Board index » delphi » FAXing via MAPI

FAXing via MAPI

Has anyone had any luck:

    - Faxing via Exchange (or just MAPI)
    - Dialling a phone via TAPI without having to load the stupid dialler
    - Using OLE to control emailing, address book, etc. without displaying
Outlook first?

I've reviewed the TEMAIL2 product but the samples don't control faxing
properly.

My use of

iOutlook := GetActiveOleObject('Outlook.Application')

sets up Outlook as an OLE object and fires it up, but it doesn't stop
Outlook from displaying when I control other objects in Outlook, yet the
same thing in VB seems to hide Outlook.

--
fr...@silk.nospam.net
(remove the "nospam" on reply)
Fred R. Dalgleish
Dalco Consulting

 

Re:FAXing via MAPI


On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:07:38 -0800, "Fred R. Dalgleish" <nospam.net>
wrote:

Quote
>Has anyone had any luck:

>    - Faxing via Exchange (or just MAPI)
>    - Dialling a phone via TAPI without having to load the stupid dialler
>    - Using OLE to control emailing, address book, etc. without displaying
>Outlook first?

>I've reviewed the TEMAIL2 product but the samples don't control faxing
>properly.

>My use of

>iOutlook := GetActiveOleObject('Outlook.Application')

>sets up Outlook as an OLE object and fires it up, but it doesn't stop
>Outlook from displaying when I control other objects in Outlook, yet the
>same thing in VB seems to hide Outlook.

Here is what we got to work:

ShellExecute (0, 'open',
              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

I started with Martin Djernaes mdURLLable component from the delphi
super page and then extracted the clues to compose the above line.
This brings up exchange and creates a fax.

Dennis Powers
PC/POLL SYSTEMS
V 319-556-2323
F 319-556-0835
Den...@pcpoll.com

Re:FAXing via MAPI


Dennis,

I'll give it a shot...thanx for:

Quote
>ShellExecute (0, 'open',
>              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
>              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

There are many, many, mysterious text strings that trigger actions, aren't
there? Do you know where there might be references to things like:
'mailto:[fax:'

Regards...Fred

Quote
Dennis Powers wrote in message <34c10a31.79018...@forums.borland.com>...
>On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:07:38 -0800, "Fred R. Dalgleish" <nospam.net>
>wrote:

>>Has anyone had any luck:

>>    - Faxing via Exchange (or just MAPI)
>>    - Dialling a phone via TAPI without having to load the stupid dialler
>>    - Using OLE to control emailing, address book, etc. without displaying
>>Outlook first?

>>I've reviewed the TEMAIL2 product but the samples don't control faxing
>>properly.

>>My use of

>>iOutlook := GetActiveOleObject('Outlook.Application')

>>sets up Outlook as an OLE object and fires it up, but it doesn't stop
>>Outlook from displaying when I control other objects in Outlook, yet the
>>same thing in VB seems to hide Outlook.

>Here is what we got to work:

>ShellExecute (0, 'open',
>              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
>              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

>I started with Martin Djernaes mdURLLable component from the delphi
>super page and then extracted the clues to compose the above line.
>This brings up exchange and creates a fax.

>Dennis Powers
>PC/POLL SYSTEMS
>V 319-556-2323
>F 319-556-0835
>Den...@pcpoll.com

Re:FAXing via MAPI


: "Fred R. Dalgleish" <nospam.net> wrote:

Quote
>Dennis,

>I'll give it a shot...thanx for:

>>ShellExecute (0, 'open',
>>              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
>>              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

>There are many, many, mysterious text strings that trigger actions, aren't
>there? Do you know where there might be references to things like:
>'mailto:[fax:'

There are - NONE. "fax" is a transport provider, so what you are doing
here is basically do a transport provider override.

There may be many transport providers, for instance: CIS, SMTP,
INTERNET and so on.

