FB, IB, IBX; I even
doubt that he/she can do programming.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

"Anderson Haertel Rodrigues" <sin...@sintag.com.br> escribi en el mensaje

> Hi,

> It can be that this is not the most appropriate space for this subject
type,
> but, lately in Brazi has been speaking if a lot in the subject of IBX not
> access in a future FireBird. This way, would it like of just an answer of
> own Borland since this is a news of Borland, that if really that can
> happen?!.

> I know that some didn't answer and other they will simply tell me that
that
> is some strategy or they cannot speak!. But, attentive that those rumors
are
> doing some my friends they to change of IBX for IBO, and I admit that even
> me am thinking seriously about adopting the same exit !.

> Thank you the sincere answers.

> Excuses for the English evil.

> AHR

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

> I know that some didn't answer and other they will simply tell me that
that
> is some strategy or they cannot speak!. But, attentive that those rumors
are
> doing some my friends they to change of IBX for IBO, and I admit that even
> me am thinking seriously about adopting the same exit !.

I think it is safe to assume someone in the IBX community will keep a
version that will work with Firebird somewhere but it is an unknown who will
do that as the current mentors of the IBX project have stated they work with
InterBase as provided by Borland only.  If there is a group out there who
are already planning to keep IBX up with Firebird I am not aware of them.

If there are significant changes to continue supporting Firebird I would be
surprised if Borland would permit Firebird specific features to be put with
copies of Delphi, etc. So, a fork of IBX looks imminent to keep up with
Firebird.

If you use IBO I have made the commitment to support both database products.
I am even researching adding DB2 support as well.

FWIW,
Jason Wharton
CPS - Mesa AZ
http://www.ibobjects.com

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Ok.

It is known that Client is the same. But, these professionals even of own
Borland in Brazil say that everything is possible. In Tour of D6 for Brazil,
the technician of Borland answered me that everything is possible in itself
treating of Borland x IBPhoenix.

I am being very sincere!.

Also professionals of InterBase in Brazil speak in that " excuses to mention
names " Jeff it is not very near in the movement IBPhoenix and that he and
God only know how to say that if in the future IBX will access FireBird.

Today I know that IBX and FireBird talk her, but, I admit that cannot let to
pass in white the rumors that are so strong in Brazil.

AHR.

Sergio Samayoa <serg...@terra.com.gt> escreveu nas notcias de
mensagem:3b4b3053$1_2@dnews...

> IBX will access FB and/or IB as long as doesn't change client library
> interface. IBX is open source as FB and IB and I'm convinced that this
> "rumor" comes from someone who doesn't known much about FB, IB, IBX; I
even
> doubt that he/she can do programming.

> --
> Sergio Samayoa
> Lgica Software
> http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Thanks Jason.

I not use IBO, but, it is right that will use.

The rumors are many strong and coming even of people of Borland in Brazil!

AHR.

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Anderson Haertel Rodrigues wrote:

> Ok.

> Today I know that IBX and FireBird talk her, but, I admit that cannot let to
> pass in white the rumors that are so strong in Brazil.

If IBX stopped working with Firebird because they broke backwards compatibility
at the API level it would also stop working with dbExpress, BDE, FIB, ODBC and
the pure API level.  Sure you want to back something that is talking about
breaking every single non IBO written client application?

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   I don't think there are any Russians
(Please do not email    And there ain't no Yanks

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Jeff,

Do you want then to say that IBX will always access FireBird and the rumors
are not truthful?. And, if I marry that does it come to happen why is there
were changes in FireBird that turned him/it incompatible with IBX?

Thank you for the answers.

AHR

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

I am saying the same thing I have always said.  I do not have the time to
support both the main tree plus any forks that come along.  As long as FireBird
stays backwards compatible at the API level you should not have problems with
IBX and FireBird.  If Firebird breaks backwards compatibility then you will have
problems with every access method supplied by every Borland tool.  JBuilder,
Kylix, Delphi and BCB will all not work with Firebird with any in the box
supplied access method.

