Creating pascal database applications

Hi,
Can anyone point out to me (a newcomer in programming) a good source code for
creating database applications with typed binary files which are accesed by an
index array.
I'm trying to create a simple money trasaction program with records kept
sorted by date and which ables users to add/delete/update records.
I get confused when trying to think of a concept for the above which might
seem to be simple and clear to the more advanced among you, help will be
appreciated.

P.S.
I'll be writing the app using delphi, but i do not intend to use their
database engine which is way to much and bloated for my application need at
the moment.