what's the difference of developing DB application with ADO and BDE?

So thet you get more bugs and a slower program.
I did it and i found it the bigest mistake,
1. to many bugs in ado
2 nightmare deploymet on older pc's

walter

Mark Dai <da...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> can anyone tell me what's the difference of the way to opperate DB with
ADO
> and BDE? how should I migrate from BDE application to ADO based?

Re:what's the difference of developing DB application with ADO and BDE?

In article <89fd77$i...@bornews.borland.com>, abc_s...@candw.ky says...
> So thet you get more bugs and a slower program.
> I did it and i found it the bigest mistake,
> 1. to many bugs in ado
> 2 nightmare deploymet on older pc's

> walter
> Mark Dai <da...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > can anyone tell me what's the difference of the way to opperate DB with
> ADO
> > and BDE? how should I migrate from BDE application to ADO based?

Same here, if you know BDE and it's already deployed, stick with it.

--
Ron

please fix anti-spam address to reply
Hate Spam?  automated parse and reply
http://spamcop.net/

Re:what's the difference of developing DB application with ADO and BDE?

can anyone tell me what's the difference of the way to opperate DB with ADO
and BDE? how should I migrate from BDE application to ADO based?

Re:what's the difference of developing DB application with ADO and BDE?

I've converted a BDE Ttable based application to ADO and came across a
number of issues.

On the plus side I've ended up with an application that can use Access and
SQL server without any need for the BDE.  I can feel I'm 'moving with the
times', or MS-times anyway.  Its also good to have ADO connection strings
rather than BDE alias complications.

But on the way I've had to change all of the TTables to ADOQuery's and
basically recode quite a bit of the application so that it uses SQL properly
rather than using ISAM techniques.  So instead of reading tables, looking up
other records etc, I now use a single SQL query to do the lot.

I found that as an intermediate step I was able to convert from TTables to
TADOtables with minimal effort - except that 'findkey' doesn't work in
TADOtables !

But I ended up with a SINGLE USER application.  I couldn't find a sensible
combination of ADO cursor types and locations that enabled one users changes
and additions to be seen by another user !

So at that point I bit the bullet and converted all my TADOTables to
ADOquerys and used static cursor types.  Re-running the queries let me see
all the changes and additions and performance was not too bad.

Then I had to fix up some problems that arose from DBcombo lookup boxes that
referred to TADOQueries that now had restricted results sets in them instead
of the whole table as had been the case with Ttables.

On the whole, I'm happy now, but I would have liked a bit more guidance on
these issues before embarking on the change from BDE to ADO.  Although the
issues were SQL versus ISAM issues really.

Hope that helps / makes sense.

Other Threads