Board index » delphi » New ODBC / MSSQL Problem

New ODBC / MSSQL Problem

I have been happily using an ODBC - based alias to access a MSSQL 6.5
database for over a year.  I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
(SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
broken.  Setting params and then executing a stored proc or query results
in a "Operation not applicable" message. This only occurs when setting
params, and I've tried reconfiguring the BDE and ODBC every which way, to
no avail.  SQL Trace doesn't give me any clues.  Anyone else solved this
problem?  Thanks.

 

Re:New ODBC / MSSQL Problem


BTW -

Environment is Delphi 3, BDE 4.51, SQL Server 6.5 w/ Service Pack 4.
Offending BDE call is dbiQSetParams.

- MC

M. Carey <car...@marotz.com> wrote in article
<01bd17cf$14226730$08840018@cx49498-a>...

Quote
> I have been happily using an ODBC - based alias to access a MSSQL 6.5
> database for over a year.  I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
> (SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
> broken.  Setting params and then executing a stored proc or query results
> in a "Operation not applicable" message. This only occurs when setting
> params, and I've tried reconfiguring the BDE and ODBC every which way, to
> no avail.  SQL Trace doesn't give me any clues.  Anyone else solved this
> problem?  Thanks.

Re:New ODBC / MSSQL Problem


I, too have experienced this same problem. I've tried configuring the ODBC
driver many different ways, but to no avail. I finally just copied the old
2.65.0240 SQLSRV32.DLL file back into the windows\system directory and
haven't had any more problems. But, if I don't find an answer this will come
back to bite me when my users instal some other app that overwrites it. So,
I'd like to find a better solution.

thar...@signaturemedia.com

Quote
M. Carey wrote in message <01bd17cf$14226730$08840018@cx49498-a>...
>I have been happily using an ODBC - based alias to access a MSSQL 6.5
>database for over a year.  I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
>(SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
>broken.  Setting params and then executing a stored proc or query results
>in a "Operation not applicable" message. This only occurs when setting
>params, and I've tried reconfiguring the BDE and ODBC every which way, to
>no avail.  SQL Trace doesn't give me any clues.  Anyone else solved this
>problem?  Thanks.

Re:New ODBC / MSSQL Problem


Quote
In article <01bd17cf$14226730$08840018@cx49498-a>, M. Carey wrote:
> I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
> (SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
> broken.

If that's the new NT4 addon bundle, you'll have to backout the DLL.  At
least you figured out which DLL it was.  One of the two guys who
installed it in our shop reinstalled NT to get his machine working
again.  

Re:New ODBC / MSSQL Problem


Actually, the new SQL Server driver is a part of something MS calls the
"Microsoft Data Access Components 1.5", highlighted on their ODBC web page.
It also include new versions of OLEDB, ADO, RDO, etc.  This is something
that Borland must address, as this thing is packaged as if MS is going to
pass it out like candy.  Yes, I can (and did) re-install the 2.65 version
of the driver, but now I will be spending sleepless nights worrying that my
past and present users are going to eventually be installing this thing,
one way or the other. I suspect that this will find its way into everything
that comes out of MS in the future.

Scott Samet [TeamB] <Send...@No.Spam> wrote in article
<VA.00000207.0a9d0dc6@scottstoshiba>...

Quote
> In article <01bd17cf$14226730$08840018@cx49498-a>, M. Carey wrote:

> > I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
> > (SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
> > broken.

> If that's the new NT4 addon bundle, you'll have to backout the DLL.  At
> least you figured out which DLL it was.  One of the two guys who
> installed it in our shop reinstalled NT to get his machine working
> again.  

Re:New ODBC / MSSQL Problem


MS SQL Server driver v 3.50.305 supplied with MS DAC 1.5 is written for Odbc
3.0 specification and :))) is not completely compatible with old, tested
with Odbc 2.5 specification drivers, applications. So, it is faster and more
functional but requires fixes in old code, and probably Borland sometime
fixes it BDE-Odbc link.

Regards, Victor Poteryahin

Quote
M. Carey wrote in message <01bd188e$7a522b70$08840018@cx49498-a>...
>Actually, the new SQL Server driver is a part of something MS calls the
>"Microsoft Data Access Components 1.5", highlighted on their ODBC web page.
>It also include new versions of OLEDB, ADO, RDO, etc.  This is something
>that Borland must address, as this thing is packaged as if MS is going to
>pass it out like candy.  Yes, I can (and did) re-install the 2.65 version
>of the driver, but now I will be spending sleepless nights worrying that my
>past and present users are going to eventually be installing this thing,
>one way or the other. I suspect that this will find its way into everything
>that comes out of MS in the future.

>Scott Samet [TeamB] <Send...@No.Spam> wrote in article
><VA.00000207.0a9d0dc6@scottstoshiba>...
>> In article <01bd17cf$14226730$08840018@cx49498-a>, M. Carey wrote:

>> > I recently upgraded the MSSQL ODBC driver
>> > (SQLSRV32.DLL) from version 2.65 to 3.5, and now my applications are
>> > broken.

>> If that's the new NT4 addon bundle, you'll have to backout the DLL.  At
>> least you figured out which DLL it was.  One of the two guys who
>> installed it in our shop reinstalled NT to get his machine working
>> again.

Other Threads