Is InfoPower suitable for client server development?

Are componenst such as  InfoPower suitable for Client Server
Development?

Thank you

Re:Is InfoPower suitable for client server development?

Yes

Mariusz

(InfoPower user since Delphi 1)

Re:Is InfoPower suitable for client server development?

Yes,

  HOWEVER, you better know what you are doing.  I hate to think how
many postings I've read with the following...

"I'm using a table with 100,000 records on a lookup field. Why is it so slow?"
Well, Infopower is doing a locate on a field - not a where clause.

Bottom line is, know how sql works and use IP sparingly.  Most people want to
overuse (especially in grids) and they end up with a poor performing app.

I personally refuse to use any third party anything in my apps that does database access.
I leave that important piece to myself.

Craig Baugh

Mariusz Horak <hor...@otuk.co.uk> wrote in message news:822m58$7u023@forums.borland.com...
> Yes

> Mariusz

> (InfoPower user since Delphi 1)

Re:Is InfoPower suitable for client server development?

I agree with Charlie Baugh, we take a lot of control, and prefer Dialog
boxes developed by us than lookup fields or that stuff. We've used Delphi
1,2,3 and now 5 to access Informix 7.2 backend databases

--
Ing. Eduardo Martnez Ocampo
Chief Of Information Systems

Re:Is InfoPower suitable for client server development?

InfoPower has some really great components, but they were developed
from a local (Paradox) table perspective.  I've seen them bring an MS
SQL Server (6.5) app to a screeching halt.  SQL Server 7 has greatly
improved record locking.  If you have InfoPower already, put together
a small app and watch what goes on behind the scenes using SQL
Monitor, and by checking the locking that's occurring on the backend.

Although InfoPower tools are great for a Paradox app, I prefer to
write my own SQL for lookups and incremental searches when developing
a C/S app.  And scalability is always an issue.  Also, the third-party
tools you use in your app will have to be upgraded as you upgrade your
versions of Delphi and recompile your projects.

Greg Maurer

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 02:19:41 -0500, Paul

Greg Maurer wrote:
> InfoPower has some really great components, but they were developed
> from a local (Paradox) table perspective.  I've seen them bring an MS
> SQL Server (6.5) app to a screeching halt.

    To be fair, Greg, it should be noted that simply placing a TwwDBEdit
into your application will not bring about this result.

    While it is true that *certain* InfoPower controls (particularly those
which use filters) have this effect, it is not true of all -- or even the
majority -- of the controls in the InfoPower suite.

    And I second your advice about using SQL Monitor, at least if you're
using the BDE.

    -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz   cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com