connect without DSN

How do i Connect to a database without using any DSN?

Re:connect without DSN

Jimmy,

with what architecture? ADO, ODBC?

--
Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

"This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object."

"Jimmy " < .com> wrote in message news:3ce38da3$1_1@dnews...

> How do i Connect to a database without using any DSN?

Re:connect without DSN

I guess it's ADO, I have no ODBC driver so I want another way to get to the information.

"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@upscene_remove.com> wrote:
>Jimmy,

>with what architecture? ADO, ODBC?

>--
>Martijn Tonies
>InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird
>http://www.interbaseworkbench.com

>Upscene Productions
>http://www.upscene.com

>"This is an object-oriented system.
>If we change anything, the users object."

>"Jimmy " < .com> wrote in message news:3ce38da3$1_1@dnews...

>> How do i Connect to a database without using any DSN?

Re:connect without DSN

You need ODBC or OLE DB provider to access from MSDAC. Check contrinuted
downloads at www.ibphoenix.com

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Re:connect without DSN

Witch one do you recommend? The Easysoft driver is to expensive I think. I will rather not pay for it.

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>You need ODBC or OLE DB provider to access from MSDAC. Check contrinuted
>downloads at www.ibphoenix.com

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

Expensive? Is just $300 per SERVER.

--

"Jimmy" <jnilsso...@hotmail.com> escribi en el mensaje

> Witch one do you recommend? The Easysoft driver is to expensive I think. I

will rather not pay for it.

> "Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
> >You need ODBC or OLE DB provider to access from MSDAC. Check contrinuted
> >downloads at www.ibphoenix.com

> >--
> >Sergio Samayoa
> >Lgica Software
> >http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

I have installed the Easysoft driver now, but when I try to connect with ASP i get the message Object Required '' on the conn.open line. What am I missing, I think it looks right?

<%
Dim Conn, RS
Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open ("Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password=masterkey;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=SYSDBA;Data Source=testdatabase")
%>

/Jimmy

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>Expensive? Is just $300 per SERVER.

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

>"Jimmy" <jnilsso...@hotmail.com> escribi en el mensaje

>> Witch one do you recommend? The Easysoft driver is to expensive I think. I
>will rather not pay for it.

>> "Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>> >You need ODBC or OLE DB provider to access from MSDAC. Check contrinuted
>> >downloads at www.ibphoenix.com

>> >--
>> >Sergio Samayoa
>> >Lgica Software
>> >http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

I dont use such ODBC but when I use ODBC data sources in asp pages I issue
the connection open method like:

    conn.Open "DNS=MYDSN", strUser, strPassword

AFAIK you use PROVIDER in the connection string when you use OLE DB
provider.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software
http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

Still get the Object Required '' when I use

Conn.Open "DSN=testdatabase", "SYSDBA", "masterkey"

I'm starting to get really frustrated, I don't get it.

/Jimmy

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>I dont use such ODBC but when I use ODBC data sources in asp pages I issue
>the connection open method like:

>    conn.Open "DNS=MYDSN", strUser, strPassword

>AFAIK you use PROVIDER in the connection string when you use OLE DB
>provider.

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

Holly ... !

When you create objects you must use SET:

set Conn = Server.Create("ADODB.Connection")

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software
http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

I know. The whole connection looks like this, but i still get the same message.

Dim Conn, RS, SQL
Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open "testdatabas", "SYSDBA", "masterkey"

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>Holly ... !

>When you create objects you must use SET:

>set Conn = Server.Create("ADODB.Connection")

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

Because you still write

Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

And you MUST write

set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software
http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Re:connect without DSN

Okay, sorry I'm a little slow but you get blind sometimes, now it works just fine, thank u very much for your help!

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>Because you still write

>Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

>And you MUST write

>set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/