Quote
>Regards...Fred

--
mailto:Stefan.Hoffmeister (at) Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/
    PGP public key at homepage

Re:FAXing via MAPI


: "Fred R. Dalgleish" <nospam.net> wrote:

Quote
>Has anyone had any luck:

>    - Faxing via Exchange (or just MAPI)

Well, I am using TEmail...

Quote
>    - Dialling a phone via TAPI without having to load the stupid dialler

There are components on the Delphi Super Page doing that (or at least
making it easy). The author "David Moretti" (sp?) springs to mind. All
freeware with source.

Quote
>    - Using OLE to control emailing, address book, etc. without displaying
>Outlook first?

>I've reviewed the TEMAIL2 product but the samples don't control faxing
>properly.

What went wrong? Michael's demo covers quite a lot (actually he uses
TEmail in a commercial FAX notification service AFAIR) and I am pretty
sure that TEmail 2.06.00 works pretty well without problems on a
workstation with all patches/fixes installed.

Please do contact me ASAP privately
(mailto:Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de) in case of problems as I
have just started procedures to release 2.07.00.

PS: It would help if you had "silk.nospam.net" in your reply-to / from
address.
--
mailto:Stefan.Hoffmeister (at) Uni-Passau.de
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/
    PGP public key at homepage

Re:FAXing via MAPI


I think you have the right spelling. I found Dave Moretti's code extremely
helpful and useful. I was able to completely automate an application so
that it works over a WAN, almost as easily as on a LAN. The users don't
have to know anything about DUN, network mappings, etc.

Harry M. Pierson
DREJ Consulting

Stefan Hoffmeister <no.spam.ple...@see.signature> wrote in article
<34c74a9e.6436...@forums.borland.com>...

Quote
> : "Fred R. Dalgleish" <nospam.net> wrote:

> >Has anyone had any luck:

> >    - Faxing via Exchange (or just MAPI)

> Well, I am using TEmail...

> >    - Dialling a phone via TAPI without having to load the stupid
dialler

> There are components on the Delphi Super Page doing that (or at least
> making it easy). The author "David Moretti" (sp?) springs to mind. All
> freeware with source.

Re:FAXing via MAPI


Hi Dennis,
On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:49:20 GMT, Den...@pcpoll.com (Dennis Powers)
wrote:

Quote
>ShellExecute (0, 'open',
>              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
>              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

the above code doesn't work for me.
I tried to start it with
ShellExecute(0,'open','mailto:[FAX:'+PhoneNumber+']','',SW_SHOWNORMAL);
but it simply did NOTHING (Delphi 3, Win95, Microsoft Fax installed).
Could you give me a hint ?

Thanks in advance,
Richey

___________________________________________________________________
[ E-MAIL: SPAMKILL_r.fell...@xpoint.at (please remove SPAMKILL_). ]
[ Get the "Advertising Screensaver", the "Phantastic Screensaver" ]
[ or INF-Tool, the *special* setup software from my Website at    ]
[ http://www.user.xpoint.at/r.fellner/, home of the DELPHI-BOX,   ]
[ providing more than 1000 links & infos about Borland's Delphi ! ]

Re:FAXing via MAPI


On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:59:20 GMT, M...@No.Spam (Richey / Delphi-Box)
wrote:

Quote
>Hi Dennis,
>On Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:49:20 GMT, Den...@pcpoll.com (Dennis Powers)
>wrote:

>>ShellExecute (0, 'open',
>>              PChar ('mailto:[fax:+1 ' +'123-123-1234' +']'),
>>              NIL, NIL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

>the above code doesn't work for me.
>I tried to start it with
>ShellExecute(0,'open','mailto:[FAX:'+PhoneNumber+']','',SW_SHOWNORMAL);
>but it simply did NOTHING (Delphi 3, Win95, Microsoft Fax installed).
>Could you give me a hint ?

>Thanks in advance,
>Richey

I found that the '+1 ' portion was essential.  I have no idea why.

Dennis Powers
PC/POLL SYSTEMS
V 319-556-2323
F 319-556-0835
Den...@pcpoll.com

Other Threads