It is up to Firebird if they consider not breaking existing access methods (and
there for existing applications) important or not.  I will not be directly
supporting Firebird.  I don't have the free time to do so.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   I don't think there are any Russians
(Please do not email    And there ain't no Yanks
 me directly unless     Just corporate criminals
 asked.  Thank You)     Playing with tanks.  (Michael Been)

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Thank you Jeff.

This way I am + calm and I can say in the lists of national discussions on
InterBase which is really your position.

Success,
AHR.

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

In article <3B4C72DE.9F52E...@onramp.net>, overc...@onramp.net wrote...

> I am saying the same thing I have always said.  I do not have the time to
> support both the main tree plus any forks that come along.

Previously you said you were going to support the main tree and Borlands
'commercial' fork, have you changed you mind, or was this what you
meant?

"If" the API's diverge (either 'commercial IB' away from Interbase, or
Firebird away from Interbase), would you be prepared to open up the IBX
project so that others can do the extra work, but still maintain a
'single solution'?

Cheers

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Phil Shrimpton wrote:

> In article <3B4C72DE.9F52E...@onramp.net>, overc...@onramp.net wrote...

> Hi,

> > I am saying the same thing I have always said.  I do not have the time to
> > support both the main tree plus any forks that come along.

> Previously you said you were going to support the main tree and Borlands
> 'commercial' fork, have you changed you mind, or was this what you
> meant?

I do not consider the commercial a fork.  From an API level they are the same
and will continue to be the same.  IBX will always support the version of IB
that ships in the box which is the commercial version and the open sourced
version of IB.

> "If" the API's diverge (either 'commercial IB' away from Interbase, or
> Firebird away from Interbase), would you be prepared to open up the IBX
> project so that others can do the extra work, but still maintain a
> 'single solution'?

IBX is open sourced.  Anyone can fork it off for firebird or any other forks
that they want.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   I don't think there are any Russians
(Please do not email    And there ain't no Yanks
 me directly unless     Just corporate criminals
 asked.  Thank You)     Playing with tanks.  (Michael Been)

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

  Hi, Anderson. Be shure FIBPlus - descendant of FIBC like IBX - will
support any Firebird API extensions if those will appear.

Best regards.

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Hi,

Just an observer.

Mr. Anderson Haertel Rodrigues. Writing in the helpful IBX site has at least
done you one good. Your English has improved by leaps and bounds after just
two posts, or probably you may be a team.

I went to the IBO site yesterday. Did not like the un-proffessional negative
attitudes.

We love IBX
Allan

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Hi Ded,

I already used FIBCs and I know that he today is FIB+. But, like him it was
discontinued at that time, in 1999/2000 I decided to change for IBX. I say
plus, at that time FIBC was more used that own IBX in Brazil, but, a lot of
people made the same thing that me. Today I know that FIB+ has a series of
resources that IBX doesn't have, but, I don't know how FIB+ walks in the
world scenery.

Ok?!

Success,
AHR.

Ded <d...@hq.bereg.net> escreveu nas not?cias de
mensagem:3B4CA2A1.484AD...@hq.bereg.net...

>   Hi, Anderson. Be shure FIBPlus - descendant of FIBC like IBX - will
> support any Firebird API extensions if those will appear.

> Best regards.

Re:IBX and FireBird !.

Anderson Haertel Rodrigues wrote:
> I already used FIBCs and I know that he today is FIB+. But, like him it was
> discontinued at that time, in 1999/2000 I decided to change for IBX. I say
> plus, at that time FIBC was more used that own IBX in Brazil, but, a lot of
> people made the same thing that me. Today I know that FIB+ has a series of
> resources that IBX doesn't have, but, I don't know how FIB+ walks in the
> world scenery.

  Hi, Anderson. If you are interested, you can visit
http://www.second-dream.ru/
There are downloads, FAQ and forum in English and so on.
Sorry, it's my last post in this thread, it's getting to be like a spam.

Best regards.

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads