screen resolution and win95 font size

i hav found that you forms are also adjusted by the win95 font size

weather you have you font size set to large or small

if set to small and the form was designed with small font size then on
other machines where the font size was large then the form is effectivly
scaled up in size which means that you result in scroll bars

any body got a sloution or fudge to this

dan

Re:screen resolution and win95 font size

YES, I posted a message on this subject a while ago, I will go look for
it... Hold on.... digging....rumaging....fiddling.... Ah, ok found it. Here
are my notes on this issue:

======== LARGE FONT SIZE CAN GOOF YOU UP =======
HINT #1:    Setting large/small font mode without re-booting. Make sure you
are in small font mode to begin with. Make program changes and compile your
program to an EXE. IE: Build your program. Then go to display properties,
you can shortcut this by RIGHT clicking on your desktop and chosing
properties. Once there, click on settings tab. Then click advanced button to
get to the FONT mode. Then either click LARGE font or custom and pick a
number big like 150%. Then click apply. It will tell you that some programs
may appear funny. Click on. Then once you are back to the SETTINGS screen,
choose 1024x768 then click apply. Click whatever it takes to change video
settings, then when it says "System must reboot, reboot now?" click NO.  :)
The changes are already made because when the system changes video screen
size, it has already read the new font size settings :) What ever program
you HAD ALREADY loaded, will look small.Now ANY new program you execute will
be BIG. So now execute your program file and see what looks good and what
doesn't. Then go back to display properties and then the settings tab and
then the advanced button to change the font size. Then pick Small Font and
click apply and then get back to the settings screen and change back down to
800x600 and click apply and do everrything but reboot. The trick is to
change the font size THEN change the screen size! You must do both. So
basically you must start in 800x600 small font mode. Pretty cool huh? I am
just assuming the reasons why this works.

HINT #2:   Why it seems to keep changing the fonts on the forms:
I noticed that when I compiled my programs while in large font mode, that a
bunch of my fonts & sizes in my forms were all goofed up. So, I would change
them to look good. Then when I went back to small font mode, it looked all
goofed up again. I finally figured out (after about 30 reboots) that you
MUST NOT switch back & forth recompiling each time. You must PICK a mode and
stick with it.
IE: I compile my programs to an EXE file in 800x600 normal small font mode.
Then I do the font switch trick and then RUN the EXE file to do the test.
Then any changes I need to make, I switch back to small font mode.

HINT #3: Status bar seems out of alignment
You will need to take special care to make sure that the widths of each
field in the status bar has a proper width assigned to it. I use the
gettextextent thingy to help out with that.

HINT #4: Buttons on Toolbar seem goofed up real bad.
You need to set the ANCHORS a particular way for a good appearance to be
made in BOTH modes. Set the anchors as such.
LEFT:=FALSE
TOP:=TRUE
RIGHT:=FALSE
BOTTOM:=TRUE
I played with all kinds of combinations and this one worked the best. Also
set the anchors on each tool panel as such.
LEFT:=TRUE
TOP:=TRUE
RIGHT:=FALSE
BOTTOM:=FALSE
AUTOSIZE=TRUE

HINT #5: Why forms look too small and have scroll bars in them.
If you have some forms that you don't need to scroll and don't mind having
NON scrollable, then set the form's border style to:  bsSingle, You might
have to play a bit with the forms to get them to do what you want.

HINT #6: General things to consider.
I have found that the biggest problem is with forms all of a sudden being
not big enough to display the WHOLE form because I forgot the bsSingle thing
or other settings to make it display all of it. Also, buttons are a major
troublesome thing and try to keep with STANDARD FONTS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
Whatever you do, DO NOT COMPILE IN BOTH MODES and keep switching back &
forth. It will goof your forms up AND your mind :)

Anyway, this is a little of what I can share right now as to helping you
make programs work in LARGE FONT MODE. I had to figure out the switching of
the font modes without re-booting by myself :)

Davie

Davie

autogrow wrote:
> i hav found that you forms are also adjusted by the win95 font size

> weather you have you font size set to large or small

> if set to small and the form was designed with small font size then on
> other machines where the font size was large then the form is effectivly
> scaled up in size which means that you result in scroll bars

> any body got a sloution or fudge to this

> dan

Other Threads